• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Who was the last NC governor who didn't have a balanced budget ?

You know that the budget didn't get "balanced" (i.e., reducing expenditures to match existing revenue sources), it got reduced across the board by hundreds of millions of dollars, so that the legislature and McCrory could enact tax cuts targeted at the richest North Carolinians and out of state corporations? You're aware of this fact, right? Please tell me you understand this incredibly basic reality of North Carolina budget politics since 2010.

His start was definitely rocky. He got run over by the legislature and was ineffectual in stopping things he didn't agree with...education and the lack of Medicaid expansion are the biggest red marks from early on. Currently it's the inability of his admin to get his own party to cooperate in order to try and lure business here. McCrory is pretty business friendly...this legislature isn't very friendly to anyone except fundamentalist Christians and gun owners.

You know that the budget didn't get "balanced" (i.e., reducing expenditures to match existing revenue sources), it got reduced across the board by hundreds of millions of dollars, so that the legislature and McCrory could enact tax cuts targeted at the richest North Carolinians and out of state corporations? You're aware of this fact, right? Please tell me you understand this incredibly basic reality of North Carolina budget politics since 2010.

Sounds like balancing it to me. I was unaware that revenue levels needed to stay the same to balance something. If they had raised revenue and raised expenses such that both were equal, would that not be balancing it? What if they had kept expenses the same and raised revenue to match it - would you consider that balancing it (i'll answer that for you - of course you would).

Who was the last NC governor who didn't have a balanced budget ?

Anybody have an answer to this question? Based on 2&2's posts, McCrory did some monumental feat that has not been accomplished in a very long time. Surely no other NC governor has balanced the budget. And if they did it, they couldn't have done it with robust education spending.

Anybody have an answer to this question? Based on 2&2's posts, McCrory did some monumental feat that has not been accomplished in a very long time. Surely no other NC governor has balanced the budget. And if they did it, they couldn't have done it with robust education spending.

Pretty sure all states have to balance their budget - they can't deficit spend like the federal government.

I'm aware that states have to balance their budgets and I was making fun of 2&2 for making it seem like a notable accomplishment that required severe cuts in spending.

It's an accomplishment that required something, as it always does. Budget ain't gonna balance itself. 923 apparently didn't like how it was balanced this time around. Every time it is balanced somebody is pissed that their taxes were raised for the revenue or their program was cut for expense. So it goes.

It's an accomplishment that required something, as it always does. Budget ain't gonna balance itself. 923 apparently didn't like how it was balanced this time around. Every time it is balanced somebody is pissed that their taxes were raised for the revenue or their program was cut for expense. So it goes.
You're right, it's not going to balance itself, it's just going to be balanced every term no matter who is sitting in the chair taking credit for it.

Kudos to McCrory, but at this point he must realize (1) he is the only one of these fools who has to run statewide, so he needs to veto crazy bills or else he'll lose in 2016 and (2) Berger et al don't care if he wins in 2016, and in fact may prefer that he loses, so McCrory shouldn't GAF when he pisses them off.

"Balance" is an interesting term to use with this state government.

Senate overrides marriage bill veto. Approves abortion bill.

The vote was 32-16 to override Gov. Pat McCrory’s veto of a bill exempting magistrates from performing marriages if they have a religious objection. The bill now goes to the House, where Speaker Tim Moore said that he’ll schedule an override vote for Wednesday. A three-fifths majority there would allow the bill to become law despite McCrory’s objection, but the margin is expected to be closer there because last week’s original vote barely met a veto-proof threshold. As the House takes its vote on the override Wednesday, it will also vote on another McCrory veto: a bill aimed at punishing people who take jobs in order to expose unsafe or inhumane conditions or to steal from their employers. That legislation has been labeled an “ag-gag” bill by its opponents.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article22844265.html

Back