• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

....and a couple of thoughts from the people

——————
JOHN MYRACLE, Pfafftown

Why

It’s time we ask why.

It’s time to ask why possession of a gun is more important than the lives of our young.

It’s time to ask why students must live in fear of going to school.

It’s time to ask why parents should fear sending their children to school.

It’s time to ask why those with mental illness can’t get the help they need.

It’s time to ask why our representatives neglect the opinions of the represented.

It’s time to ask why our representatives ignore overwhelming opposition to assault weapons.

It’s time to ask why NRA money is more valuable to politicians than the lives of citizens.

It’s time to ask why politicians are so willing to sell their soul.

It’s time to elect new people; those who will represent the people.

MARY BILLINGSLEY, Winston-Salem

More ideas

The writer of the Feb. 20 letter “Common-sense measures” listed excellent common-sense measures for gun control. I would simply add a couple more to her list:

1. Ban all assault rifles.

2. Prohibit the NRA from contributing to political campaigns.

I have heard in several reports that many, if not most, NRA members are not opposed to common-sense measures for gun control, such as banning assault rifles. I would like to suggest that those members withhold their memberships (and let the NRA know why they are doing so) until the leadership takes a more reasonable approach to gun control.
—————-

From the same issue...emphasis mine

——————
DAVID BOTCHIN, Winston-Salem

Proper recusal

There should be no question about all members of Congress recusing themselves from any debate or vote on gun control if they have received direct or indirect financial support from the NRA. (Of course, this could also impact the issue of recusal on any other issue stemming from direct or indirect financial support from another group’s agenda.)

In the case of state Rep. Ted Budd, the argument is even more compelling. Budd makes his living from selling firearms. He owns a gun shop that promotes and profits from the sale of firearms. Budd has a moral and ethical obligation (possibly a legal obligation) to recuse himself — to refrain from any discussion, debate and more specifically voting on any legislation related to gun control. It is a clear conflict of interest.

CAROL THORNTON, Winston-Salem

It’s guns

I have some serious questions. We do not allow people to purchase tobacco or alcohol before they are 21 years old. How can we possibly justify selling them guns, particularly assault firearms and unlimited ammunition?

How can we justify selling assault firearms to any private citizen? Why don’t we insist on background checks for all firearm buyers?

Why do we elect legislators who accept millions from the NRA? They appear to care so little for the safety of our children that they will not enact sensible gun control.

One of the Florida shooting victims looked so much like my high school-age granddaughter I cried. The victims of these horrific shootings could be our loved ones.

To quote Eugene Robinson’s Feb. 17 column: “The issue is not mental health — it’s guns.”

If we do not improve gun control, we are the people with mental-health issues. Stop the insanity now!
—————

28276752_10101249148538116_9121603096450214340_n.jpg

it's not

gun ownership is not a rating factor for personal liability insurance in the US, at least not for companies domiciled in the US

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/american-gun-culture/554870/

The second thing I noticed about post-9/11 America, and something I also noticed in the aftermath of the Parkland killings, was the degree to which the accumulation of firearms had become a tribal issue. ...If your identity as a participant in political discourse in America is this directly tied to your personal gun ownership, a break from either politics, or firearms, or possibly both, might be in order. ... now is the time for tension. Gun owners should feel uncomfortable by the atrocities taking place in American schools. American politics should not be dominated by those Americans who play soldier by owning assault rifles or other tactical weapons, and whose insecurity about their own identity is so pronounced that they need to buy more and more small arms to compensate for that insecurity.

[h=1]Accused S.C. teen wanted to outdo other school shootings. The problem, he explained, was the weapon.[/h]
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-south-carolina-school-shooter-20180303-story.html

Six days before he allegedly opened fire on an elementary school playground, the eighth-grader returned to his Instagram group chat to fixate, yet again, on his most intense interests: guns and bombs and the mass murder of children.

"My plan," wrote Jesse Osborne, who had turned 14 three weeks earlier, "is shooting my dad getting his keys getting in his truck, driving to the elementary school 4 mins away, once there gear up, shoot out the bottom school class room windows, enter the building, shoot the first class which will be the 2d grade, grab teachers keys so I don't have to hasle to get through any doors."

He had been researching other school shooters for months and, determined to outdo them, learned exactly how many people they'd murdered: 13 at Columbine High; 26 at Sandy Hook Elementary; 32 at Virginia Tech.

"I think ill probably most likely kill around 50 or 60," Jesse declared. "If I get lucky maybe 150."

Seven hours after he was pinned to the ground outside Townville Elementary by a volunteer firefighter, Jesse acknowledged in an interview with investigators that he'd shot far fewer kids than he'd intended. The problem, he explained, was the weapon. He'd only had access to the .40 caliber pistol his father kept in a dresser drawer. It had jammed on the playground, just 12 seconds after he first pulled the trigger.

The weapon Jesse really wanted, the one he'd tried desperately to get, was, the teenager believed, locked in his father's gun safe: the Ruger Mini-14, a semiautomatic rifle much like the gun that, 17 months later, was fired again and again at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, during one of the deadliest school shootings in American history.

that is some chilling shit. And check this out:
Soon after the shooting, investigators searched the teen's home for evidence. In his parents' bedroom, they looked in the closet, and there, outside the safe and just feet from his father's dresser, was the weapon Jesse coveted.

first rule of FPS games: search every container b/c you know the devs put what you're looking for in a dumb spot

2 students shot in apparent gun accident at Alabama high school

Two students were shot in what is believed to be an accidental shooting at an Alabama high school Wednesday afternoon, reports CBS affiliate WIAT-TV. One of the students died on the way to the hospital, WIAT-TV reports, citing multiple sources.

The other was reportedly critically injured, but is in stable condition, reports Al.com.

Police responded to Huffman High School in Birmingham on the report of shots fired. Birmingham Police Sgt. Bryan Shelton told WIAT investigators believe the incident was accidental.

Yeah so I’m no expert but I’m guessing those violent video games get a lot of support from the military and gun owners.

Is the Trump administration going to ban Call of Duty?

Back