• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

This.

When nothing changed after Sandy Hook I lost all faith that anything will ever happen to address gun violence. Literally nothing has (if anything it's gotten worse since then). Thanks to senate rules you can't get anything passed in the senate without 60 votes. It's impossible to get that many votes to address gun violence.

Plenty changed after Sandy Hook. Kids started doing active shooter drills at school. MY kids were taught to get in a bathroom stall and stand on the toilet seat so that a shooter can't see their feet, and they were taught to throw books at at an intruder then hide under their desks. They changed out the doors in my kids' elementary school classrooms so there were no windows and they were auto locking. In third grade all 22 kids practiced cramming into the single use classroom bathroom with a locking door and being silent. My kid was upset because one boy kept coughing. They also set up a security at the school so every parent needed an appointment before arrive and needed to sign in before entering the school and the exterior doors had a buzz in system. So you see, lots changed.

Last edited:
Plenty changed after Sandy Hook. Kids started doing active shooter drills at school. MY kids were taught to get in a bathroom stall and stand on the toilet seat so that a shooter can't see their feet, and they were taught to throw books at at an intruder then hide under their desks. They changed out the doors in my kids' elementary school classrooms so there were no windows and they were auto locking. They also set up a security at the school so every parent needed an appointment before arrive and needed to sign in before entering the school and the exterior doors had a buzz in system. So you see, lots changed.

but remember, making them wear masks is endangering their health and safety. it's worth assaulting school board members to reiterate this.

The fact that this sentence is indisputably true says so very much about the state of this country and the state of our politics.

It won't be true once the Republicans get to a slight majority in the Senate. They will get rid of the filibuster if "needed". FWIW, I think the filibuster is a good thing. The threshold should probably be cut down to 55 simply because of the polarization of the country. But that doesn't really matter. The GOP has shown an extreme willingness to bend (and arguably break) any and every rule possible to get their agenda through (most notably with the SC), and there is no reason to believe that they won't get rid of the filibuster as well. Just an impossible group of people (and I am pretty conservative in general).

The primary problem here is of course the number and types of guns available. The next biggest problem is the Internet. There are a variety of other major contributing factors, but no question that the big two are the big two.

It won't be true once the Republicans get to a slight majority in the Senate. They will get rid of the filibuster if "needed". FWIW, I think the filibuster is a good thing. The threshold should probably be cut down to 55 simply because of the polarization of the country. But that doesn't really matter. The GOP has shown an extreme willingness to bend (and arguably break) any and every rule possible to get their agenda through (most notably with the SC), and there is no reason to believe that they won't get rid of the filibuster as well. Just an impossible group of people (and I am pretty conservative in general).

The primary problem here is of course the number and types of guns available. The next biggest problem is the Internet. There are a variety of other major contributing factors, but no question that the big two are the big two.

How about it's just senators that represent 60% of the country. Dems could reach that threshold with just 45 senators probably.

It hits a little harder to see names and faces and not just "19 dead" (thread).

If multiple law enforcement officers can't neutralize an 18 year old kid before he makes it inside the school, then let's stop with the nonsense idea that more armed guards will help this problem.

Yeah, that was my first thought after hearing this. The GOP loves saying after these mass-shooting events that if only people in the school or store or wherever it happened had guns this stuff could be prevented. Well, here you had multiple law-enforcement officers on the scene and they couldn't stop the guy from getting into the school and killing 21 people. So much for that delusion.

ETA: This is one issue on which I have also just given up hope of there being any effective changes. If Sandy Hook didn't change enough people's minds, then this won't either, nor will the supermarket shooting in Buffalo or anything else. There are just too many people (white men mostly) in this country whose identity and self-worth is totally tied to owning as many guns as possible, and politicians (mostly but not entirely Republicans) who are unwilling to consider even slight changes to gun control laws for fear of pissing these people off and because they're on the take from the gun lobby. And so these people just shrug at these shootings and issue their standard "thoughts and prayers" cliches.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was my first thought after hearing this. The GOP loves saying after these mass-shooting events that if only people in the school or store or wherever it happened had guns this stuff could be prevented. Well, here you had multiple law-enforcement officers on the scene and they couldn't stop the guy from getting into the school and killing 21 people. So much for that delusion.

This has to end the stupid fucking tag line "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

If multiple law enforcement officers can't neutralize an 18 year old kid before he makes it inside the school, then let's stop with the nonsense idea that more armed guards will help this problem.

well, the teacher didn't have a gun

Which is why the next step will be to arm teachers.

