• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Demand hasn't really dropped off, and most major carriers are profitable right now. Spirit has somehow mismanaged something dramatically.
The profits at American, Delta and United are largely coming from their co-brand credit cards and the banks buying those miles. Spirit really hasn't had an attractive option in that space.

I did 1 trip with Spirit, and it was perfectly fine. I understand that’s the exception though.

I did 1 trip with Spirit, and it was perfectly fine. I understand that’s the exception though.

If you accept it for what it is...a flying city bus...it's totally fine for short flights. My only bad experiences with Spirit/Frontier type airlines is when they sacrifice some poor employee to stand at the gate and make every single passenger fit their carry on in the approved size bin, and has to reject at least a third of them. And you know exactly who catches the wrath of the passengers in that event.

The profits at American, Delta and United are largely coming from their co-brand credit cards and the banks buying those miles. Spirit really hasn't had an attractive option in that space.

I saw a YouTube video that made a compelling case that airlines have become banks.

I've spent the past year really diving into AA status, and basically I put my big non-category spending on the AA credit card, but keep my dining & other bonus categories on the CSR.

The best deal out there is getting the AA credit card with the free admirals passes, and booking hotels through the AA portal on that card. For many 2 night $600 hotel stays, you can get 25,000 AA points and 20,000 loyalty points. Basically works out to 50% off on hotels & fast track to Exec Platinum. I'm booking a few weekend getaway trips in Feb to reach EP, and I've spent very little on actual airfare.
Nice. Which AA Card do you have? Just cycled back to the in-flight deal for the Barclays card with 65K miles after 1 purchase (and no first year fee).
If you have kids/families, the Barclay Aviator mastercards can be really useful because of the companion certificate, which I don't think the Citi card has. My wife has the Aviator Red and I have the Silver. Red comes with 1 $99 companion ticket after you put $20k worth of spend on the card in a year, and the Silver comes with 2 $99 companion passes after $20k in spend.

We're flying to Jackson Hole this summer and the nonstop flight from CLT is crazy expensive, like $1,000/person, but with three little kids in tow, a four hour nonstop flight is much preferred over a connection in Dallas or Chicago and 10-12 total hours of travel time. Having the companion tickets makes it reasonable to take the nonstop, because we were able to buy two tickets at $1,000 and then get the remaining three tickets for $99 (plus like $30 in taxes). So our average ticket price across the five tickets was something like $460/person, way more reasonable than $1,000/person.

Wait that doesn't make sense. If the guy moved from the aisle seat to the middle, one of the spouses would be sitting next him still regardless. Unless they mean across the aisle.

if that is the case then you have to have some real fucking audacity to ask. Only time I would think about it would be for a parent and young child, then im annoyed but would probably do it.

It would be one thing if it was often a mistake by the airlines but 99% of the time it’s not. If you miss a flight or something and go speak with the gate agent they almost always figure out a way to keep people and even more so families together. Instead the main cause is people are cheap and don’t want to pay for the ability to pick their seats. They gamble that someone will be a sucker and they can save 100 dollars.

yeah i'm not saying yes to that either. do the move where you buy window and aisle and hope your middle seat doesn't get taken, or buy first class. GTFO with this shit

it doesn't make me not decent either. middle seats are uncomfortable.

you book early enough with regular economy you can likely just get seats next to one another

you book basic economy, sucks for you. IDK if the system tries to automatically pair you at check-in if on the same reservation since I've never booked BE

you book last minute regular economy and nothing available then sucks for you, shoulda booked earlier. but even then most of the time there are options available at check-in if you check-in as close to 24 hours out as possible

yeah i'm not saying yes to that either. do the move where you buy window and aisle and hope your middle seat doesn't get taken, or buy first class. GTFO with this shit

it doesn't make me not decent either. middle seats are uncomfortable.
I'm sure I've posted on this thread before, too lazy to look, but once had a guy behind me try to get me to switch to his regular middle seat for my exit aisle because he's taller than me. said he always gets exit rows but they weren't available this time. he even asked the flight attendant to get me to switch (was only asking me for some reason and no one else). sucks for you, bro.

Back