• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Or you could read the Police statement and realize that nothing of the sort happened.

Ah I hadn't seen that. Sloppy by the Times Picayune to not update that page. I'll rephrase my hypo: if an black guy sitting in the driver's seat of a car shot an unarmed white guy who was at his passenger window, would he have gone home that night?

Ah I hadn't seen that. Sloppy by the Times Picayune to not update that page. I'll rephrase my hypo: if an black guy sitting in the driver's seat of a car shot an unarmed white guy who was at his passenger window, would he have gone home that night?

Based on the stupid law, yes

Listen you guys, if you really think that pc is the way to go, if you really can't understand how intellectually debilitating pc is, what an own goal ultimately pc is, then be my guest, go ahead, and let pc guide your thinking.

Listen you guys, if you really think that pc is the way to go, if you really can't understand how intellectually debilitating pc is, what an own goal ultimately pc is, then be my guest, go ahead, and let pc guide your thinking.

Serious question: is there a difference between being "PC" and not being offensive to women and minorities? Can you be against people saying racist things without being "PC"?

sailor, what is your definition of PC?

What do you believe you can't say because of PC?

sailor, what is your definition of PC?

What do you believe you can't say because of PC?

I know you asked sailor but I like this definition from the well respected Urban Dictionary. It gets at some of what free thinking people hate about Political Correctness.
Something that started out as a sort of moral common sense - actually not a bad idea, eg. saying 'black person' instead of 'god-damn cotton-pickin' nigger'.
However, the whole thing got utterly out of hand in the early 90s to the point where a lot of people will say 'Afro-Carribean' or 'Afro-American' because they think it's racist to say 'black'! It gets even more ridiculous when you consider that in some parts people think it's offensive to 'blackboard' or 'black coffee'.

What began as a force for good (considering the number of people who really are racist, sexist and homophobic) has since become a laughing stock beacause of the ridiculous extremes to which certain neurotic ultra-liberals took it - cf. a person being 'vertically challenged' rather than short. This has actually undone a lot of progress made in changing bigoted attitudes (as bigot can claim any offence taken at their views is 'political correctness gone mad), whilst making people feel guilty for enjoying anything but the blandest, most anaemic humour for fear of being 'offensive'. I mean, seriously, what's funnier out of 'Friends' and 'South Park'? (Or 'The League of Gentlemen' for the benefit of any Brits out there?)

At the same time as straight white able-bodied men are going out of their way to talk about 'ethnic people' (who ISN'T ethnic!?) and those of 'different sexual orientation', there are blacks calling themselves niggas (which has been going on for years), gays calling themselves (and eachother!) poof, queens and queers, and so on - the real way to neutralize a term used as as an insult is for those to whom it was applied to use it themselves.

AT its worst, political correctness is nothing different form Orwell's Newspeak - an attempt to change the way people think by forcibly changing the way they speak. So let's have a backlash against the nannying, interefering, cotton-wool Stalinism 'ploitical correctness' has become - not to placate bigots, but to speak the truth and enjoy outrageous humour like we're meant to. Remember, the next time someone says they don't like Harry Potter because Hermione is a stereotypically sensitive girl, the relevant word to call them is 'cunt'.

Or this
Organized Orwellian intolerance and stupidity, disguised as compassionate liberalism.
Political correctness is most well known as an institutional excuse for the harassment and exclusion of people with differing political views.

Or this
a group Jedi Mind Trick to get the public to begin adopting Newspeak as their official language.
Doublethink is goodthink. Oldthink is crimethink.

I know you asked sailor but I like this definition from the well respected Urban Dictionary. It gets at some of what free thinking people hate about Political Correctness.

I mean I agree in theory, but the problem is how do you know where to draw the line? Words take on different levels of offensiveness over time. It's not hard to imagine that 70 years ago someone who complained about the use of the n-word would have been labeled PC. Words that used to be considered acceptable become less acceptable as we realize how offensive they can be to people.

Or this

Or this

Have you actually experienced any of this in your life? I haven't. It's not that hard to go through life without offending someone. Sure it takes a degree of empathy and tact that some people don't possess.

Have you actually experienced any of this in your life? I haven't. It's not that hard to go through life without offending someone. Sure it takes a degree of empathy and tact that some people don't possess.

I called Hillary a "bitch" and Barca took issue with it and implied I'm sexist. He also implied I was racist/hate immigrants because of my stance on immigration. I don't. And I fault no one for wanting a better life. Political Correctness is often used to try and shut down discussion and limit what is acceptable to ponder- that might be the most insidious aspect of it.

You posted article after article about immigrants doing bad things without offering comment. It wasn't hard to infer you don't like them because you said nothing.

You posted article after article about immigrants doing bad things without offering comment. It wasn't hard to infer you don't like them because you said nothing.

For you to think I'm racist was pretty hurtful and unfair but I've learned to let such things slide and just move on. I was regularly getting neg repped for my support of Trump and the assumptions people made about me because of that. In a way it's been good- very little people say on here genuinely bothers anymore.

In addition to what BSF said there is the standard Wikipedia article, which is a bit narrow,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

There is nothing wrong with politeness but as BSF has pointed out pc is much more, and a good bit of pc is about stifling debate, which makes pc especially harmful for those who practice it. Mystery men is right that the lines of what is for example racism or sexism are not clear and may often depend on context. As a result, when you bandy these accusations about casually, or even insinuations of racism, xenophobia, bigotry, or sexism and the like, you are indicating that you are not really interested in discussion and fear having your ideas challenged.

The anti-PC movement is also about stifling debate by constantly insinuating that people who are trying to discuss issues are just blindly making accusations of racism.

Back