• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phillip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

If he survived and blamed the incident on the "disease of addiction", what do you think the reaction would be?

I think there would be an outpouring of love and support for him.

What do YOU think the reaction would be?

Last edited:
Want to talk about parenting?

His ex partner is now saying that he appeared high on Saturday afternoon and later that night when she talked to him on the phone. Then she called his assistant on Sunday because he didn't show up on time to pick up the kids.

i have a family member addicted to heroin, and it's a sickness that will follow him for the rest of his life. he will not just "get over" heroin. he can't go to rehab and just "get over it." PSH was sick, it sucks. He shouldn't have been doing it, but he did, and it sucks. Has nothing to do with how he treated his kids.

Heroin is nasty business. My high school class was only 125 but 6 have died from heroin ODs. It's the same story...start with oxys, get addicted, go to rehab, lose sources/money then get into heroin. Everyone overdoses recently after being clean from RXs and getting an unexpectedly high dose of heroin.

Cue some attack from Moon who would rather attack me than parent.

You can be a slave to your addictions and still be a damn fool.
Not sure I understand that. The addiction consumed him....so I'm not sure how his behavior was "foolish". Sure addiction is a disease of choice but the longer and more intense the addiction, the harder it is to choose abstinence. People increasingly lose the ability to feel pleasure/reward (anhedonia), which IMO is tragic. That's one reason it's so hard to treat and why people have to be pushed almost to the brink before turning around. How does one live life without pleasure? The will to live almost has to be stronger.

Reports are he and his significant other split over his relapse (after 23 years of abstinence evidently), for the sake of his kids. They're also looking to see if he shot up the recent fentanyl combo which has been killing people in Pittsburgh...and was moving east. Deadly stuff.

i have a family member addicted to heroin, and it's a sickness that will follow him for the rest of his life. he will not just "get over" heroin. he can't go to rehab and just "get over it." PSH was sick, it sucks. He shouldn't have been doing it, but he did, and it sucks. Has nothing to do with how he treated his kids.

It's a brutal, brutal sickness. I know two people who successfully rehabbed from it and they basically cut ties from their old lives. One moved to SLC, and the other moved to Scranton, PA. It's virtually impossible to get oxy now, unless you're dying of cancer, so moving away from big cities and heroin is the only chance people really have.

Hell, on my high school golf team (of all sports), one kid ODed and another guy on the team sold it to him and spent 6 years in jail.

He was supposed to pick up his kids the next day…and he was getting ripped on heroin. I don't give a fuck about his acting…whether it was good or bad. He failed as a father….>>Hoffman was last seen alive at 8 p.m. Saturday, a law enforcement official said. He was expected to get his children on Sunday, but didn't show up, the official said. Playwright David Katz and another person went to the apartment and found him dead, the official said.
A needle was in the actor's left arm, and eight empty glassine-type bags that usually contain heroin were found in the apartment, law enforcement sources told CNN.<<

It's the bolded part that makes this poster sound like a douche. His (Hoffman's) failings are clear, but to dismiss his talent, gift, and any other good qualities he might have had so absolutely comes off like a sanctimonious ass. Just sayin'. (This is in response to ELC's post.)

Have a friend in law school (from SLC) that was recovering. Last I heard he moved back to SLC and got back into his old life.

Have a friend in law school (from SLC) that was recovering. Last I heard he moved back to SLC and got back into his old life.

I didn't mean to imply that SLC is the place to go to get clean but he was living in NYC so moving 3000 miles away was his only chance. He got married last weekend. I know about 20 people who have died from heroin and he's one of the very few success story. It's horrible, especially in NYC/Newark where the heroin is purer than pure. PSH was getting heroin that was 99% pure I imagine.

I understood what you meant. I just thought that was an odd coincidence that the one person I know that's used heroin lived there.

This is a thread about parenting?

Start a parenting thread if you want to express how bad parenting as an addict is. I'm sure you will find no disagreement.

He was a very well-liked and appreciated actor, and his death came as a surprise because he hadn't had a very public struggle (arrests, previous ODs, etc.)

This is a thread about parenting?

Start a parenting thread if you want to express how bad parenting as an addict is. I'm sure you will find no disagreement.

He was a very well-liked and appreciated actor, and his death came as a surprise because he hadn't had a very public struggle (arrests, previous ODs, etc.)

He was very open about relapsing. When someone relapses on heroin their death is almost always imminent.

Of course he fucked up, and he paid the ultimate price. Do we need posters to lecture us about it while we celebrate the good shit PSH did to make our lives a little better?

Good grief :rulz:

Fuck. Off.

It seems to me that the ones doing the lecturing are the ones that don't want PSH criticized in any way, shape, or form. Of course he is a great actor. A lot of dipshits have been taken over the years by heroin, and most of them weren't worth writing home about. Here is a serious talent gone way too soon. It would seem the perfect time to remind people of the idiocy of heroin.

Oh thank you ELC, thank you for pointing out what no one could see for themselves about heroin. Thank you.

I think there would be an outpouring of love and support for him.

What do YOU think the reaction would be?

From his Hollywood crew, no doubt. There would also be a firestorm of criticism for him seemingly making excuses by chalking it up to a "disease" rather than his own bad decisions. FWIW, he didn't strike me as the kind of guy who would do that. His interviews lead me to believe that he was fully aware of the constant tug of his old ways, and that he feared and abhorred it.

It's the bolded part that makes this poster sound like a douche. His (Hoffman's) failings are clear, but to dismiss his talent, gift, and any other good qualities he might have had so absolutely comes off like a sanctimonious ass. Just sayin'. (This is in response to ELC's post.)

I understand that, but I think that's largely a matter of semantics. As if being indelicate is new to this board. Let's put it another way and say that he was the most loving father imaginable. He still prioritized heroin over his family. Or substitute prioritized with some other word that seems more reasonable. In the end, that's the conclusion and the reality of the situation. And it sucks.

I'm glad we had some people on here to remind us that PSH was a bad parent for OD'ing, otherwise we never would have known. Of course PSH's failure as a parent is what we should be discussing, it's not like there was anything else about him relevant to our own lives. You all remember Michael Jackson for being a terrible parent, right?

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Oh thank you ELC, thank you for pointing out what no one could see for themselves about heroin. Thank you.

Maybe the observation is so obvious that it doesn't need mentioning, but I can't think of a better time to bring it up than when a talent like PSH is taken from us.

Point previously made, but you're welcome.

Back