• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

For Sherman's next trick, he destroyed the industrial strength hose, chewed up the Christmas lights, chewed extension cords for Christmas lights, chewed his feeding station stand thing.

Good thing we all love him.

Get him one of these. I promise you he will never tear it apart.

180181001017c.jpg

Ha. We've gotten everything we could think of. Kongs, ropes, tennis balls, bones, sparq balls, etc. He also tore apart a Nike football.

It's not that Sherman doesn destroy his toys, (which if he does we're fine with that) it's that he doesn't use his toys. He seems to enjoy important/needed things more than the things bought for him.

This is Louie. He is a double rescue. He was rescued, placed with a family, then returned to the rescue, then adopted by us... all by the time he was a few months old.
He has serious ADD.
dc50b.jpg

Last edited:
lax balls and pvc pipe are the only things not completely destroyed by my pups...they don't look like they did originally but do stand up pretty good. That kong stuff barely lasts an hour

lax balls and pvc pipe are the only things not completely destroyed by my pups...they don't look like they did originally but do stand up pretty good. That kong stuff barely lasts an hour

Have you tried the black kong? My lab mix is a hell of a chewer. They hold up pretty well with him. Agree about lax balls. My in-laws live across the street from the field where Florida Southern plays lax. We would take the dogs over there to play when down for Christmas. Deacon found about 5 lax balls.

A crappy iPhone pic I took of our Berner before we went snowshoeing last week. This is her "Why the fuck are you taking my picture?" face.

249845_4967992316007_284733835_n.jpg

Is there a trick to make him chew on his toys & not important stuff we actually need? That's the problem

Bitter Apple

My Weimaraner Haydn used to lick his paws and forelegs incessantly. It was like a neurological tic and he would invariably wake me up at 2 am with the horrible mouth noises he would make when licking his legs. I tried bitter apple on his feet to make him stop. He clearly HATED it, but the need to lick was just too much so he would lick anyway, while making horrible faces and dripping foamy drool from his mouth all over the floor.

Yikes, that doesnt sound fun. That said, the bitter apple worked for us w/ just a chewing issue (not a psych issue).

Our dogs love riding in my parents "buggy" which is a Kabota RTV. He also loves to eat grass in the afternoon and puke it back up. We were outside yesterday and I called them over to ride and he assumed his position. Back legs on the seat, front legs up on my leg so he can see out. We're riding along and out of nowhere, he pukes grass and bile all down my leg and steering wheel of the RTV. Like shoot out projectile vomiting, something I didnt know a dog could do. I can handle lots of gross things in life, but vomit is not one of them. I'm a sympathy puker, and the kid who would be fine but puke in school when someone else did. Thankfully I didnt this time, but I came oh so close.

My Weimaraner Haydn used to lick his paws and forelegs incessantly. It was like a neurological tic and he would invariably wake me up at 2 am with the horrible mouth noises he would make when licking his legs. I tried bitter apple on his feet to make him stop. He clearly HATED it, but the need to lick was just too much so he would lick anyway, while making horrible faces and dripping foamy drool from his mouth all over the floor.

LMAO

Sorry, but hilarious.

one of my coworkers had a similar problem :). he put his dog in the garage while they were at work each day. the dog started ripping entire strips of paint off of the walls. so my coworker read that you could put hot peppers in a spray bottle with water and that it would work like bitter apple is supposed to. he came home the next day, the dog had still chewed up the wall, but then she had thrown it all back up. so he cleaned up both paint AND vomit instead of just paint :)

That's interesting. Our vets have always said the licking of the feet and legs is a sign of allergies and to just give them benedryl, which worked. It is the first sign of allergy trouble since their legs and paws are often the ones coming in contact with grass, etc.

That's interesting. Our vets have always said the licking of the feet and legs is a sign of allergies and to just give them benedryl, which worked. It is the first sign of allergy trouble since their legs and paws are often the ones coming in contact with grass, etc.

Yes, and it is actually often a food allergy. In Haydn's case however, it never seemed to be anything other than neurosis. :)

Back