• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Have we covered whether or not it's socially appropriate to wedge the armrest down over someone's fat that is spilling over into your seat? Because I did that on a recent flight. I had to put a little elbow grease into it, but I got it into the fully deployed position despite his ample side gut.

Be careful with this move. I once went from Austin to Atlanta with the armrest lodged in my ribs due to the expansive fat of the guy in the middle seat.

If I only brought a backpack on board, you better believe it's going in the overhead bin.

Of course you would. What possible argument is there against doing so? That’s the sole reason to pack small enough that it fits in a backpack

Of course you would. What possible argument is there against doing so? That’s the sole reason to pack small enough that it fits in a backpack

So you save overhead space for the people with luggage that will only fit in the overhead bins. Kinda like the flight attendants tell you 100 times as you are boarding the plane.

So you save overhead space for the people with luggage that will only fit in the overhead bins. Kinda like the flight attendants tell you 100 times as you are boarding the plane.

Why’s it my issue that they overpacked, whataboutmount?

That’s not what they say. They say you get to put one item in the overhead and your personal item goes under the seat.

That’s not what they say. They say you get to put one item in the overhead and your personal item goes under the seat.

On smaller planes they definitely always tell you to save the overhead space for roller bags while you are boarding. I think putting a backpack under the seat is just being a considerate person.

Long Beach still loads some flight with stairs in the front and back of planes. Yes, stairs not extendable gates.

But, it is silly to board the front of the plane first. Why would those in and near first class want to spend twenty minutes or so with smelly asses waiting in the aisle next to them?

On smaller planes they definitely always tell you to save the overhead space for roller bags while you are boarding. I think putting a backpack under the seat is just being a considerate person.

I paid for a reasonable amount of space in an overhead bin. Having to reduce either my or the person behind me's leg room because others are using up more overhead space than they should is ridiculous.

If you check your bag and you’re traveling somewhere less than two weeks your doing it wrong

I paid for a reasonable amount of space in an overhead bin. Having to reduce either my or the person behind me's leg room because others are using up more overhead space than they should is ridiculous.

I didn’t know where people assumed you’re supposed to put your backpack. Putting it under the seat in front of you is insanity, you’d be reducing your own leg room

I didn’t know where people assumed you’re supposed to put your backpack. Putting it under the seat in front of you is insanity, you’d be reducing your own leg room

If you read the fine print in the description of "personal item" it includes words about fitting under the seat in front of you. Those words imply that is where it should be placed. So if you consider your backpack to be your personal item...

You should be able to fold a suit and put it in a roll-aboard. To me, it's just not worth the risk to check a bag for a three-day trip and have the airline lose it. I don't wear a suit anymore though.

Long Beach still loads some flight with stairs in the front and back of planes. Yes, stairs not extendable gates.

But, it is silly to board the front of the plane first. Why would those in and near first class want to spend twenty minutes or so with smelly asses waiting in the aisle next to them?

Booze

a) you don't have to stand in the cattle line on the jetway waiting to board; instead, you're already sitting down starting whatever you're doing on the plane
b) preflight drinks in F
c) being the object of sneers and hatred from the people of coach

If airlines really wanted to rustle some jimmies they would put dividers in the overhead bins and have each one labeled to correspond with a seat. This would make it really quick and apparent who's "overpacked" and who is trying to shove their 'should have been checked' bag into the bin, taking everyone else's space.

Back