• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

My wife's entire family is within 30-45 mins of Lewiston and they're all sheltering in place. Scary shit. My BIL and SIL were up at their camp in Seboomook for the past week or so and just got back into cell service about 30 minutes ago to learn about all of this. And my SIL legit knows half of the people in the state (and is somehow related to seemingly a quarter of them), so there is a non-zero chance that she knows someone that was killed.

My wife's entire family is within 30-45 mins of Lewiston and they're all sheltering in place. Scary shit. My BIL and SIL were up at their camp in Seboomook for the past week or so and just got back into cell service about 30 minutes ago to learn about all of this. And my SIL legit knows half of the people in the state (and is somehow related to seemingly a quarter of them), so there is a non-zero chance that she knows someone that was killed.

yikes, man. hang in there.

Right there with you. My family roots go back a long way in Lewiston/Auburn. Nothing like getting a text last night from my 80 year old parents, who live in Auburn, saying they are okay and sheltering in place until further notice. Am 99.9% sure they will know someone.

I saw a post on Blue Sky with a guy saying his mother is sheltering in place and at what point does your right to guns outweigh her right to be able to go the grocery store

where are all the Good Guy Punisher Sticker Freedom Lovers? i assume they're all out in their lifted Dodge Rams hunting for this asshat

I saw a post on Blue Sky with a guy saying his mother is sheltering in place and at what point does your right to guns outweigh her right to be able to go the grocery store
Has she heard of instacart? What a selfish old lady!

My grandma is from Lewiston. I got family in that cemetery. Being a white kid from New England, I’ve been pretty lucky to have never been directly impacted by gun violence. It’s scary that I hope and pray my kids will be just as fortunate, but double digit mass shootings are now a yearly occurrence in this country. People would rather say it’s mental illness or the decline of the two parent household rather than passing common sense gun laws like red flag law so when I guy tells people he is having thoughts about shooting up an army base they can take away his guns. Some many of these tragedies seem so avoidable yet our country continues to run headlong into them.

Boston and New England in general lost their shit when the Marathon bombings happened and 24 hours after 20 people were killed in Lewiston everyone has basically moved on. Wild times.

Boston and New England in general lost their shit when the Marathon bombings happened and 24 hours after 20 people were killed in Lewiston everyone has basically moved on. Wild times.
Because the suspect is an American white guy.

There's a bit more to it than that. Most importantly I don't know that I buy that "everyone has basically moved on", I know I haven't. We're now in day 2 of this guy running around out there and I don't exactly get the sense that the net is closing in on him.

My grandma is from Lewiston. I got family in that cemetery. Being a white kid from New England, I’ve been pretty lucky to have never been directly impacted by gun violence. It’s scary that I hope and pray my kids will be just as fortunate, but double digit mass shootings are now a yearly occurrence in this country. People would rather say it’s mental illness or the decline of the two parent household rather than passing common sense gun laws like red flag law so when I guy tells people he is having thoughts about shooting up an army base they can take away his guns. Some many of these tragedies seem so avoidable yet our country continues to run headlong into them.

Apparently, it's easier there to get an AR-15 than cold medicine locked up behind the pharmacist's counter.

For some reasons Americans feel more comfortable about something when its called a mass shooting as opposed to a terrorist attack.

I wasn't necessarily thinking about it in that respect when I posted, though I do agree the suspect "profile" changes people's thoughts. I was thinking more along the lines that we're just more and more desensitized to all the violence around. There is a mass shooter on the loose like 2 hours from Boston and you wouldn't have had any sense of that walking around town yesterday. No increased security, no fewer people out and about. Just struck me as odd compared with the complete shutdown that happened for days following the marathon events. Obviously the location of the two is very different and you wouldn't expect the same response, but it struck me as odd.

Back