• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread

Dont remember it being nearly that warm

I remember thinking it was really comfortable outside for late December.

If we’re going to Charlotte, I’d like to see us play Texas A&M. That would be a fun matchup.

I did see a projection that had the Aggies and the Longhorns playing in the Texas Bowl. That would be pretty cool. Of all the rivalry games that were lost in Conference realignment, that’s the one I miss seeing the most.

Based on what? That doesn't make any sense geographically

Process of elimination.

Alabama to the CFP. Georgia and Auburn to the New Year’s Six Bowls.

The Columbia newspaper reported on November 20 that “conference insiders” believe that the Citrus Bowl will select Mississippi State.

The would leave five teams: South Carolina, LSU, Kentucky, Texas A&M and Mizzou.

The Jacksonville paper reported that the Taxslayer Bowl has narrowed its focus to South Carolina and LSU. But the Columbia newspaper believes that the Outback Bowl is more likely for South Carolina. So I put South Carolina in the Outback Bowl and LSU in the Taxslayer. But I also read that LSU is pushing for the Outback, so maybe those two are flip-flopped.

That leaves Kentucky, Texas A&M and Mizzou.

I believe that the Belk Bowl and Kentucky want no part of each other. That’s because the Belk Bowl is scheduled to kickoff at the exact same time as the UK-Louisville basketball game. The Music City Bowl (also the same day as UK-UL basketball, but at least a different time) or Liberty Bowl are the more likely destinations for Kentucky.

That leaves Texas A&M and Mizzou, and three open bowl slots: the Texas Bowl, Belk Bowl and either the Liberty or Music City (whichever doesn’t take Kentucky).

Texas A&M played in the Texas Bowl recently. Also that bowl might get Texas, and the Longhorns are reportedly opposed to the idea of rekindling their rivalry with Texas A&M. Texas A&M went to the Liberty in 2014. This article specifically mentions the Belk Bowl as a potential destination for the Aggies (it's actually the only potential destination mentioned): http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-maintaining-focus-amid-speculation-12370137.php

It’s worth noting that the SEC will not have enough teams to fill all of the bowls in this tier. So it’s possible that the Belk Bowl won’t get an SEC team at all. But I think it’s more likely that the Liberty Bowl is the one that gets shortchanged.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that a school like Mississippi State or South Carolina won’t end up at the Belk Bowl. It’s certainly possible. I’m just saying that Texas A&M and Mizzou are the most likely teams heading into the weekend.

Thanks for the breakdown. They'll have 9 or 10 bowl teams. The only way they don't fill is if Ole Miss loses, Auburn wins the Iron Bowl and gets in the CFP.

Thanks for the breakdown. They'll have 9 or 10 bowl teams. The only way they don't fill is if Ole Miss loses, Auburn wins the Iron Bowl and gets in the CFP.

I think Ole Miss self-imposed a bowl ban. It would help the lower-tier bowls if Auburn fell down to the Citrus.

Yes, thanks for the info 94. Like to know where this info is sourced from.

Gator Bowl I guess making clear to the SEC who they want. Not surprising from those whiny bitches.

All of this further incentive to hope for better than the Belk Bowl

I think Ole Miss self-imposed a bowl ban. It would help the lower-tier bowls if Auburn fell down to the Citrus.

Will say I would be surprised if Auburn makes a NY6 bowl with a loss on Saturday. Def possible, but not very likely IMO

Will say I would be surprised if Auburn makes a NY6 bowl with a loss on Saturday. Def possible, but not very likely IMO

That would obviously improve the Belk Bowl's chances of getting a team like South Carolina or Mississippi State.

Might depend on what happens with the ACC, if they get two in the CFP, and whether Notre Dame beats Stanford. You have to figure the Pac-12 will get one, the Big 12 will get one if Oklahoma beats TCU in the Big12CG, and the Big 10 might only get one if Wisconsin beats Ohio State in the Big10CG. Have to fill 12 slots somehow. If Auburn loses a close one on Saturday, you figure the CFP committee won't punish them too much in the rankings. That would be three close losses, two to top-4 teams.

Can't imagine Mississippi State is improving their bowl stock tonight with this performance (though I'm sure they were deflated once their QB got knocked out of the game).

Still expect them to be ranked ahead of UCF next week though, because SSSS...EEEE...CCCC!!!

Can't imagine Mississippi State is improving their bowl stock tonight with this performance (though I'm sure they were deflated once their QB got knocked out of the game).

Still expect them to be ranked ahead of UCF next week though, because SSSS...EEEE...CCCC!!!

Guess there's not a whole lot of bowl talk on the UNC boards, huh?

Also re: the TaxSlayers floating out potential teams for this year's bowl -- welp, they did that last year too:

Also re: the TaxSlayers floating out potential teams for this year's bowl -- welp, they did that last year too:

That is actually more of a "dream list" that reflects their former status as an upper tier bowl game. They have fallen down to a lower level with a much less prestige and importance. I hope that Wake never plays in their shitty game.

To amplify that point, in the last decade, the Belk Bowl has had as many ranked teams appear in the game as the TaxSlayer

Last edited:
The notion of UK not playing in a bowl on the same day as their basketball game keeps coming up, but sites also keep projecting them for the Belk bowl. Is this just a case of these predictors - ESPN - not doing their homework or is the idea of UK’s preference over blown?

The notion of UK not playing in a bowl on the same day as their basketball game keeps coming up, but sites also keep projecting them for the Belk bowl. Is this just a case of these predictors - ESPN - not doing their homework or is the idea of UK’s preference over blown?

The latter

Back