• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Doggie daycare posts pictures of dogs and I love seeing all the names. Flea, Moose, Chunk, Stove, Beans. I love dogs with very people-ish names too. You really can't go wrong.

BTW, I studied abroad in Australia, and the guys across the street had a dog named Dude, semi-mocking the American students. It cracked me up. "Dude. Dude, get over here. Duuuude."

I love all those names (esp Chunk). But I love people names for pets too. The various cats I had growing up were Pickles, Jack, Cleo, Puff, Cheeto, Norman, Coleman, and Pearl. Dog growing up was Lilli. Current pets are cat Riley (boy) and dog Lucy (girl, duh). I just love Jack and Norman and Coleman as pet names.

My buddy is leaning toward "barkley". None of the Wake names passed the wife test

Oh wait . . . I think I get it!

19.gif

jack just had blood in his pee :(

4:30 vet appointment (as they assured me if he's not visibly in pain it's not an emergency).
kind of freaking out; trying to maintain normalcy and downplaying it to Jason (who's not home right now)... but i'm freaking out. think good, normal treatable UTI vibes, everyone!

jack just had blood in his pee :(

4:30 vet appointment (as they assured me if he's not visibly in pain it's not an emergency).
kind of freaking out; trying to maintain normalcy and downplaying it to Jason (who's not home right now)... but i'm freaking out. think good, normal treatable UTI vibes, everyone!

Keep us posted, but that is often nothing crazy. One of my Weimaraners had blood in his urine once when he was about 8. They were never 100 percent sure what caused it either. It was all good in about a week and he lived to be about 12.

Good news! Just a UTI.

Even the vet was worried for us, though - apparently older male dogs are unlikely candidates for UTIs. I just hope the meds help him stop peeing in the house... (and get better, of course).

Good news! Just a UTI.

Even the vet was worried for us, though - apparently older male dogs are unlikely candidates for UTIs. I just hope the meds help him stop peeing in the house... (and get better, of course).

Excellent news!

My pup wiggled out of her harness today, for the second time in the last two weeks. I'm lucky that she doesn't want to run away, she just wants to go to the park and chase squirrels. The problem is that the park is across a street. When I realized she was loose I just froze there thinking pleasemakeitacrossthestreet pleasemakeitacrossthestreet pleasemakeitacrossthestreet. She did, and only chased a few squirrels before coming to me when I called. But man, so scary. Time for a new harness!

My pup wiggled out of her harness today, for the second time in the last two weeks. I'm lucky that she doesn't want to run away, she just wants to go to the park and chase squirrels. The problem is that the park is across a street. When I realized she was loose I just froze there thinking pleasemakeitacrossthestreet pleasemakeitacrossthestreet pleasemakeitacrossthestreet. She did, and only chased a few squirrels before coming to me when I called. But man, so scary. Time for a new harness!

What kind of harness do you use now? Any problems with pulling or anything?

What kind of harness do you use now? Any problems with pulling or anything?

I have a step in harness because I figured that would be easier for the dog walker, but the owner of her daycare suggested Easy Walk and... another kind that I can't remember now. She pulls when in the park if there are squirrels around. I'm open to suggestions!

I have a step in harness because I figured that would be easier for the dog walker, but the owner of her daycare suggested Easy Walk and... another kind that I can't remember now. She pulls when in the park if there are squirrels around. I'm open to suggestions!

Gentle Leader (the lead, not the harness)

I have this thing where, anytime I travel for business, I look up the top rated donut shop and bring my kids a dozen. So I was in Irving, Tx this week and muled a dozen delicious looking donuts from this place out there. Got home, dropped the donuts on the counter, went upstairs to unpack. Gone 5 minutes. Came back down and my dumb ass dog had jumped up on the counter and eaten the whole dozen. Chocolate, jelly, boston cream, etc. Dumb dog. Thing is, we keep food in that same spot all the time and she has never jumped up there. Must have smelled GOOD.

I had no idea this was a thing, I thought the dogs with them on were biters or something.

Gentle leaders are awesome in certain cases. My last Weimaraner made it a necessity. He was super friendly and loved everyone, but on a normal leash or harness he pulled like a mule and I could never correct it. Gentle leader solved it.

I had no idea this was a thing, I thought the dogs with them on were biters or something.

A lot of people have mistaken it for a muzzle, but in actuality the dog is not restricted from biting. Mine has eaten plenty of treats, picked stuff off the ground, whatever, while wearing the gentle leader. It works great - it is the only way we can comfortably walk our lab, though he's starting to mellow out in his middle age years and we don't use it as much as we used to. It also seems to have a calming effect on our boy, so we'll sometimes put it on him when we ride in the car to help him settle down, though YMMV in that regard.

Back