• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

NCBA Urges Governor To Veto House Bill 652

Article Date: Tuesday, August 06, 2013

The North Carolina Bar Association is urging Gov. Pat McCrory to veto legislation that would revise significantly the authority provided now by state law regarding the discipline of judges.

House Bill 652 takes away the authority of the Judicial Standards Commission to issue public reprimands and vests all forms of public discipline in the Supreme Court. It makes disciplinary hearings private, and keeps all case records confidential unless and until the Supreme Court decides to take disciplinary action.

In addition, this legislation provides that the N.C. Supreme Court would discipline its own members, a responsibility currently assigned to the most senior six judges of the N.C. Court of Appeals.

“After extensive discussion and review of House Bill 652, we have asked Gov. McCrory to veto this legislation,” said NCBA President Alan Duncan. “We feel, as an organization, it is important to stand up for transparency, on behalf of the profession, and more importantly on behalf the citizens of North Carolina.”

“It is the belief of the Bar Association that the existing system has worked well and that this legislation is not necessary. If we should learn, however, sufficient reason to undertake a studied review of the Judicial Standards Commission, the Bar Association would support that idea.”

Chief Judge John Martin of the N.C. Court of Appeals, who also serves as chairman of the Judicial Standards Commission, previously voiced his concerns about this legislation when it was contained within another bill. Chief Justice Sarah Parker of the N.C. Supreme Court concurred with Judge Martin’s concerns.
- See more at: http://www.ncbar.org/about/communic...r-to-veto-house-bill-652#sthash.VVNy6xVo.dpuf

I would really like to know what lobbyists or other parties were pushing this legislation. I have no idea why it was passed or what alleged issue it was supposed to address.

I've read (probably on this board) a lot about the bill taking away the right to vote if you are in line when the polls are closed, but as I read it, the rule stayed in place. It does appear that individual counties no longer have the ability, under extraordinary circumstances to extend voting hours to 8:30, and that the State Board of Elections can only extend voting hours if polls are delayed in opening more than 15 minutes or interrupted more than 15 minutes during the day and only for the amount of time of the delay or interruption. While I would keep it at the county level, this doesn't seem too bad to me. And it actually gives more leeway (at least for the State) to keep polls open past 8:30 if there were problems during the day. Don't get me wrong, this bill is atrocious, but this part, in particular, doesn't seem all that bad.

What you described sounds like shutting the door on people in line to vote at 8:30.

What you described sounds like shutting the door on people in line to vote at 8:30.

I probably did a poor job paraphrasing. Law says polls close at 7:30. Law also says if you are in line when the polls close, you get to vote, no matter what time you actually end up voting. Law used to say if there are extraordinary circumstances, county can keep polls open until 8:30, in which case, if you are in line at 8:30, you get to vote. Now the law says county doesn't get to keep polls open for extraordinary circumstances, but the state board of elections can keep them open for delays in opening at the start of the day or for interruptions during the day, but the delay or interruption must be for more than 15 minutes and they can only keep the polls open for the amount of time of the delay or interruption. Thus, if there was a 2 hour delay in opening the polls, the state could allow the polls to be open until 9:30 (2 hours after the 7:30 normal close time). In that case, anyone in line at 9:30 gets to vote.

"How patronizing is the Left in North Carolina of minorities? So much so that they believe it is 'suppression' to require a photo ID to confirm that you are who you say you are when exercising the most fundamental constitutional right. Do minorities in North Carolina not travel? Not use credit cards? Not buy Sudafed? So much so that they believe minorities are not responsible enough to complete their voter registrations 25 days before an election. Can minorities in North Carolina not plan in advance if they care enough to vote? So much so that they believe Election Day should be Election Month. Can minorities not find time any time within 10 early voting days to cast a ballot? Why do Republicans not frame the debate in these terms? The Left's disgust for the voter ID bill reflects their perception of minorities as people without individual responsibility, wards of the state, unable to do anything for themselves. And that, folks, is truly the most shameful part of this debate."

"How patronizing is the Left in North Carolina of minorities? So much so that they believe it is 'suppression' to require a photo ID to confirm that you are who you say you are when exercising the most fundamental constitutional right. Do minorities in North Carolina not travel? Not use credit cards? Not buy Sudafed? So much so that they believe minorities are not responsible enough to complete their voter registrations 25 days before an election. Can minorities in North Carolina not plan in advance if they care enough to vote? So much so that they believe Election Day should be Election Month. Can minorities not find time any time within 10 early voting days to cast a ballot? Why do Republicans not frame the debate in these terms? The Left's disgust for the voter ID bill reflects their perception of minorities as people without individual responsibility, wards of the state, unable to do anything for themselves. And that, folks, is truly the most shameful part of this debate."

That is pretty patronizing to assume that this whole debate is happening without minorities expressing their own views. That quote seems to assume that this is two groups of white folks deciding the issue for brown people.

No need to quote jhmd. He can just post that himself.

I'm sure Republicans will be working hard to make sure people who don't have IDs can get them and workers get time off to early vote and that the polls will run quickly and efficiently in Dem-leaning neighborhoods. Republicans care about the people and are just trying to stop voter fraud.

That is pretty patronizing to assume that this whole debate is happening without minorities expressing their own views. That quote seems to assume that this is two groups of white folks deciding the issue for brown people.

