• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OMG HURRRICANE!!!!!!!111!!!!1

It would take a helluva lot of standing water to flood or alter a school bus. Again, probably much safer to be in a school bus than in the LCD's trailer situated in the troublesome low-lying areas. It isn't raining any worse than other normal rainy day in March/April and, as Biff said, it is supposed to be over by about 3:30. But standstill the entire city's public and private productivity yet again for no real reason.

It takes 2-3 feet of moving water (flood water in/after a storm isn't "standing water") to move a school bus. There were definitely roads in and around the metro with that much after Florence. Unsure if it's happening/will happen today, but it could.

We could see 50-60 MPH winds on the backside, even after it stops raining, between 3-6. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hear about kids in the mountains or triad being stuck in schools, buses, etc. with things catching them more by surprise (and the mountains getting much more rain).

i think the decision from guilford county was all about school buses being on the road during the projected worst part of the storm between 12-5 roughly. Charlotte may actually dodge the high winds, it looks like they are staying to the southeast side of the storm and may tag central NC on the way out.

hrrr1.thumb.png.025779e22c4eb6b031803625c1ba227b.png

Here's one of the short term models showing the back side winds that are concerning folks. It also shows them strengthening as they head east.

Actual wind measurements (as reported on weather.com windspeed layer) show a small area of 40-50 mile wind around charlotte and a much larger area of 40-50 mile wind in the Florence SC area (basically, most of the low country is getting it right now).

my office windows are shaking like hell right now and the wind is LOUD out there. (In the Charlotte Plaza building)

UNC is moving to Condition 1 at 2pm, and I told a girl classes were canceled, but I guess they aren't. Oops. Sorry girl. We are all confused. Condition 1 basically means nothing except that every email about the situation then has to include something saying, like, "your safety is our main concern." Instructors can cancel classes if they want to, except for the Monday after Florence, when it was Condition 1 and classes WERE canceled. F this place, man.

I just drove from Huntersville to Dilworth and back, and can confirm that it is in fact raining and windy. Still not sure what both or either have to do with cancelling school. The power also apparently went out at my house, which to the extent that the power going out is the modern WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE situation it is made out to be, reinforces my position that the kids are better off in school buildings than in their doublewides.

You can really be an idiot. I was just driving in it after we lost power at the office and got sent home to work. There is no way you'd want kids out in anything like that. Good amount of debris flying around, saw a tree down, some sagging power lines, and heard a transformer blow.

I was told we had a 62 MPH gust at the office, but things already seem to be calming down as that band is almost through.

I was shocked FCS didn't close today. I think Bev Emery still must be smarting from the criticism over closing the two days before Florence arrived, allowing the kids two days of beautiful weather and no school.

I was shocked FCS didn't close today. I think Bev Emery still must be smarting from the criticism over closing the two days before Florence arrived, allowing the kids two days of beautiful weather and no school.

I was dead ass wrong in questioning the Guilford School decision. WSFCS made a massive mistake today. I realized it around 1 and ran and got my kids out of school early. There are multiple cars stalled out trying to get into Whitaker to pick up their kids.

Tree down across Tanglewood exit off 40. A tree fell on an SUV downtown on one of the 40 ramps.

Trees down across Germanton near Hanes Mill.

Power is out in High Point. It got really windy there for a while.

It is raining like a sonuvabitch in Raleigh. Gonna be scary when the wind picks up later on.

It's over here in Charlotte.

Have the winds picked up there? Rain has come through Winston but the back-end wind is starting to pick up a bit. Some weather nerds twitter's are saying the wind gusts after the rain passes through are supposed to be very strong.

And yea, not cancelling school in Winston was a mistake. Trees are down all over. Massive one down at Hawthorne and Miller

Back