• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

You really wanted to risk giving Trump another 4 years so we could run a more liberal candidate with a greater chancing of losing?

How many more years can you repeat this scare tactic until you realize that nothing changes as long as we elect centrist Dems?

Are you just that naive or do you care more about your portfolio than schoolchildren getting their faces blown off?

And Trump was able to give the Supreme Court a supermajority that will destroy our country for decades. You can live in the real word, with all the BS that comes with it, or you can live in some fantasy Brasky world where he wants fascism to take a complete hold over our country so he can fulfill his Che Guevara fantasies here in the US over the next half a century.

I understand being frustrated -- I'm frustrated as hell. 2 out of my 3 kids are in the same grades as the kids at Uvalde, and there were cops everywhere when I dropped them off this morning, and that should not need to be the case. And they're scared, and we have to have hard, scary conversations with them, and more kids at schools have been shot and killed in mass shootings this year than cops have been killed so far this year -- and that's completely fucking nuts. Channel the frustration at the the truly evil people who are the cause of this rather than voting (or not voting) to give them complete, unchecked control of our democracy.

Translation: Look over there, not our fault kids. Your daddy votes for politicians who do nothing and will never care about your life, but we have a nice house so it’s the deal we made with the devil.

Last edited:
How many more years can you repeat this scare tactic until you realize that nothing changes as long as we elect centrist Dems?

Are you just that naive or do you care more about your portfolio than schoolchildren getting their faces blown off?

You can argue “nothing changes as long as we elect centrist Dems” but things get demonstratively worse when we elect Republicans. Electing centrist Dems (in general elections) is part of the defense against fascism.

You can argue “nothing changes as long as we elect centrist Dems” but things get demonstratively worse when we elect Republicans. Electing centrist Dems (in general elections) is part of the defense against fascism.

Things seem to be get demonstratively worse when either group is in power. Maybe we should go for a third option.

You know how gun control laws get passed? A national strike? We all refuse to go to work for a week. But guess what, 75% of this nation would never do that, because they don’t actually care.

Anyways I’m done ranting, I’ll get back to work and try to forget how fucked this nation is.

Feel free to let me know when you do care. Sadly for most of us, it probably won’t be until our own kid gets his or her head blown off.

No, nothing changes without 60 votes in the senate.

Translation: Look other there, not our fault kids. Your daddy votes for politicians who do nothing and will never care about your life, but we have a nice house so it’s the deal we made with the devil.

Didn't you just jump from a teaching gig to a corporate job? I know that because you never stop talking about it -- way to tough it out.

Here's how I have to explain Trump to my kids -- Hillary won the popular vote easily, but we have a terrible electoral college system that says people in Montana's votes count 4 times as much as our votes. Regardless, Hillary almost won and would have had some people who claim to care about progressive policies voted for her. There's no viable third party to vote for and there's not going to be. Voting for a third party is a waste of a vote and puts people like Trump in office. Trump makes the world a worse place. People who vote for a third party or don't vote at all help them make the world a worse place.

Leftists have already turned on the Squad, and the Squad hasn't accomplished anything, unfortunately -- I wish they did. Nothing you're doing is working, and that's why you want to blow it all up. Do you have kids? If not, maybe that would change things for you. But, to be clear, I blame people like you for Trump and for making the world shittier place for my kids. And it appears you plan to continue to do that.

So even if Manchin and Sinema did the right thing and voted down the filibuster, any legislation they passed would either get ignored by "sanctuary" states or shut down by a 6-3 USSC right?

I know this sounds defeatist, but at this point it all just feels like performance art. What can actually be done when the Supreme Court will just invalidate any reasonable gun control measures.

Remind where that is in the Constitution

Or is that just another excuse we tell ourselves so we don’t actually have to look in the mirror

Clever, but that is the reality of the current situation. Alternatively you'd need 53 votes (counting Seimina and Manchin) to pass anything in the Senate.

Democratic Party Senate candidates seem to be running on ending the filibuster, so that's promising. What used to be unthinkable is now becoming common sense.

Didn't you just jump from a teaching gig to a corporate job? I know that because you never stop talking about it -- way to tough it out.

