• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

People keep taking about overpacking but the guy going out and back in one day and the guy going on a week-long trip are flying on the same plane.

Look you two, there is no room for reason and logic in this discussion. This is purely emotion-based and whatever works best for the person posting at the time.

People keep taking about overpacking but the guy going out and back in one day and the guy going on a week-long trip are flying on the same plane.

I know it's just a silly "bitch about airlines" thread, but it's actually enlightening to see the lack of empathy here.

I'm going to put my bag wherever I want because I paid my money and I'm going to do what I want. If I disrupt other people, it's their fault, not mine.

I know it's just a silly "bitch about airlines" thread, but it's actually enlightening to see the lack of empathy here.

I'm going to put my bag wherever I want because I paid my money and I'm going to do what I want. If I disrupt other people, it's their fault, not mine.

BS. A full backpack is maybe 30% smaller than a roll-aboard. No reason a passenger should be compelled to put that under his seat and reduce his legroom just because it's his only piece of carry-on luggage. Roll-aboard users in Zone 8 can check their bag before they get on the plane or at the gate. And if he has a backpack and a personal item like a computer bag, the backpack absolutely has to go in the overhead.

Counterpoint: "I'm going to sneak three bags onto the plane and take up lots of overhead space. If I disrupt other people, they should just put their bags under the seat."

BS. A full backpack is maybe 30% smaller than a roll-aboard. No reason a passenger should be compelled to put that under his seat and reduce his legroom just because it's his only piece of carry-on luggage. Roll-aboard users in Zone 8 can check their bag before they get on the plane or at the gate. And if he has a backpack and a personal item like a computer bag, the backpack absolutely has to go in the overhead.

Except for the stated instructions indicating that's where bags of that size actually belong. The poor gate attendants and flight attendants are literally begging you to put your smaller bags under your seat if they fit.

Again, it's just a lack of empathy. Those people should spend their time and money checking a bag because I want my leg room.

Except for the stated instructions indicating that's where bags of that size actually belong. The poor gate attendants and flight attendants are literally begging you to put your smaller bags under your seat if they fit.

Again, it's just a lack of empathy. Those people should spend their time and money checking a bag because I want my leg room.

They say "smaller personal items". Maybe sometimes they add "like backpacks". But a full backpack is sure as hell not comparable to a purse, laptop bag, etc.

I'll do almost anything to make other people's travel experience easier (switching seats, helping with luggage, etc), but if I've packed light and smart, I'm using the overhead and not cramping myself even more than I already am.

Have you considered that perhaps the person who has brought only his backpack on board may have also checked his other luggage ?

H=alf the posts on this thread are from people 6'2" or more complaining that they have no legroom and then people recline into their knees.

These are the carry-on requirements for AA. Nowhere does it say your backpack has to go under the seat.

Carry-on requirements
Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)
Must fit in the sizer at the airport
If your items don’t fit in the overhead bin or under the seat, they may need to be checked. There may be additional carry-on bag restrictions at certain airports or on certain airplanes.

We recommend labeling your carry-on the same way you do checked bags in case this happens.

Soft-sided garment bags up to 51 inches / 130 cm (length + width + height) can also be taken as your carry-on item.

Musical instruments are also considered a carry-on item and must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

Special items and sports equipment

In addition, when traveling with a pet, the kennel or container counts as your carry-on and the carry-on pet fee also applies.

And here's Delta. Same.

AGGAGE DETAILS

ONE BAG. ONE ITEM. NO CHARGE.
We know, you’ve probably heard it before, but just in case you need a reminder: you’re only allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item onboard at no charge. Just make sure they fit into the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Cram sessions are not pretty — and they slow things down.

SO WHAT EXACTLY IS ALLOWED?

Approved Personal Items
1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above
Additional Approved Items
The following items do not count as personal items (they’re freebies):

A jacket and/or umbrella
Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint
Duty-free merchandise
Special itemsopens in a new window like strollers, child restraint seats or assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches

CARRY-ON SIZE RESTRICTIONS

It won’t fit. Three words you don’t want to hear when trying to board. To avoid delays and possible checked bag fees, follow these size requirements:

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels, with the exception of small musical instruments that fit in the overhead compartment space or under-seat space available at the time of boarding
Baggage must meet carry on size limits (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm). Reference size check templates located at ticket counters and gates.

Niether airline even lists a backpack as a personal item. I assume that's because when a backpack is full, it won't fit under a seat anyway.

They say "smaller personal items". Maybe sometimes they add "like backpacks". But a full backpack is sure as hell not comparable to a purse, laptop bag, etc.

I'll do almost anything to make other people's travel experience easier (switching seats, helping with luggage, etc), but if I've packed light and smart, I'm using the overhead and not cramping myself even more than I already am.

Exactly. If you're a frequent traveler who's gone to the trouble to make everything easy for yourself by packing efficently or checking for a long trip, why should you be inconvenienced for three hours by some Zone 8 schmuck and his wife with five bag, a YETI cooler, and a Sbarro pizza between them.

Yes, I have a lack of empathy for some people.

I generally check a bag because it’s free (Delta Amex) and by the time I get to the carousel it’s already there.

do you recline your seat?

I always check the roll aboard because I just don't like to deal with it on the plane or in the airport. I have absolutely no sympathy for people who insist on carrying one and then come to find that there isn't enough room in the front of the plane where they are sitting and then have to put their bag in the way back and then get mad when they have to wait for the entire plane to empty out before they can get to the back to get the bag. Either deal with it or check your bag, but don't bitch at me because I'm trying to get off the plane with the duffel bag that I put under my seat.

I always check the roll aboard because I just don't like to deal with it on the plane or in the airport. I have absolutely no sympathy for people who insist on carrying one and then come to find that there isn't enough room in the front of the plane where they are sitting and then have to put their bag in the way back and then get mad when they have to wait for the entire plane to empty out before they can get to the back to get the bag. Either deal with it or check your bag, but don't bitch at me because I'm trying to get off the plane with the duffel bag that I put under my seat.

WHERE IS YOUR EMPATHY !!??!?!?

On flight to Vegas last week, the plane dropped for what felt like 20 seconds (really was probably 4-5) after we crossed the last mountain ridge before entering the valley. Everyone yelled/screamed (and of course clapped when we landed). Pretty sure it was due to going from ~75 degree mountain air to the 108 degree valley temps. Still pretty freaky. Thank goodness it happened on the flight there instead of the flight back or there would have been much vomit/passing out.

It blows my mind how people are still sitting in the wrong seats on airplanes. How hard is it? And it's embarrassing how someone shows up with ticket in hand, someone's in their seat, the sitting person thinks they're right, doesn't want to move, the flight attendants get involved, and eventually gets up and sits in their actually assigned seat between two fat people. Do you really think in this world of overbooked flights and people getting beat up and bloody and dragged off flights that you're going to get away with sitting in the wrong seat? Come on

I woke my ass up early this morning to check into my Southwest flight at 24 hours on the dot and still ended up at the end of group B. What a waste.

I woke my ass up early this morning to check into my Southwest flight at 24 hours on the dot and still ended up at the end of group B. What a waste.

you pretty much have to have Early Bird or one of the "Business" fares to get an A group now

Back