• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

when I was in Amsterdam boarding an intra-Europe KLM a few weeks ago, they basically just let all of coach on at once and it sorts itself out.

when flying back to Amsterdam from Helsinki on KLM, they had gates where you scanned your boarding pass (like getting on a subway or something) and if it wasn't your zone boarding, it wouldn't let you on as happened with the lady in line in front of me.

either of those are better options than how it works in the US now.

How is that different from zoned boarding inthe US ?

How is that different from zoned boarding inthe US ?

The former was different because no zones. The latter made it so you don’t have people trying to board when not their zone to gain overhead space. Basically the zones were actually enforced.

Exactly. This is so obvious. Not sure why people don't understand that the carry-on space is the reason why you have to spread out boarding.

I was in one of the last boarding zones getting on like a peasant, with a seat in 8c. When I got on there was still overhead room over my seat because they loaded back to front.

Myth killed

It would make more sense to board back window to front aisle. SW has shown people will lineup by letter and number. Just start with seat A and start with the highest row number. Then F, B, E, C, D.

Last edited:
Once again, the overhead overloading issue could be solved if airlines limited women to one bag period. At least a dozen women on every flight put their personal items in overhead compartments. Your monogrammed “diaper bag” goes under the seat or we throw you out over Kansas.

Once again, the overhead overloading issue could be solved if airlines limited women to one bag period. At least a dozen women on every flight put their personal items in overhead compartments. Your monogrammed “diaper bag” goes under the seat or we throw you out over Kansas.
I don’t think women are the only ones that shove random bullshit in the overhead bins. I see plenty of dudes putting there little lag pack carrying there fortnight engraved PlayStation up there instead of under the seat in front of them. Otherwise this is a good take.

Hey dude who laid his suit jacket across the overhead bin. Get a clue.

I just slide my roller board in right on top of the jacket. He’ll get up and move it.

Yes, this. Especially when it's a plastic shopping bag that looks like it might have something breakable in it that belongs under the seat.

Also, does it surprise anyone else that airlines haven't figured out how to monetize the overhead space? Like charging to reserve a specific slot?

I was in one of the last boarding zones getting on like a peasant, with a seat in 8c. When I got on there was still overhead room over my seat because they loaded back to front.

Myth killed
I suspect this is because back-seaters generally aren't stealing front bin space because they're lazy or it's that much more convenient, but because they're afraid that they'll get to the back and the spaces will already be full and they'll get fucked. Could be

Myth killed

it's relatively cool today

global warming is a hoax

If I only brought a backpack on board, you better believe it's going in the overhead bin.

Have we covered whether or not it's socially appropriate to wedge the armrest down over someone's fat that is spilling over into your seat? Because I did that on a recent flight. I had to put a little elbow grease into it, but I got it into the fully deployed position despite his ample side gut.

Have we covered whether or not it's socially appropriate to wedge the armrest down over someone's fat that is spilling over into your seat? Because I did that on a recent flight. I had to put a little elbow grease into it, but I got it into the fully deployed position despite his ample side gut.

Yeah that is acceptable. You pay for your seat you should get your room.

The bin situation varies wildly based on flight. Monday AM or Thursday / Friday afternoon flight between two major centers of business... non-elites are fucked. Weekend flight from from / to podunk vacation spot... easy breezy.

Back