• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Dude, everyone complains about dealing with the DMV, yet the vast, vast majority figure out a way to get through the process. I'm pretty sure every single American citizen would love to do away with the procedural disaster of the DMV. But, guess what? There is some inconvenience for everyone in life. Get over it and deal with it. The defeatest attititude of someone complaining about having to go to the DMV a whole ONE TIME in their life to get some ID is probably a good reason why they have never needed any form of ID up to this point.

I demand that I not be forced to pay for gas to drive to my polling place several miles from my house. I demand that someone appear at my doorstep at a time I specifiy on voting day so that I can vote in my drawers without leaving my property. It's my goddamn right as an American that the government do this for me, and everyone who says otherwise is a raciost, elitist bigot.

And while we are at it, it's my goddamn right to own a firearm, and anyone who says I have to go down to the police station (my God, how do I find the time and how do I get there), apply for a permit using several forms of identification (oh shit, what if I don't have any), and then wait through a waiting period (but I want it right now) is also a raciost elitist bigot.

Actually, you can vote in your drawers. Just request an absentee ballot. Republicans like to use those, and so they didn't get any added restrictions even though about half the reported instances of voter fraud nationwide in the past year (of less than 50 total) involved absentee ballots.

They don't even care. They are getting theirs while they can.

Can we get some conservatives on here capable of intelligent debate? Sometimes it's hard to believe that half you guys have law degrees. How am I supposed to take someone seriously who analogizes gun purchase restrictions with voting restrictions? All the clever RJ digs in the world can't make up for dumb shit like that.

The answer to "Why are we making it harder to vote?" can not be "It's not that hard". Do you understand how B is not an answer to A? The voting process is now more restricted. Why? To what purpose? Ultimately, voting regulations should be designed to motivate and accommodate voters, thus garnering MORE VOTES. Outside of legislation to prevent voter fraud, there is absolutely no reason to restrict the voting process.

Can we get some conservatives on here capable of intelligent debate? Sometimes it's hard to believe that half you guys have law degrees. How am I supposed to take someone seriously who analogizes gun purchase restrictions with voting restrictions? All the clever RJ digs in the world can't make up for dumb shit like that.

The answer to "Why are we making it harder to vote?" can not be "It's not that hard". Do you understand how B is not an answer to A? The voting process is now more restricted. Why? To what purpose? Ultimately, voting regulations should be designed to motivate and accommodate voters, thus garnering MORE VOTES. Outside of legislation to prevent voter fraud, there is absolutely no reason to restrict the voting process.

1. How are they different? They are both Constitutionally protected freedoms. One has lots of procedural restrictions (that I support), but for some reason the other shouldn't have any at all? Just show up, throw out a name, and vote. Sure, that sounds like a good way to do it.

2. We are making it harder to vote because there should be some effort to ensure that the process is legitimate. It's that simple, and the fact that we have had nothing in place until this point is more laughable than the imposed requirements. And again, we're not going from super easy to nearly impossible, we are going from super easy to still really easy. And no, the voting regulations should not be designed to motivate voters (just like the role of gun regulations is not to motivate more gun purchases), that is the voters perogative whether they want to vote or not. The voting regulations should be designed to ensure a legitimate voting process. That's it.

Last edited:
The voting process is legitimate. We showed the actual stats. Only wackos and those who want to suppress the vote don't think so.

1. How are they different? They are both Constitutionally protected freedoms. One has lots of procedural restrictions (that I support), but for some reason the other shouldn't have any at all? Just show up, throw out a name, and vote. Sure, that sounds like a good way to do it.

2. We are making it harder to vote because there should be some effort to ensure that the process is legitimate. It's that simple, and the fact that we have had nothing in place until this point is more laughable than the imposed requirements. And again, we're not going from super easy to nearly impossible, we are going from super easy to still really easy. And no, the voting regulations should not be designed to motivate voters (just like the role of gun regulations is not to motivate more gun purchases), that is the voters perogative whether they want to vote or not. The voting regulations should be designed to ensure a legitimate voting process. That's it.

Dear Lord, please stop equating voting with gun ownership. I can't even begin to describe to you how unintelligent and thoughtless of an argument that is. It is in the best interest of the United States, and State Governments to have as high a voter turnout as possible to best represent the will of the people. That concept does not apply to gun ownership at all, AT all. At all.

As for your "legitimate voting process" point, it's irrelevant to these voting restrictings and you know it. Shortening voting hours, days, and disallowing out of state students to vote does less than nothing to "ensure a legitimate voting process", in fact they are unrelated to that purpose. I already covered the voter ID portion relating to voter fraud, so your attempt to hide behind voting integrity as the reasoning behind the rest of this new legislation is not going to work. That dog won't hunt. Voter ID may be about ensuring voting integrity, the rest of this shit isn't about integrity. If you want me to take your next attempt at defense seriously, you need to separate those points.

Dear Lord, please stop equating voting with gun ownership. I can't even begin to describe to you how unintelligent and thoughtless of an argument that is. It is in the best interest of the United States, and State Governments to have as high a voter turnout as possible to best represent the will of the people. That concept does not apply to gun ownership at all, AT all. At all.

As for your "legitimate voting process" point, it's irrelevant to these voting restrictings and you know it. Shortening voting hours, days, and disallowing out of state students to vote does less than nothing to "ensure a legitimate voting process", in fact they are unrelated to that purpose. I already covered the voter ID portion relating to voter fraud, so your attempt to hide behind voting integrity as the reasoning behind the rest of this new legislation is not going to work. That dog won't hunt. Voter ID may be about ensuring voting integrity, the rest of this shit isn't about integrity. If you want me to take your next attempt at defense seriously, you need to separate those points.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to myDeaconmyhand again.

2&2 defends GOP crap by habit.

Anyone really think this bill is about voter fraud and not an attempt to increase GOP chances of victory in NC?

Anyone really think this bill is about voter fraud and not an attempt to increase GOP chances of victory in NC?

Every 'pub I've spoken to just keeps parroting the ID talking point and acting like they don't know what you're talking about with the rest. Probably because it's indefensible.

I know a bunch of Dems that voted for Gov. Empty Suit. How's his ass taste now?

The Guv played in the Pro-Am at the Wyndham in Greensboro yesterday. He commented to reporters that it was good to be out of the Raleigh bubble. The paper also noted how there were no protesters and how he met, shook hands, and laughed it up with political supporters and donors at practically every tee box.

Way to get out of that bubble and amongst the little people, Guv.

The current talking point out of Raleigh is that the Democrats had corruptly and evilly manipulated the voting process with all the early voting designed to get the Dem vote out, so they're just righting past wrongs. So basically, they're admitting that the Dems designed a system that allowed too many Dems to vote and they're fixing it.

In other news, the GOP controlled board of election in Boone just voted to shut down the polling place at App State and the GOP controlled board of election in Elizabeth City voted that a ECSU senior living on campus and registered to vote in Elizabeth City since 2009 is not a resident and can't run for city counsel.

I'm not defending the shitty state governance, but I am defending the concept that everyone should have to provide ID to vote.

Or you could simply learn to read.

Back