• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I'm not willing to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who, with his family in the car, follows a stranger home to kick his ass based on interpretation of driving skills.

I'm not willing to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who, with his family in the car, follows a stranger home to kick his ass based on interpretation of driving skills.

You don't have to. There can be (and frequently are) two assholes in a road rage incident.

Actually, the victim followed the shooter to the shooter's home to "kick his ass" after a road rage incident and was subsequently shot and killed. Probably not a good idea to follow someone home to "kick his ass". Sad, but the victim was foolish in following anyone home after an altercation on a road.

Damn, I completely misread those details. That pretty much negates everything I posted.

That belongs on the Fascism thread. All citizens deserve the respect you two want an Iraq veteran to receive.

That belongs on the Fascism thread. All citizens deserve the respect you two want an Iraq veteran to receive.

My guess is neither you nor knowell nor Raleigh actually read the opinion piece, because it's actually a takedown of aggressive police tactics, militarization, etc.

My guess is neither you nor knowell nor Raleigh actually read the opinion piece, because it's actually a takedown of aggressive police tactics, militarization, etc.

It belongs on the Fascism thread because it's a takedown of aggressive police tactics, militarization, etc.

Have you read the Fascism thread? That's what the thread is about. This thread is more about mass shootings, gun accidents, and everyday gun violence.

It is not desensitization. It is the reality that people who had nothing to do with the atrocities do not want to be held responsible.

That's what I thought you were referencing. I think ONW is likely correct. People have tuned mass killings out because they happen so frequently - generally due to guns. If the massacre of 20 elementary school kids doesn't turn the tides, nothing ever well. America's stuck with its mass shooting issue because they're clinging ferociously to their guns.

That's what I thought you were referencing. I think ONW is likely correct. People have tuned mass killings out because they happen so frequently - generally due to guns. If the massacre of 20 elementary school kids doesn't turn the tides, nothing ever well. America's stuck with its mass shooting issue because they're clinging ferociously to their guns.

I disagree. It gets tuned out because these things are conducted by madmen and drug dealers in the inner cities. Most people do not associate with either of those categories of people.

Except when the gunman is Muslim, right? That doesn't get the tune-out treatment.

Also use of the term "inner city" is a huge tell for being out of touch with America in 2015.

I disagree. It gets tuned out because these things are conducted by madmen and drug dealers in the inner cities. Most people do not associate with either of those categories of people.

Just speaking for myself, so definitely an #anecdote, but I hardly react at all anymore when I see the CNN update "Shooting kills four in Tennessee." It's sad but I just sort of shrug and move on. It has nothing to do with it being madmen or drug dealers, just that shootings are relatively common place in America and people have turned an eye to it because it's in the news almost daily. It's becoming normalized as just a regular cost of living in America - which apparently it is now.

Except when the gunman is Muslim, right? That doesn't get the tune-out treatment.

Also use of the term "inner city" is a huge tell for being out of touch with America in 2015.

The Muslim who shot all those soldiers at Fort Hood got the tune out, and that event was called workplace violence until recently. Ask those who were shot.

Funny you focused on "inner city" instead of "drug dealer".

Can you tell me more about the inner city in America in 2015? I want to know more about it.

Why would you think I commented without reading the article. The military police tactics need to stop. The police should not treat citizens like they are an occupying force.

Back