• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

Yep. Just how the bowls work. From stuff I’ve read Yow used up whatever pull/cache she had in maneuvering us to a bowl game last season so that we could push the “look we are improving and beating SEC teams” narrative that Doeren has been pushing to elite NCSU recruits. Has paid off this season on the recruiting trail but when you lose most of your close games and don’t control your own destiny this is what you get.

Part that pisses me off more than anything is what a fraud the Coastal continues to be. VT and Miami’s records are a joke compared to how good they actually are.

Yep. It's up to us to win our games against the Coastal. We didn't.

The good news is that even if we had done that, I don't think our bowl destination changes. Very much doubt the Camping World taking us over VT with the same record.

Then maybe we'd be griping about playing a 7-5 team that just fired their coach

Well if they feel like those players will help them win a national championship, it makes sense to play them.

No I get it, just pointing out that, if true, those players haven't seen the field in around 3.5 months to date. They're playing one of the best offenses in the country with speed and size all over the field. Doubt even Bama can simulate that well enough in practice to knock the rust off and get them game-ready.

Last edited:
Found this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bamaha...-talks-sugar-bowl-return-injured-players/amp/

The article reports 3 of the injured linebackers (a fourth is out for the season) played sparingly against Auburn; but will be full speed by the Sugar Bowl. The injuries were a major loss in an atypically average year for the Alabama defense (numerous articles describe this in much greater detail if one is truly interested including Sabans scheme for making his linebackers the cornerstone of the defense). Whether this will enable Alabama to defeat Clemson remains to be seen. It certainly will help their chances. I live in Alabama, played soccer in college, do not understand the nuances in American football and pull for the deacs alone, so I have no horse in this race. Simply reporting the conversations around town.

No I get it, just pointing out that, if true, those players haven't seen the field in around 3.5 months to date. They're playing one of the best offenses in the country with speed and size all over the field. Doubt even Bama can simulate that well enough in practice to knock the rust off and get them game-ready.

The great part is January 1st will prove if you are correct.

Pretty rich that the majority opinion on Pack Pride is that they got screwed and/or passed over for Wake and BC when they have gone to better bowls than they deserved for years due to traveling well.

The "Marcus Ginyard effect" is back!

But seriously, we're supposed to believe players got hurt during the first game of the season and didn't redshirt or medical redshirt? They're going to burn a year of eligibility now?

I guess if those aren't options they have to play, but I don't really see how guys that haven't played in months will give them the best chance to shut down Clemson's offense.

Saban doesn't need to redshirt anybody.

We’ve gone from the possibility of going to the Belk Bowl in Charlotte where we would draw a strong crowd, to the probability of being bumped down to the Sun Bowl in god-awful El Paso, and a small draw of loyal Wake fans. What a difference a week makes.

You really believe that State is not inevitable choice for Belk?

I will say that a win today combined with a State loss may have positioned us well for the Belk. That didn’t happen and I agree with you that State is destined for the Belk now.

I can see this horrible scenario in which we get bumped down to a tier 3 bowl if FSU wins. That would put Virginia Tech, Louisville, NC State, and FSU in to the second tier.

Now Notre Dame is going to lose and further screw up our bowl possibilities. If they are left out of the NY 6, then we will say hello Shreveport.

Yes, today’s loss will end up having Bowl consequences. It is what it is now.

I was worried that even with a win yesterday Wake would still get picked over and end up in a shitty bowl location and matchup. At least now the shitty bowl has been earned.

Going to Shreveport to play some nobody directional school would be a fitting reward for getting “outplayed and out coached” by goddamned Duke.

The Toilet Bowl------------Deacs versus Swirling Turds

Bump

Seems like Belk locked onto us pretty early and the Duke loss didn't deter them.

We got lucky. Moving forward we need at least 8 wins to make sure we get where we want

Seems like Belk locked onto us pretty early and the Duke loss didn't deter them.

That would be correct. The Belk Bowl wanted us last year with 7 wins just based on our great ticket efforts the year we played UConn. They just couldn't justify it with 6 wins. So this year with 7 wins we had it locked in. The Wuffies peed in their own cornflakes back in September by having such a poor representation against the Gamecocks in Charlotte. It was easily 2/3 SC and they take notice of that. For a team that "thought" they was ACCCG worthy, they sure don't represent very well!

Some revisions:
Duke to Quick Lane vs Northern Illinois
FSU to Independence vs Southern Illinois
BC to Pinstripe vs Iowa
UVa to Military vs Navy
VT to Camping World in Orlando vs Oklahoma St
Wake Forest to Belk to play Texas A&M
Louisville to Sun [NC State vs Arizona St]
NC State to TaxSlayer [Louisville vs Mississippi State & the cowbells]
Miami/Clemson to Orange vs Wisconsin
Notre Dame to Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus in Orlando vs LSU
Clemson/Miami to CFP vs Bama in Superdome

Not too bad, missed NC State & Louisville

You should learn not to trust people on the internet. Or better yet, learn who the smart, thoughtful, non-reactionary people are and trust them.

Truth. Those quotes Colonel Angus (great name, BTW) compiled are hilarious.

We got lucky. Moving forward we need at least 8 wins to make sure we get where we want

There is a false narrative on these boards that Wake doesn't travel well to bowls, and therefore we're "going to Shreveport!!!!" That was written many, many times on here before the Belk bowl, Military Bowl, Music City Bowl, etc. The truth is that Wake travels well to bowl games and will do so again this year.

People no doubt overreacted to the Duke loss (self not included), but we still were quite fortunate this year the bowls fell in all our favor

People no doubt overreacted to the Duke loss (self not included), but we still were quite fortunate this year the bowls fell in all our favor

It was just a disappointing way to end what has been a really good season. With the strength of schedule, I think many thought we'd be lucky to go 6-6 and anything above that would be gravy. We had a great chance at 8-4 and laid an egg. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't appeared to have changed much, other than maybe we would've had a shot at finishing in the top 25 with a bowl win.

That would be correct. The Belk Bowl wanted us last year with 7 wins just based on our great ticket efforts the year we played UConn. They just couldn't justify it with 6 wins. So this year with 7 wins we had it locked in. The Wuffies peed in their own cornflakes back in September by having such a poor representation against the Gamecocks in Charlotte. It was easily 2/3 SC and they take notice of that. For a team that "thought" they was ACCCG worthy, they sure don't represent very well!

Meh. More of a representation of SC fans traveling well. Columbia is way closer to CLT than Raleigh, anyone with half a brain would expect that stadium to be full of SC fans. The Deacs getting the Belk Bowl had nothing to do with NCSU fans showing up for that game or any other well attended game that NCSU has been in at BoA. Deacs got the Belk Bowl because they have showed out well in the past for good bowl games and had a good season. That coupled with NCSU already playing once in CLT this season made the choice a no brainer. Deacs got a really good matchup too, i'm sure you guys are happy to avoid MSU and the cow bells.....

Back