• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Political Compass

I own a small business now, and figured I would be getting all republican and shit now. Hasn't happened yet I guess

Based on your responses, YOU are a… Libertarian

Didn't expect that..

To the people who put together this test, libertarian must equal far right.

from the 'I side with'..

GOP 80%
Dems 77% (I had no fucking idea...)
Greens 60%
Libertarians 56%
Commies 41%

Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62

GOP helped me shift ideology because they started saying stupid shit and I would try to find objective facts about the situation. Most of the time I found what the Republican Party was putting out as a logical conclusion of "facts" weren't even based in actual facts. Basically I expanded my knowledge of topics and it led me to be more liberal.

A good example of the misinformation out there leading to a "logical conclusion" is health care. I see people say all the time "Why should Americans be subject to ObamaCare when Congress explicitly exempted themselves from it?"

This is just a lie. I don't know how it got started and after a lot of research still can't find it, other than a few Republicans said it and kept repeating it. Congress is required by the very statute to either obtain private health care or get their insurance on the ObamaCare marketplace as of 1/1/2014. Boehner and the majority of Republican Congressmen have in fact done this and are covered by D.C.'s ObamaCare marketplace, yet it hasn't prevented Republicans from continually stating that Congress is not subject to ObamaCare. Fox News repeats this lie almost every day they talk about it. Hell I bet a decent number of people on here who digest a lot of political information daily think that Congress is exempt. It's just not true yet continues to be repeated by the GOP.

After doing my own research and finding self-reported data on health care coverage, it was pretty easy to figure out that the GOP was lying. Before I looked it up I was like "yeah that is awful that Congress isn't covered!" so I would view the legislation with a more cynical and critical eye - thus more likely to identify with the Republican Party on the issue. Now...not so much.

That's just one example. The gun rights thing is another I've moved on. It's still baffling to me how increasing access to guns could possible decrease gun deaths. It's just a ridiculous argument.

I own a small business now, and figured I would be getting all republican and shit now. Hasn't happened yet I guess

Wait a couple years. You may become more conservative when it comes to business and money matters. Don't worry, it shouldn't affect your liberalism in social matters.

Wait a couple years. You may become more conservative when it comes to business and money matters. Don't worry, it shouldn't affect your liberalism in social matters.

Well i certainly have felt the sting of regulations and FICA and stuff like that, but it hasn't moved my political needle. That shit is necessary.

Local government/politics wrt zoning and permits are a bigger pain in my ass.

Well i certainly have felt the sting of regulations and FICA and stuff like that, but it hasn't moved my political needle. That shit is necessary.

Local government/politics wrt zoning and permits are a bigger pain in my ass.

No doubt!

And the other test had me pegged right around the center...both times that I took it. The country has moved left and will boomerang back eventually. That doesn't mean the political needle needs to be readjusted just so you can feel more centrist.

I seem to recall another test a few years back that had 4 quadrants and would place you on there. You could compare where other historical figures stood on those quadrants. That was one of the better ones. I seem to remember being right around the center, but to the right on that one as well.

nah, it most likely equals "somewhat modern social views with somewhat conservative economic views"

I've been called anything but far right in this thread, and Libertarian is where I scored. Pretty much anyone with half a brain and a pulse is scoring in the negative values for the social scale on the political compass test. That's why Wrangor's assertion that everyone is liberal and he's a centrist is absurd. The scale isn't based on U.S. politics. Registering a high positive score on the social scale would make him a fascist.

my buddy ELC is far, far right.....and proud of it...that's his choice.

Back