• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

It's just unsettling. I remember seeing several people in Lowe's earlier this year carrying pistols. Not for a second do I trust they'll do anything useful if shit went down. I'll never forget hiking Crowder's mountain years ago, and another hiker totally out of context just had to make mention he was carrying a gun. It's nothing more than an ego trip for probably 99% of them

I think it's more likely that more innocent people will be shot by yahoos shooting than killers stopped.

What the hell is a clip? How can she have an opinion on firearms if she can’t use the correct terminology?

It's just unsettling. I remember seeing several people in Lowe's earlier this year carrying pistols. Not for a second do I trust they'll do anything useful if shit went down. I'll never forget hiking Crowder's mountain years ago, and another hiker totally out of context just had to make mention he was carrying a gun. It's nothing more than an ego trip for probably 99% of them

Agreed, and I agree that most of these gun carriers (not all, but most) would be useless in an actual shooter situation. They'd either crap their pants and run like everyone else, or draw whatever they were packing and randomly start shooting. A diehard Trumpite I know was all over fb after the shootings defending Trump and gun owners and daring anyone to take his guns. He proudly posted a picture of himself - large pot belly and definitely out of shape - shooting an automatic he owned, and bragging about how he could "take out" anyone that threatened his family. Honestly, he looked like an idiot, but I'm sure that he thought he looked cool and tough. Having worked with him many years ago, I have little doubt that he would piss his pants and lose it in an actual mass shooter/home intruder situation. He's a real-life Dale Gribble with a Bill Dauterive body, which I suspect is the case with many of these gun nuts.

It’s not just that. The AR-15s and such are designed to make conceal and open carry guns ineffective. And then once people start bringing their own AR-15a to fight mass shooters, the body counts will just go up because AR-15s aren’t made to shoot one guy in a crowd in a chaotic situation.

Winter Park man arrested for mass shooting threat on social media, FDLE says

Richard D. Clayton, 26, was under a joint investigation by the FDLE, the Winter Park police department and the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force that began on Aug. 6 after a Facebook post by Clayton said that he had "3 more days of probation left then I get my AR-15 back. Don’t go to Walmart next week.” The Walmart location was a possible reference to last week’s mass shooting that took place inside a Walmart in El Paso, TX.

According to investigators, Clayton had a history of posting violent threats on Facebook under fictitious accounts and believed in white supremacist ideology.

FBI arrests Las Vegas man who allegedly wanted to shoot Jews, LGBTQ bar patrons

After Climo's arrest, FBI agents said he told them he had acquired electronic components to build a bomb and that he wanted to mobilize an eight-man sniper platoon to shoot Jewish people either at a Las Vegas synagogue or some other location.

According to charging documents, an FBI bomb technician found bomb-making components and chemical compounds in Climo's bedroom. Federal agents said they also seized an AR-15 style rifle and a bolt-action rifle from the room.

Climo tried to recruit a homeless person to engage in "pre-attack surveillance" on a house of worship and wanted to target patrons of an LGBTQ bar on Fremont Street in downtown Las Vegas, federal prosecutors said in a statement.

If China can censor whatever the fuck it wants isn’t it about time we just shut down all these white supremacy message boards?

The internet turning these people’s minds into mush is the match that lights the crazy.

If China can censor whatever the fuck it wants isn’t it about time we just shut down all these white supremacy message boards?

The internet turning these people’s minds into mush is the match that lights the crazy.

There is NO Freedom of Speech issue on a private company's site. They can do whatever the fuck they want. They could end all of it tomorrow and not get in any legal trouble.

They won't. They are getting millions of clicks and countless millions in free publicity.

I don't know about shutting down message boards. I don't think that will matter. Does seem like it would be easy enough to do 8Chan and wherever and find the people who are actively plotting or aiding plots and arrest them. Where did a kid from Plano learn that there is a "Mexican Walmart" in El Paso and that specific day was popular for people from Juarez to come up for Back to School shopping? These aren't lone wolves. They're going on the internet and getting help. The FBI needs to devote resources to going on these sites and finding these people.

I don't know about shutting down message boards. I don't think that will matter. Does seem like it would be easy enough to do 8Chan and wherever and find the people who are actively plotting or aiding plots and arrest them. Where did a kid from Plano learn that there is a "Mexican Walmart" in El Paso and that specific day was popular for people from Juarez to come up for Back to School shopping? These aren't lone wolves. They're going on the internet and getting help. The FBI needs to devote resources to going on these sites and finding these people.
I agree with you, but every Walmart in El Paso is a “Mexican Walmart”, El Paso is something like 80% Latino.

It’s not just that. The AR-15s and such are designed to make conceal and open carry guns ineffective. And then once people start bringing their own AR-15a to fight mass shooters, the body counts will just go up because AR-15s aren’t made to shoot one guy in a crowd in a chaotic situation.

I’m ok with with banning assault weapons, but shooting a person in chaotic situations is exactly what they are designed for.

I’m ok with with banning assault weapons, but shooting a person in chaotic situations is exactly what they are designed for.

They are designed for military use not civilians.

Do you wake up in the morning and say, "I'm going to be in a chaotic situation at the grocery store today. I'd better have an assault rifle."

Well that’s simply not true. Reread ph’s post, they’re not to get one guy during chaos they’re to take down multiple folks

I agree with you, but every Walmart in El Paso is a “Mexican Walmart”, El Paso is something like 80% Latino.

He certainly could have just chosen a random Walmart in a city with a high Latino population on some random weekend. That’s possible. But he choose the Walmart the locals call the “Mexican Walmart” during back to school shopping

One specific person while trying avoid everybody else?

I don't know, I think shutting down all those websites would matter more than any other action we can take. The random asshat isn't going to find people in his high school that encourage agree with him it's cool to shoot up a walmart. These weapons existed in the 70's and 80's and this never happened. It's happening because of the internet. I don't have one problem with white supremacists having their freedom of speech infringed upon. I mean you read these stories of these guys getting caught or walking around a wal mart with an AR-15, and they're all going to get just a couple of years and come right back out. So it's either go full minority report and put them in for life, or stopping their ideology from festering in the first place.

Oh, and yeah, getting rid of the guns.

Last edited:
Yeah but that’s just a game of internet whack a mole with no teeth. Start apprehending these guys.

Yeah but that’s just a game of internet whack a mole with no teeth. Start apprehending these guys.

One argument I could see against shutting down the sites is that they are a potentially extremely useful surveillance tool.

Another is you can’t do it under the First Amendment.

Personally I am pretty much done with some aspects of the constitution. The UK doesn’t have a bill of rights and they’ve done ok as a society. Let’s get rid of the guns and let’s limit violently-racist speech.

Back