• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

ec05d08cec2ad1a5a2e83bb53671c9f2.jpg

Had to put Booger down this morning. Was hoping to make the trip back to Winston, and take him to his vet tomorrow so things could at least be more familiar. His lungs had filled with fluid, and he had thrown up all over himself last night though. He was ready and it was the right decision but it sucks and I miss him.

He had a really awesome last couple days barking at fish at the lake behind my inlaws house, so that makes me happy. I really appreciate all the support from everyone on here. I've never quite experience anything like this before. I got him when I was 21 and just finished my junior year at Wake. He didn't get to live as long as he deserved, but he was a constant companion through some really significant moments in my life.

Love your fur babies a little extra today for greatest dog I've ever known.

I knew what your post was before I opened the thread, but it didn't make reading it any easier. Happy feels directed your way Deacfreak.

yeah, even though i'd already seen it on facebook, reading that still has tears rolling down my face. extra love to Jackson today, and our thoughts are with you guys.

Yep, Ralph, Chester and Drake getting extra treats and love. Really, words just fail.

Sorry for the loss DF07, so so crappy losing a best fur buddy. Extra scritches to our two in Booger's memory.

Had to put my dog, who was nearly 19 years old and I had since I was 5, to sleep today. Such a shitty day :tear:

Very sorry to hear that and sorry for your loss, but 19 is an awesome life for a dog. Way to give him/her a great life for such a long period of time. I wish more dogs could be so lucky.

Had to put Booger down this morning. Was hoping to make the trip back to Winston, and take him to his vet tomorrow so things could at least be more familiar. His lungs had filled with fluid, and he had thrown up all over himself last night though. He was ready and it was the right decision but it sucks and I miss him.

He had a really awesome last couple days barking at fish at the lake behind my inlaws house, so that makes me happy. I really appreciate all the support from everyone on here. I've never quite experience anything like this before. I got him when I was 21 and just finished my junior year at Wake. He didn't get to live as long as he deserved, but he was a constant companion through some really significant moments in my life.

Love your fur babies a little extra today for greatest dog I've ever known.

And sorry to hear about your loss as well. I'll take more chewed coaches, chairs, and remotes because easily the worst part about having a dog is the day they are no longer with us.

Damn Deacfreak, so sorry to hear that :( I'm glad you got to enjoy the last few days with him and have some quality time... sending happy thoughts your way and hugging my little troublemaker. DV7 put it best.

So so sorry, DF07. Your post made me sad, but the part about Booger barking at fish made me smile.

Sylvia has been a real pain barking at night lately, so I just bought an anti-bark citronella spray collar for her. I've tried telling her "quiet" (which she knows), and spraying her with a spray bottle, but she'll be quiet for a bit and then bark again, which is really annoying obviously. I don't want her to piss off my landlords who live above me, so I think I need something that is not associated with ME, but rather will be associated immediately with her barking (like a spray in the face).

Looking for advice on whether I should keep the collar on her all the time, so she will hopefully not learn to associate the spray with that collar and she will bark less all around, or if I should only put it on her after she barks so she will know she has it on and won't bark (but may still bark when she knows she doesn't have it on). Thoughts?

Also for more info, I think part of the barking might be that she's anxious in certain situations, but sometimes I think she is just being a brat. She usually sleeps on the couch in my living room, and I sleep in my room. One night a few weeks ago she started growling/barking when I went to bed, and I thought it was because my landlord was outside taking the garbage out so I just told her to be quiet. But then ~5 more times in the middle of the night, I woke up because she was barking! It got to the point where I had to put her in her crate and sleep on the couch, and even then I had to get up a few times to spray her with a water bottle so she'd stfu. It's happened a few times since then, but not as bad as having to put her in the crate, so that's why I want to try another solution.

b9eqnr.jpg

ETA pic of Sylvia (on the right) and her cousin Rutgers from Thanksgiving :)

Last edited:
We've got a bark collar that shocks our dog & it's worked dang well.

We've got a bark collar that shocks our dog & it's worked dang well.

Thanks - that will be the next step if this doesn't work. Do you leave it on all the time, just when you don't want it to bark, or just 24/7 during a training period?

We leave it on all the time & take it off at night occasionally. He's a hound dog so he'll bark at any moving thing outside, hence why we got it.

Deacon barks a lot, and he could get Booger going, so we got this little thing that looks like a birdhouse that plays a tone audible to dogs. It works awesome. We just sometimes set it next to Deacon's crate without turning it on and it will quiet him.

how'd he like it?

Loved it. He likes all treats and all foods, mostly, but this was above and beyond.

We ended up having to take it from him, because he would've eaten the whole chew in a day if we hadn't. He ended up finishing it off after 3-4 days though.

The best part was he kept burying them in my parents' backyard. Dog instincts are weird.

Ralph has had 5 seizures in 4 days. We're starting to think it's not idiopathic epilepsy after all. This blows especially because Chester is starting to have more rough days than good.

Ralph has had 5 seizures in 4 days. We're starting to think it's not idiopathic epilepsy after all. This blows especially because Chester is starting to have more rough days than good.

That sucks, chic.

Back