• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Reading that both law enforcement guys that engaged with the shooter before he went in got shot

Not gonna lie, she had me in the first half...

Republicans and Tulsi-types are suggesting the same things that schools have been doing since Sandy Hook.

Reading that both law enforcement guys that engaged with the shooter before he went in got shot

Gun nuts who have guns to protect themselves from people with guns seem not to understand that mass shooters can just shoot "good guys with guns."

Republicans and Tulsi-types are suggesting the same things that schools have been doing since Sandy Hook.

It’s also interesting to me that the patriotic party is so quick to agree that Americans are just generally worse people than the rest of the world rather than admit there’s a gun problem.

The sad reality is that everyone really admits there’s a massive gun problem. Even the gun nuts. They are just afraid to be without their guns when there are so many guns out there.

Gun nuts who have guns to protect themselves from people with guns seem not to understand that mass shooters can just shoot "good guys with guns."

and anyone with a gun is a good guy with a gun until they're not

It’s also interesting to me that the patriotic party is so quick to agree that Americans are just generally worse people than the rest of the world rather than admit there’s a gun problem.

The sad reality is that everyone really admits there’s a massive gun problem. Even the gun nuts. They are just afraid to be without their guns when there are so many guns out there.

It fits a fundamentalist Christian narrative that the world is full of sinners and needs to be cleansed. Obviously there is a huge mission field if the prisons are full and we need to build more and everyone needs a gun to protect themselves from people with guns. And they blame secularism for things getting worse. They used to leave their doors unlocked at night but now they’re scared because the libs changed society.

I for one am sick and tired of "mental illness" being the go-to "excuse." Studies show again and again that people with mental health disorders are typically LESS violent than society in general. If they decide to become violent, it is almost always toward themselves by acting on suicidal thoughts and impulses.

At some point you just have to realize that mass murder is the cost of American gun culture, and Americans are willing to pay it. The freedom to own a personal armory, post your new toys on Facebook for likes, and open carry in Walmart is worth it. This is what America is.

I mean what’s 20 elementary school kids once per decade compared to a million covid deaths ?

I for one am sick and tired of "mental illness" being the go-to "excuse." Studies show again and again that people with mental health disorders are typically LESS violent than society in general. If they decide to become violent, it is almost always toward themselves by acting on suicidal thoughts and impulses.

Not to mention that mental illness is common among people of all race, genders, and ages yet mass shootings are committed mostly by young white men.

At some point you just have to realize that mass murder is the cost of American gun culture, and Americans are willing to pay it. The freedom to own a personal armory, post your new toys on Facebook for likes, and open carry in Walmart is worth it. This is what America is.

Oh that's definitely it. I wouldn't say "Americans" broadly are willing to pay it. But those that do have disproportionate power in our society until the rest of us stand up to them.

Calling others crazy so you don’t have to address the real problem is very on brand for you and your type

It’s everyone but you who has a problem

Says the guy lashing out at *checks last few pages* everyone.

What do Republicans mean when they say "address mental health"? They are demonstrably not pro public health care, and given their party's increased Nazi rhetoric, it's not that hard to imagine that they don't mean "concentration camp for anyone who isn't neurotypical".

T&Ps in that scenario obviously, but the world goes so what can anyone do?

We’ll give a few bucks to Nancy and Chuck in your honor.

I may have missed it, but are you making suggestions for concreate actions that I could take to protect Mako et al., besides try and get reasonable politicians elected into office and donate to "Our Town USA", etc.? Our system of governance gives us very little control.

It used to be that white shooters were the result of a "mental health" crisis and minorities were simple thugs and criminals. Credit to the republicans for extending that excuse to a Hispanic shooter.

Back