• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Dang, Tardawg. Hate that it happened to y'all. Hope your kid holds up okay. Thoughts with yall.

Some may not agree with the timing, but it was a family decision. I just completed our application to Carolina Boxer Rescue. Wish us luck on approval, Bomber and Holly would hate to see our couch (and hearts) empty for long.
:couch:

Some may not agree with the timing, but it was a family decision. I just completed our application to Carolina Boxer Rescue. Wish us luck on approval, Bomber and Holly would hate to see our couch (and hearts) empty for long.
Forget the haters. Do whats best for you and your family. It's nobody's decision but yours.

When you're used to a having a dog, a dogless house is very sad. Agree with tsy, do what's best for your fam. Sorry for everything you guys have gone through!

I hate to hear you lost your pup, but you can give another one a great home. I hope he or she is helping you through this soon.

Best of luck! Like Avalon said, a dogless house is no fun. The few months we had after our last beagle passed away and the boxer/mutt we adopted were some of the worst. Super boring & depressing to go home to.

Why would someone disagree? I think it's absolutely the right call to get another dog!

Thanks for all the support on this board!!! I agree 100% our family’s choice but there are those that have chimed in that we should wait to mourn. Screw’em!! Family meeting tonight to submit our list of dogs to Carolina Boxer Rescue, once we receive our new family member I will certainly share a picture here. You guys are the best! Cheers!

Thanks for all the support on this board!!! I agree 100% our family’s choice but there are those that have chimed in that we should wait to mourn. Screw’em!! Family meeting tonight to submit our list of dogs to Carolina Boxer Rescue, once we receive our new family member I will certainly share a picture here. You guys are the best! Cheers!

Wait to mourn? The animal that personifies happiness would not like that plan. Go get another pup!

Anyone ever had a dog have elevated CK levels in their blood work? Our dog had his annual visit (4 years old) earlier this week and his was elevated. They are doing a test to see if it is a heart problem. Everything I google looks really ominous and bad, but the doc didn't seem overly worried when he left the vm. I have convinced myself he was just doing that to keep me from worrying before the results get back, but that it could be really bad.

Assuming its creatinine kinase, which is what ck's are in our cardiology world, there are many different causes, not all of which are the heart. We've seen elevated cks from things such as muscle strains. It happens whenever muscle cells rupture, which the heart is only one such muscle.

Assuming its creatinine kinase, which is what ck's are in our cardiology world, there are many different causes, not all of which are the heart. We've seen elevated cks from things such as muscle strains. It happens whenever muscle cells rupture, which the heart is only one such muscle.

Yeah ck is the same in the vet world. His was like 5x the normal level, which I have no idea how extreme that is. I know different enzymes and such can be back at 2x or not that bad until like 50x.

We used to base heart attacks on 3x the uln for cks, then troponins came along and are more of the standard for heart damage, mostly because of the huge variability in the cause of ck elevation.

Have you noticed any difference in your dogs demeanor? Hopefully its all just precautionary.

He seems to be acting okay, but of course as soon as he mentioned that I start thinking "well maybe he hasn't been acting okay." But that's just in my head.

His thyroid levels were also low (within the normal range, but the lowest "normal" value) and I have read that higher ck levels can be linked to hypothyroidism, so if anything I would hope its that over the heart because there are meds for it.

Back