• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

How the progress on your new rescue?

tswake, you are kind to ask. Let me introduce you to “ Esme”. We were approved yesterday by Carolina Boxer Rescue. It was a gorgeous day and friends kept stopping by with gifts for our new baby. Here is a picture of her with my son, her favorite ball, hear favorite past time and her commute to work with me this morning:
IMG_5314_zpsxadnh5cw.jpg

IMG_5341_zpsdxa7heyp.jpg

DOG1_zpsgmbr1jj1.jpg

IMG_5358_zpsnt81apxc.jpg

Thanks again to everyone here who helped in one crappy month for me. I really appreciate the support.

(Sorry for the large images)

That's awesome tardawg. How old is she?

They advertised her as 3 years old, and I think this time they were accurate. As you can see she has a little skin allergy and they told us we did not have to keep her if it was an issue. As a family that has had Boxers with some unusual characteristics we were happy to take her in. The first boxer I have ever owned that liked to retrieve a ball. I have always been jealous of all those lab owners, so Esme was kind of a double bonus. Not too crazy about her name, but she knows it well so I think we will keep it. It was so hard to choose between all the dogs Carolina Boxer rescue has, but I am confident we found a special one. If anyone is ever looking for a pooch I strongly recommend this breed and this non-profit group. Again, thank you all for the the friendship over the years as a “Tar”& “Dawg”, but mostly this past month. I really enjoy this forum more than any other.

They advertised her as 3 years old, and I think this time they were accurate. As you can see she has a little skin allergy and they told us we did not have to keep her if it was an issue. As a family that has had Boxers with some unusual characteristics we were happy to take her in. The first boxer I have ever owned that liked to retrieve a ball. I have always been jealous of all those lab owners, so Esme was kind of a double bonus. Not too crazy about her name, but she knows it well so I think we will keep it. It was so hard to choose between all the dogs Carolina Boxer rescue has, but I am confident we found a special one. If anyone is ever looking for a pooch I strongly recommend this breed and this non-profit group. Again, thank you all for the the friendship over the years as a “Tar”& “Dawg”, but mostly this past month. I really enjoy this forum more than any other.

So happy you found another pretty pup to provide a loving home!

Nope, nope, nope, nope. Well, maybe later.

If you need something to make you smile after watching that video, the beforenafter subreddit is amazing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/beforenafteradoption

I genuinely don't cry much, if ever. And the dog videos don't usually get to me. Dogs are great, but they don't live that long, and that's life, you know? I'm 27 and I've had 3 dogs in my life so far.

But holy shit the Eric & Peety video is rough because it's also so damn uplifting. That's an emotional bond that literally saved a guy's life.

I mentioned the beforenafter reddit earlier, and this gallery was linked from one of the posts. Most people would have probably put this pup out of its misery, but this guy spent the time, effort, and money to save its life and the results are absolutely amazing and well worth it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kHJqC

does anyone have any experience with therapy dogs? I've been kicking around the idea in my head to either train my current lab (~7 yrs old) or next lab as a therapy dog.

does anyone have any experience with therapy dogs? I've been kicking around the idea in my head to either train my current lab (~7 yrs old) or next lab as a therapy dog.

I live next door to one. He's cool. Acts like a dog mostly.

I am training my cat to be a therapy cat. We take the test in 3 weeks.

I am training my cat to be a therapy cat. We take the test in 3 weeks.

cool! I just found a local organization that has once a month orientations. Can't go in April, but going to try in May.

For those in the triad, there is a pet store in clemmons and Greensboro called pet sense. They are fairly new and have a few locations throughout the state. Their dry dog food is buy 10 bags get 1 bag free. This even includes the higher price brands such as Blue. For the food we buy, it was even two dollars cheaper than petsmart.

I trained one to be a therapy dog eligible to go into hospitals and I don't know if I'd do it again. I enjoyed being able to go visit places and bring some happiness but the demands on the dog were very strict and I didn't agree with how they required me to train him. However, I would almost certainly do it for retirement homes & similar places since that doesn't have as stringent of demands. I should also say that each organization has different roles & requirements so check out what your potential organization requires.

If you do decide to do it, trying out your current dog would be fine but it's optimal to work with a younger dog so that they can get used to various things related to hospitals, schools, retirement homes, etc. during their developmental stage. That was a problem for my second dog who failed the training as he was scared of wheelchairs among other things.

My foster dog Joey, the black lab that I've had since September was adopted today! I will miss him but I am really happy for him and his new family. I am so glad he was not euthanized last Fall due to over crowding at animal control.

Womp womp. Tucker the wonder dog (our pup) had to go to the vet today because he has this open wound on his head that may/may not be a mast cell tumor. It started out as a scab, then kept getting bigger as he could scratch it off. Now it's just exposed skin, about the size of a dime, and pretty gross looking.

Vet took a culture this morning but can't tell if it's a simple bacterial infection/allergic reaction or a mast cell tumor. Apparently they can look very similar. So now we give him antibiotics for 2 week and hope it goes away. He's only 3 (maybe 4) years old! He seems way too young to have a tumor.

1st tick of the season was found this morning, so it looks like its time to start the flea/tick medicine again.

Do you apply it only during the warmer months or year round? I've heard arguments for both.

My foster dog Joey, the black lab that I've had since September was adopted today! I will miss him but I am really happy for him and his new family. I am so glad he was not euthanized last Fall due to over crowding at animal control.

Way cool Birdman!!! I think the foster families for these dogs need a huge shout out. People always say it is great that I only adopt rescue dogs, but you guys are the real heroes !!:thumbsup:

Back