• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Right. So the cops will come to take their guns and if they resist (or move in any way), the cops will shoot them.

That’s how it goes, right?

OK, so here we go. I think there should be legal recourse to seize Johnathan Martin's guns because he directly threatened a school, a business, and two individuals directly as well as threatening to commit suicide. He's clearly a threat to others and himself.

Can I get some agreement on this?

No!!! You take Martin's guns and the next logical step is the complete abolishment of the 2nd Amendment. The only thing that should be done here is to make sure that every person that Martin has ever come into contact with has at least 2 guns. Oh yeah - and all of the teachers and students at his former schools.

Last edited:
Richie Incognito better get a plasma gun.

GOP lawmaker calls for assault rifle ban

"The Second Amendment is unimpeachable," Mast wrote in The New York Times. "It guarantees the right of citizens to defend themselves. I accept, however, that it does not guarantee that every civilian can bear any and all arms."

Mast, a retired staff sergeant in the Army, recalled his deployment in Afghanistan and the weapon he carried during that time, an M4 Carbine.

"My rifle was very similar to the AR-15-style semiautomatic weapon used to kill students, teachers and a coach I knew at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where I once lived," wrote Mast, who holds a seat that is "leaning Republican" according to the nonpartisan Cook Political Report.

"I cannot support the primary weapon I used to defend our people being used to kill children I swore to defend," he added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...ot-guarantee-that-every-civilian-can-bear-any

GOP reps calls on Ryan to bring background check bill up for vote

A group of House Republicans is calling on House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to bring to a vote a measure aimed at bolstering the accuracy of the nation's background check system for gun buyers.

In a letter led by Rep. Leonard Lance (N.J.), the GOP lawmakers called on Ryan to allow "immediate consideration" of the Fix NICS Act, which would push federal and state agencies to comply with existing laws and more accurately report criminal records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...an-to-bring-background-check-bill-up-for-vote

NRA strikes back at Florida sheriff: 'Your office failed this community'

The National Rifle Association (NRA) on Friday slammed a local sheriff in Florida, saying his office failed to protect students in last week's high school shooting.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel had knocked the gun lobby during a televised town hall on Wednesday night, accusing the group of "not standing up for these students."

“I understand you’re standing up for the NRA and I understand that’s what you’re supposed to do,” Israel told NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch at the CNN town hall.

ADVERTISEMENT

“But you just told this group of people that you are standing up for them. You are not standing up for them until you say, ‘I want less weapons,’” Israel said, prompting a standing ovation.

"No Sheriff Israel you were the one that didn’t PROTECT these children and that is your job. You run the largest fully accredited sheriff's office in the United States, yet your office failed this community," the NRA responded in a tweet Friday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/37...ida-sheriff-your-office-failed-this-community

Surprising shift of blame by the NRA...

It’s almost as if the proliferation of guns in our communities is at odds with the mission of our police to serve and protect.

GOP lawmaker calls for assault rifle ban

"The Second Amendment is unimpeachable," Mast wrote in The New York Times. "It guarantees the right of citizens to defend themselves. I accept, however, that it does not guarantee that every civilian can bear any and all arms."

Mast, a retired staff sergeant in the Army, recalled his deployment in Afghanistan and the weapon he carried during that time, an M4 Carbine.

"My rifle was very similar to the AR-15-style semiautomatic weapon used to kill students, teachers and a coach I knew at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where I once lived," wrote Mast, who holds a seat that is "leaning Republican" according to the nonpartisan Cook Political Report.

"I cannot support the primary weapon I used to defend our people being used to kill children I swore to defend," he added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...ot-guarantee-that-every-civilian-can-bear-any

GOP reps calls on Ryan to bring background check bill up for vote

A group of House Republicans is calling on House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to bring to a vote a measure aimed at bolstering the accuracy of the nation's background check system for gun buyers.

In a letter led by Rep. Leonard Lance (N.J.), the GOP lawmakers called on Ryan to allow "immediate consideration" of the Fix NICS Act, which would push federal and state agencies to comply with existing laws and more accurately report criminal records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...an-to-bring-background-check-bill-up-for-vote

The kids in Florida are having an impact, Republicans in swingy districts are starting to think the negatives for not vocally supporting some (small) measure of gun control are greater than the negatives for supporting gun control.

So you’re saying these people make decisions based on what they think is least negative rather than what is right?

This is a pretty big deal.

NRA strikes back at Florida sheriff: 'Your office failed this community'

The National Rifle Association (NRA) on Friday slammed a local sheriff in Florida, saying his office failed to protect students in last week's high school shooting.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel had knocked the gun lobby during a televised town hall on Wednesday night, accusing the group of "not standing up for these students."

“I understand you’re standing up for the NRA and I understand that’s what you’re supposed to do,” Israel told NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch at the CNN town hall.

ADVERTISEMENT

“But you just told this group of people that you are standing up for them. You are not standing up for them until you say, ‘I want less weapons,’” Israel said, prompting a standing ovation.

"No Sheriff Israel you were the one that didn’t PROTECT these children and that is your job. You run the largest fully accredited sheriff's office in the United States, yet your office failed this community," the NRA responded in a tweet Friday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/37...ida-sheriff-your-office-failed-this-community

If more sheriffs and law enforcement officials start advocating for some gun control restrictions, I wonder how long it will take the GOP base - which right now worships law enforcement (along with the military) - to turn on cops? If they criticize Trump directly, I would imagine that many Trumpites will turn on the police rather quickly. Trump loyalty comes first, and everything (and everybody) else second.

If more sheriffs and law enforcement officials start advocating for some gun control restrictions, I wonder how long it will take the GOP base - which right now worships law enforcement (along with the military) - to turn on cops? If they criticize Trump directly, I would imagine that many Trumpites will turn on the police rather quickly. Trump loyalty comes first, and everything (and everybody) else second.

Guns come before trump. He knows that much at least, so he won’t risk the adoration of the rubes with real action.

Guns > Trump > police

We’ve seen them turn hard on law enforcement for going after Trump and guns.

Back