Well for the most part it is. But there are plenty of groups of brown people working hard against this legislation.

How is it a poll tax? The required ID is free.

While the ID is free, you have take the time to visit the local DMV during their generally limited hours and take no fewer than four forms of identification with you. One form of identification has to be your social security card or tax documents. Other forms include original birth certificate, marriage license, and divorce papers. Don't have a birth certificate or marriage license? Send in a $24 money order or certified check for each form you need(yet another fee). You should expect processing to take up to five weeks. Plan ahead!

"If people really care about voting, they can find a way."

Getting really sick of this Sudafed-ID analogy from McCrory... you don't have a hard-fought, constitutional right to purchase Sudafed.

Just got a campaign email from Roy Cooper saying how appalled he is at the new voting restrictions and how he urged McCrory to veto them. Officially Cooper is running for reelection as AG in 2016 but I strongly suspect that will turn into a run for governor.

Just got a campaign email from Roy Cooper saying how appalled he is at the new voting restrictions and how he urged McCrory to veto them. Officially Cooper is running for reelection as AG in 2016 but I strongly suspect that will turn into a run for governor.

I've been getting them as well. He had a Change.org petition going that didn't get a lot of publicity, but still had something like 20K signatures in just a couple days. These next two elections could be interesting, but I fear they won't.

Republican fundraising is crushing dems in this state since last election. Lots of powerful pubs giving truckloads of cash to make sure they defend their seats next year and in 2016.

North Carolinians Oppose Voter Bill

PPP's newest North Carolina poll, conducted over the weekend, finds that only 39% of voters in the state support the voting/elections law to 50% who are opposed to it.

It's true that voter ID on its own is a popular concept with voters. In January of 2011 we found 66/27 support for it. But all the other stuff lumped into the bill along with voter ID is unpopular enough to make the overall bill a loser in voters' eyes.

For instance:

-Only 33% of voters in the state support reducing the early voting period by a week to 59% who are opposed. Independents (28/62) and Democrats (22/70) are both strongly opposed to that provision.

-Only 21% of voters in the state support eliminating straight party ticket voting to 68% who are opposed. There's bipartisan consensus on that issue with Democrats (70/17) and Republicans (68/22) both thinking that should continue to be allowed.

The unpopularity of these provisions is enough to make the overall bill unpopular despite the fact that voters support requiring a photo ID to vote. White voters only narrowly support the new voting bill (46/44), while African Americans (16/72) are heavily opposed. Republicans (71%) support the bill but Democrats (72%) are just as unified in their opposition and independents are against it by a 49/43 margin as well. And perhaps most foreboding for Republicans, moderate voters stand against the legislation 70/20.

We'll have much more from our North Carolina poll over the next few days.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/08/north-carolinians-oppose-voter-bill.html

I've been getting them as well. He had a Change.org petition going that didn't get a lot of publicity, but still had something like 20K signatures in just a couple days. These next two elections could be interesting, but I fear they won't.

Republican fundraising is crushing dems in this state since last election. Lots of powerful pubs giving truckloads of cash to make sure they defend their seats next year and in 2016.

Money is important but if the General Assembly continues to enact their cookie-cutter far right agenda next session, they may not be able to spend enough to keep ahead of the demographics. Their voters are dying faster than they are being replaced. I believe they'll keep control of the legislature in 2014 but 2016 is when there is a chance for a reversal.

Roy Cooper symbolizes everything wrong with politics. His job is to enforce the laws as written, not use his position to voice his own opinions for his own personal political gain. If he wants to push his own agenda then do so as a legislator or governor, not from his position as AG.

Roy Cooper symbolizes everything wrong with politics. His job is to enforce the laws as written, not use his position to voice his own opinions for his own personal political gain. If he wants to push his own agenda then do so as a legislator or governor, not from his position as AG.

lol.

Roy Cooper has done far, far, FAR more for the state of NC than Empty Suit McCrory could ever hope to do.

While the ID is free, you have take the time to visit the local DMV during their generally limited hours and take no fewer than four forms of identification with you. One form of identification has to be your social security card or tax documents. Other forms include original birth certificate, marriage license, and divorce papers. Don't have a birth certificate or marriage license? Send in a $24 money order or certified check for each form you need(yet another fee). You should expect processing to take up to five weeks. Plan ahead!

"If people really care about voting, they can find a way."

Dude, everyone complains about dealing with the DMV, yet the vast, vast majority figure out a way to get through the process. I'm pretty sure every single American citizen would love to do away with the procedural disaster of the DMV. But, guess what? There is some inconvenience for everyone in life. Get over it and deal with it. The defeatest attititude of someone complaining about having to go to the DMV a whole ONE TIME in their life to get some ID is probably a good reason why they have never needed any form of ID up to this point.

I demand that I not be forced to pay for gas to drive to my polling place several miles from my house. I demand that someone appear at my doorstep at a time I specifiy on voting day so that I can vote in my drawers without leaving my property. It's my goddamn right as an American that the government do this for me, and everyone who says otherwise is a raciost, elitist bigot.

And while we are at it, it's my goddamn right to own a firearm, and anyone who says I have to go down to the police station (my God, how do I find the time and how do I get there), apply for a permit using several forms of identification (oh shit, what if I don't have any), and then wait through a waiting period (but I want it right now) is also a raciost elitist bigot.

Last edited:
Back