• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Taylor Batten [Charlotte Observer] wonders if the legislature is scaring off business

Quote (potentially less alarming when read in context but still...):
------------
The Observer editorial board’s conversation with Ronnie Bryant took a sudden and surprising turn – from mundane to provocative – on Thursday.

Bryant is the CEO of the Charlotte Regional Partnership, making him the top job recruiter for the Charlotte region. He was going through his talking points about his organization’s important work when we asked whether North Carolina’s controversial legislature has had any effect on his business-recruitment efforts.

He perked up.

“All of our efforts in my opinion in the past couple of years (to build the Charlotte region’s brand) have been negated here in the last few weeks. It is devastating,” Bryant said.

“I was in New York two weeks ago trying to do some damage control. It’s out there,” Bryant said.

What are business leaders asking you?

“The number one question: What the hell are you guys doing?”
------------

I'm not sure what to make of 2&2's posts, it sounds like he wants to defend this shitty state governance but he can't figure out how.

I'm not sure what to make of 2&2's posts, it sounds like he wants to defend this shitty state governance but he can't figure out how.

I'm not defending the shitty state governance, but I am defending the concept that everyone should have to provide ID to vote.

How is it a poll tax? The required ID is free.

So in a state that is laying off teachers and other state employees you want them to spend millions to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

"500,000—estimated number of people in North Carolina who may not have a current NC driver’s license or state-issue photo ID card according to the State Board of Elections (Democracy North Carolina) - See more at: http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2013/07/22/monday-numbers-171/#sthash.unzulc3e.dpuf"

In the past TWELVE years, tens of millions of votes have been cast in NC.. there has been ONE case of voter impersonation in NC http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2013/07/22/monday-numbers-171/

"1—number of cases of voter impersonation fraud that occurred in North Carolina in the last 12 years according to the State Board of Elections (Ibid) - See more at: http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2013/07/22/monday-numbers-171/#sthash.unzulc3e.dpuf"

Keep your racist, anti-democracy laws....

So now everytime I disagree with a state expenditure, I can call it a poll tax? Got it. Medicaid - poll tax. School lunches - poll tax. Fracking subsidies - poll tax. This is fun.

voter ID was going to happen in some way regardless this session. I'm more bothered by the fact that same day registration was eliminated, the early voting period was shortened from 17 to 10 days, and pre-registration for high schoolers went away

You did. I asked you how the ID is a poll tax if it is free to the recipient, and your response was to criticize the expenditures of taxpayer dollars to provide them. How does you disagreeing with the expenditure make it a poll tax?

I'm not defending the shitty state governance

Good
I am defending the concept that everyone should have to provide ID to vote.

I don't disagree, but all the current proposed legislation for them is obviously for the purpose of voter suppression. As long as the Pubs are including a bunch of voter suppression legislation with Voter ID laws then I can't support them.

Good

I don't disagree, but all the current proposed legislation for them is obviously for the purpose of voter suppression. As long as the Pubs are including a bunch of voter suppression legislation with Voter ID laws then I can't support them.

How is it voter supression? Does it make it more "difficult" to vote? Okay, but voting is still not a hard process. These laws are not supressing anyone's ability to vote. Anybody who puts one iota of thought into voting can vote without any trouble at all. You have to register ONCE in your location of residence. Not weekly, not monthly, not yearly, not every 4 years, ONCE. And then you show up, in the vast majority of cases, one day every two or four years to actually vote. For something that we hold as the centerpiece of our governance, it is pretty fucking easy even with these "voter supression" laws. Our government does so many completely absurd things, it amazes me that this act is getting so much attention.

You did. I asked you how the ID is a poll tax if it is free to the recipient, and your response was to criticize the expenditures of taxpayer dollars to provide them. How does you disagreeing with the expenditure make it a poll tax?

I said nothing about about the other issues being a poll taxes. You are being an idiot.

day8.11.jpg

Good

As the article I linked showed 500,000 or more North Carolinians do not have IDs that would qualify under the new law.

Cancelling over 1/3 of the early voting is voter suppression.

Ending same day registration is voter suppression.

There's no way around closing polls and not allowing those in line their right to vote being anything other than voter suppression.

MDMH, people like 2&2 and others won't admit the purpose of these is voter suppression. Anyone who doesn't admit this is either a moron or a liar. There are no other options.

How is it voter supression? Does it make it more "difficult" to vote? Okay, but voting is still not a hard process. These laws are not supressing anyone's ability to vote. Anybody who puts one iota of thought into voting can vote without any trouble at all. You have to register ONCE in your location of residence. Not weekly, not monthly, not yearly, not every 4 years, ONCE. And then you show up, in the vast majority of cases, one day every two or four years to actually vote. For something that we hold as the centerpiece of our governance, it is pretty fucking easy even with these "voter supression" laws. Our government does so many completely absurd things, it amazes me that this act is getting so much attention.

If you can so easily accept the fact that current legislation makes it harder to vote then you really don't get the point and probably never will. There is no reason to making voting harder, no matter how easy it is to begin with. It's currently much harder for hourly employees, students, the elderly, and those without cars, to vote then it was 2 months ago. Why are our State representatives making it harder for those people to vote?

As the article I linked showed 500,000 or more North Carolinians do not have IDs that would qualify under the new law.

Cancelling over 1/3 of the early voting is voter suppression.

Ending same day registration is voter suppression.

There's no way around closing polls and not allowing those in line their right to vote being anything other than voter suppression.

MDMH, people like 2&2 and others won't admit the purpose of these is voter suppression. Anyone who doesn't admit this is either a moron or a liar. There are no other options.

I've read (probably on this board) a lot about the bill taking away the right to vote if you are in line when the polls are closed, but as I read it, the rule stayed in place. It does appear that individual counties no longer have the ability, under extraordinary circumstances to extend voting hours to 8:30, and that the State Board of Elections can only extend voting hours if polls are delayed in opening more than 15 minutes or interrupted more than 15 minutes during the day and only for the amount of time of the delay or interruption. While I would keep it at the county level, this doesn't seem too bad to me. And it actually gives more leeway (at least for the State) to keep polls open past 8:30 if there were problems during the day. Don't get me wrong, this bill is atrocious, but this part, in particular, doesn't seem all that bad.

voter ID was going to happen in some way regardless this session. I'm more bothered by the fact that same day registration was eliminated, the early voting period was shortened from 17 to 10 days, and pre-registration for high schoolers went away

I agree. Voter ID was small potatoes compared to the rest of it.

What if you turn 18 on the day of the election or the day before? How do you register and get recognized as a legal voter at the polls?

I agree. Voter ID was small potatoes compared to the rest of it.

Any voter bill that doesn't include mechanisms to make it easier for the entire eligible electorate to register to vote and actually vote is completely unAmerican.

What if you turn 18 on the day of the election or the day before? How do you register and get recognized as a legal voter at the polls?

i think you can pre-register, but the thing they got rid of was maybe being able to do it at school? :noidea:

Back