• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prediction Thread: UMBC @ Wake Forest - 8pm on ESPN3

Well we were really bad at defense last year. Materially worse than Bz's last two years.

Defense was terrible. Not sure why Van Horn played so much. Would like to see more effort. John Collins was a stud

It was the norm pretty much all of last year.

Looked a lot like last year defensively. Tough to watch. Hopefully CMM and Hudson will make a material difference when they return but the fundamentals just aren't there.

If you watch a game like this with your eye on the scoreboard, I'd say you're doing it wrong. There will be PLENTY of coaching points to be made in this game, regardless of the score.

I was really wrong, and really right. And really sad.

Wow, that was discouraging! The D was absolutely horrible...laughably bad.

The only positives were that we shot free throws better in the crunch and Collins. Why didn't he get more time?

I don't think CMM and Hudson can fix all that's wrong with this team. Maybe Rondale can.

I saw DT pass out to the perimeter at least two times instead of forcing it up. The Greek seems willing to mix it up inside. ole defense was a bit disturbing.

Our best player is Collins. Moore is a year away . How can Crawford shoot so well from the line ( great stroke ) and so ridiculously bad from the perimeter? Hope it was first game jitters .

Yeah, I think not mixing zone is pretty dumb. You need to have a zone in your pocket, especially for a thin team with injuries/suspensions. You can sneak more minutes out of your core players.

Last year Manning shrugged off obvious spots where we should be mixing zone with "I'm building a program and won't sacrifice that for results." But this year we should be trying for results. And getting as many wins early in the season as possible is important.

This is a good post. He really should have been focused on getting results last year as well.

Defense was terrible. Not sure why Van Horn played so much. Would like to see more effort. John Collins was a stud

VanHorn played because he is the next best guard, and somebody has to handle the ball. Crawford was out for an extended stretch getting his hand taped. That left Wilbekin and ????? as the guards. VanHorn got the nod. Collins is good, but still played like a freshman, including missing a dunk.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that was some of the worst guard play I've seen since Bz took over. Thank God the bigs (besides Moore) showed up, albeit against clearly a physically outmatched opponent.

Was looking at other scores around the nation... Hoping to get some comfort from others' struggles.

Other than the NCSU debacle, the only other embarrassing loss was Georgia to Chattanooga. So I guess that private scrimmage wasn't all that impressive after all.

Seriously was DM trying to send some sort of message to Collins or is he in bad shape? Notwithstanding some bad plays, he was a difference maker on both ends of the court. So why didn't he play more?

Was disappointed Wilbekin didn't assert himself more given our lack of guards and Crawford's struggles.

Back