• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

As awesome as a million dollars landing in my lap from the sky

Your argument was that conference championships hurt the participants and I showed you that it didn't hurt tOSU at all. Also helped Southern Cal move up in the rankings.

Any playoff with Wisconsin involved is pathetic.

We just look at it differently. It hurt OSU imo because conference title games aren't sufficiently weighted to overcome losses like OSU's bad regular season loss against Iowa. It was weighted enough to shoot UGA past Alabama. I just believe the four should be selected from P5 conference champions.

If Alabama or other similarly situated teams are going to be measured by a body of work during the regular season then all teams should as well, and conference title games should be nothing more than exhibition games. Pick one or the other, don't use a combination of both to determine playoff teams. Either pick among P5 conference champs or weigh regular season schedules.

If you’d like some entertainment check out the comments on the bowl announcement on A&M Football’s Facebook. They’re...unhappy.

That's good. And I hope they pass on the game. I seem to recall ASU back in '99 being upset with playing us in the Aloha Bowl and we killed them. I'd love a win vs. aTm on our record.

Don't really get the obsession with conference champions all of a sudden. It wasn't there in the BCS era, and that was just two teams. Not to mention that the quality of conferences can vary wildly, as we almost always see with the B0G come bowl season.

Teams don't play round-robin schedules so who wins a conference can be significantly affected by who gets who at home, a la Auburn-Alabama, and subsequently who wins divisions and makes conference championship games. Also, non-conference play essentially becomes irrelevant. So think it would be really dumb and dilute the product to make conference championships all that matter

We just look at it differently. It hurt OSU imo because conference title games aren't sufficiently weighted to overcome losses like OSU's bad regular season loss against Iowa. It was weighted enough to shoot UGA past Alabama. I just believe the four should be selected from P5 conference champions.

If Alabama or other similarly situated teams are going to be measured by a body of work during the regular season then all teams should as well, and conference title games should be nothing more than exhibition games. Pick one or the other, don't use a combination of both to determine playoff teams. Either pick among P5 conference champs or weigh regular season schedules.

It definitely helped OSU, just not enough to push them past a one-loss Alabama. Not having sufficient strength isn't the same as "hurting" chances. W/o the CG win, OSU would've had no chance at all.

Ummm, if the committee completely ignored tOSU's conference championship game (which they didn't) then it didn't hurt them.

The Penn State board must be trolling Bucknuts big time. I would have loved it if they put So Cal in there and have Meyers and Saban play each other in the whinney Bowl.

Yeah, should be saying "didn't sufficiently help" instead of "hurt," my mistake. Nonetheless, for those attacking OSU's schedule, Alabama's isn't anything special. Best wins over LSU & Miss St. not good enough to get a second SEC team in over OSU in my, obviously unpopular, opinion.

That opinion shouldn't be unpopular. No other team has or will ever make the playoff with a worse resume and less/worse quality wins than Bama this year. They got in because of the name on their jerseys. That's it.

Or Ohio State giving up 55 points and losing by 31 to a Kirk Ferentz-coached team

Does anyone know when the match-ups will be offcially announced?

Sure that was terrible. But, Ohio St was 2-1 against top 10 teams. And has a conf championship. Bama was 0-1. Those should easily outweigh one bad loss, given the committee's published criteria for selection.

State playing Arizona State in the Sun.

Lol, Pack.

It happens. Especially with bowl politics. Beat the two teams we lost to on our schedule that we should have handled and we may be in a NY6 game. Did it to ourselves.

Sure that was terrible. But, Ohio St was 2-1 against top 10 teams. And has a conf championship. Bama was 0-1. Those should easily outweigh one bad loss, given the committee's published criteria for selection.

If Penn State and Wisconsin had actually beaten anyone I could go along with this argument a little more.

People make fun of Alabama's best win being LSU but at least they beat Auburn. I still agree Ohio State has better wins, but it's not the disparity some people make it out to be. Galloway was somehow saying beating Miss. State on the road with Miss. State's QB healthy was a bad thing, but that's a good win

It happens. Especially with bowl politics. Beat the two teams we lost to on our schedule that we should have handled and we may be in a NY6 game. Did it to ourselves.

I was really hoping for a State-Purdue matchup in the Pinstripe Bowl. Bummed

If you're referring to us, we were favored in the game.

You did outplay us though and shot yourselves in the foot

And lost to Troy in Baton Rouge. Alabama scored a TD in the last minute to beat Miss St as well.

I don't see why the last part matters. A road win of any type against a top 25 team is a good thing. Were people punishing Clemson for a similarish win over State? Don't think so.

And yeah Troy was a bad loss but Troy did win 10 games, not like they were an FCS team. At least LSU proved they were capable of beating a big boy, unlike PSU or Wisky

Last edited:
Back