Oh, 100%. Good guy with a gun can't stop a bad guy with a gun before he can slaughter people.

Shut the fuck up. Democrats are not the problem regarding gun regulation. Republicans are. Despite your stupid fucking attempt to bos side this. Shut the fuck up.

Ha. Keep voting for the same party who promises change and never, ever delivers. Two of the last 3 Presidents, majority of Congress, plenty of Governors, the mayor and majority city council of almost every major city. Yet nothing changes. Ever. Anywhere. Not local, state, or national. You are dumber than the right wing gun nuts, at least they know what they are voting for and aren't conned the same damn way every single election cycle. The blood of those kids is as much on your hands as it is theirs. You are just too stupid to realize it and will fall for it again next election day, you fucking dumbass.

As Brasky said, Biden and the Democrats should be formally proposing strict gun control laws, today. Right now. Make the Republicans try to vote it down. But where are they? Just passing blame without actually trying to do anything even though they have the power. Impotent as always. And you'll fall for it and continue to support them despite their impotence, like you always have and will continue to do. Continue the insane cycle of support while they get paid.

Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer said on the Senate floor moments ago that he will not be bringing any gun legislation to a vote in the immediate future, saying he knows that the bills will not pass due to Republican opposition.

“I believe that accountability votes are important, but sadly this isn’t a case of the American people not knowing where their senators stand,” he said. “Americans can cast their vote in November.”

Absolutely useless leadership. Rather than getting Republicans on record and potentially passing bills which might save lives, Schumer wants to use this for fundraising and thinks Democrats sitting on their thumbs will prove a winning formula come November. He's doing the same thing for legalizing marijuana. The same thing for abortion rights. Pass the stuff 60%+ of the population are in favor of and if they don't pass hold those Republicans accountable. But this "hey what can we do?" excuse looks and feels like inaction for political purposes while people die.

Absolutely useless leadership. Rather than getting Republicans on record and potentially passing bills which might save lives, Schumer wants to use this for fundraising and thinks Democrats sitting on their thumbs will prove a winning formula come November. He's doing the same thing for legalizing marijuana. The same thing for abortion rights. Pass the stuff 60%+ of the population are in favor of and if they don't pass hold those Republicans accountable. But this "hey what can we do?" excuse looks and feels like inaction for political purposes while people die.

Because everyone knows if Democrats actually wanted to do it, they could end the filibuster to do it.

Ha. Keep voting for the same party who promises change and never, ever delivers. Two of the last 3 Presidents, majority of Congress, plenty of Governors, the mayor and majority city council of almost every major city. Yet nothing changes. Ever. Anywhere. Not local, state, or national. You are dumber than the right wing gun nuts, at least they know what they are voting for and aren't conned the same damn way every single election cycle. The blood of those kids is as much on your hands as it is theirs. You are just too stupid to realize it and will fall for it again next election day, you fucking dumbass.

As Brasky said, Biden and the Democrats should be formally proposing strict gun control laws, today. Right now. Make the Republicans try to vote it down. But where are they? Just passing blame without actually trying to do anything even though they have the power. Impotent as always. And you'll fall for it and continue to support them despite their impotence, like you always have and will continue to do. Continue the insane cycle of support while they get paid.

Someone convince me that’s he’s wrong, because it scares me when I agree with him.

i mean, your party has delivered restrictions of rights and death. congrats

Because everyone knows if Democrats actually wanted to do it, they could end the filibuster to do it.

If Manchin doesn't want to, then accept that and continue to do your job. Bring up simple votes rather than complex packages so the entire country can hear Mitt Romney say he's in favor of 18 year olds having access to military style weapons that hold 20 rounds. Or that Susan Collins thinks the victims of rape or those in grave physical danger should have no choice in ending a pregnancy. Get some easy wins or bury those politicians with votes they can't explain away.

Someone convince me that’s he’s wrong, because it scares me when I agree with him.

He’s right in the way that you blame your team for not playing good defense. But then you realize Democrats and Republicans are both on the US team so Republicans are horrible teammates.

Is this sarcastic? I know Brasky would gladly straight up hold Manchin and Sinema hostage and force their vote at gunpoint, and that's what it would likely take at this point. It's not "the Democrats". I wish they were in lockstep with each other as much as Republicans are (united in being completely fucking evil), but they are not. I would love it if the two of them were gone and democrats had a real majority in the Senate right now, but unfortunately that's not reality -- we have to deal with, you know, actual reality.

Back