Here's how I have to explain Trump to my kids -- Hillary won the popular vote easily, but we have a terrible electoral college system that says people in Montana's votes count 4 times as much as our votes. Regardless, Hillary almost won and would have had some people who claim to care about progressive policies voted for her. There's no viable third party to vote for and there's not going to be. Voting for a third party is a waste of a vote and puts people like Trump in office. Trump makes the world a worse place. People who vote for a third party or don't vote at all help them make the world a worse place.

Leftists have already turned on the Squad, and the Squad hasn't accomplished anything, unfortunately -- I wish they did. Nothing you're doing is working, and that's why you want to blow it all up. Do you have kids? If not, maybe that would change things for you. But, to be clear, I blame people like you for Trump and for making the world shittier place for my kids. And it appears you plan to continue to do that.

Sorry I didn’t want to be a martyr for this nihilistic bloodthirsty society that you so adore.

Dude sells out, moves the burbs and expects everyone else worse off than him to just deal with it because what can you do. He votes Blue for his conscious and so he can act cool at dinner parties, but he’s a fucking Conservative now at heart. A hypocrite and a coward.

A tale as old as time.

Dude brags about leaving teaching for a corporate gig and tells other dudes they sold out for not talking tough on the internet.

Dude brags about leaving teaching for a corporate gig and tells other dudes they sold out for not talking tough on the internet.

Oh yeah I definitely sold out, when most of our society doesn’t care about anything besides themselves and their wealth, why should I be any different?

At least I own it, you fucking hacks. The blood of these children is on all of us. I’m sorry if that makes you uncomfortable but that’s the point, I don’t want you to sleep for the next week.

Sorry I didn’t want to be a martyr for this nihilistic bloodthirsty society that you so adore.

Dude sells out, moves the burbs and expects everyone else worse off than him to just deal with it because what can you do. He votes Blue for his conscious and so he can act cool at dinner parties, but he’s a fucking Conservative now at heart. A hypocrite and a coward.

A tale as old as time.

Keeping telling yourself whatever you need to to make it through, man. I hope you can find some peace and direction in your life.

Just stop it brasky.

Everyone feels powerless right now and wanting to lash out at something.

Keeping telling yourself whatever you need to to make it through, man. I hope you can find some peace and direction in your life.

I wish you nothing but the absolute worst. You and your ilk are hypocrites of the highest order, and your presence in our society is a massive net negative.

It’s the selfishness, impotence and inaction of Liberals that ruins societies.

Ha. Keep voting for the same party who promises change and never, ever delivers. Two of the last 3 Presidents, majority of Congress, plenty of Governors, the mayor and majority city council of almost every major city. Yet nothing changes. Ever. Anywhere. Not local, state, or national. You are dumber than the right wing gun nuts, at least they know what they are voting for and aren't conned the same damn way every single election cycle. The blood of those kids is as much on your hands as it is theirs. You are just too stupid to realize it and will fall for it again next election day, you fucking dumbass.

As Brasky said, Biden and the Democrats should be formally proposing strict gun control laws, today. Right now. Make the Republicans try to vote it down. But where are they? Just passing blame without actually trying to do anything even though they have the power. Impotent as always. And you'll fall for it and continue to support them despite their impotence, like you always have and will continue to do. Continue the insane cycle of support while they get paid.

The Republicans wouldn't be on the record voting against it, they would be on the record filibustering the vote of the bill. Saying we want common-sense gun control and now is not the time to politicize the death of children. Abbott and Cruz will probably say this exact thing on Friday at the NRA annual meeting, 90 minutes away from Uvalde.

*They will also say its a mental health issue not a gun issue, but wont do anything to make mental health resources more accessible in this country.

You say Dems have done nothing, but Clinton passed the Assault Weapons ban in 1994 which lasted for 10 years, and was never heard from again. The bill originally got passed because 3 former presidents were on record supporting it. Obama tried to do a new assault weapons ban in 2013, but this was voted down by the Senate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_Weapons_Ban_of_2013. Biden already proposed a new one in March of this year. McConnell is on record for not allowing votes on even incremental gun reform https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mcconnell-has-long-history-opposing-gun-legislation-wake-tragedies-n1039806. Nothing will happen until you have 60 Dems in the Senate, not including Manchin and a Dem president.

Last edited:
Just stop it brasky.

Everyone feels powerless right now and wanting to lash out at something.

Nope, I will not. I get that you want to forget about this and move on with your life, but that is the problem.

I do have a young child and it’s worth it to me even if I have to shame you all into looking into the mirror.

Back