• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President Biden mishandles classified documents

So the reason why Biden may not have done something wrong is because DJT definitely did and did it way worse?

It's a leap of faith that is harder to make with every new document found. It's a leap of faith to rush to give Biden a pass on this stuff which is absolutely how it was initially viewed. I think more people are starting to realize there is some "there, there."

I expected better of Biden.

No. It was wrong. No pass.

No one here really likes biden but you can't call the situation the same.

No. It was wrong. No pass.

No one here really likes biden but you can't call the situation the same.

Not calling it the same. I'm saying the kid glove treatment of it because Trump was worse is head in the sand type shit.

how are we not?

How are you feeling about your "it was just 6 documents" defense a week ago?

I'm asking how are we so sure he didn't benefit from this? Not how are we sure he isn't Trump level bad? It's a lazy reflexive defense that people turn to where everything is compared to DJT.

On its own merits this is an objectively bad thing.

I'm asking how are we so sure he didn't benefit from this? Not how are we sure he isn't Trump level bad? It's a lazy reflexive defense that people turn to where everything is compared to DJT.

About as flippantly as when i made it tbh. I'm sorry to disappoint.

Do you see how your line of questioning is an equally lazy reflexive defense? Especially when, as Barca points out, you're kind of ignoring the fact that the situations themselves remain qualitative (and quantitatively) quite different.

It's definitely a bad thing (!) and I hope that Joe decides not to run again as a result of this (though, tbf, I didn't want him to run again and wasn't planning on voting for him again anyway). Against your point, I don't see many people defending it.

So, basically unchanged.

I'm waiting to see what the National Archives says about these documents. They were not missing them. Why? Were they already de-classified, or relatively otherwise unimportant but everything gets classified? Or is the National Archives bad at record keeping?

LK, you seem desperate to both sides this issue so desperate that you’re ignoring the obvious differences and spinning it to look even worse than it is.

The first documents were found by Biden’s lawyers before handing it over to DOJ. They’re doing this by the book. Also we know it’s a few classified papers intermingled with regular papers.

You under fund government agencies for 40 years and they are bound to start fucking up at some point.

This. Dems need to introduce a bill to address this issue going forward.

Most of us barely have paper records anymore. Update how information is gathered, shared, and stored short and long term.

I wish Biden didn’t have them. I hope they were inadvertently taken. I take solace in that he is seemingly willing to turn any and all over.

Trump was clearly not willing to have people search his properties or turn over things when requested. He also now claims he didn’t have classified docs just classified folders he took because he thought they were cool.

I'm waiting to see what the National Archives says about these documents. They were not missing them. Why? Were they already de-classified, or relatively otherwise unimportant but everything gets classified? Or is the National Archives bad at record keeping?
Archives only knows about something if they’re told about or given it.

If someone generates a classified document and doesn’t report it to the archives, they can’t know it exists.

So does Archives get the actual classified files or just all known printouts?

I think they take control of the actual documents after they’ve been used and aren’t active anymore.

I mean, based on what we know about Joe Biden and Donald Trump we can make a pretty strong inference that one of them deserves the benefit of the doubt and the other one was probably trying to enrich himself. It doesn't mean we are saying "we are absolutely 100% sure that this is the case." It just means things don't happen in a vacuum. We should be using prior information to assess situations.

Maybe the lesson to learn here is to stop electing old as hell ghouls who can’t open a PDF to positions where they have access to this sort of information. Think about trying to get the password to your grandma’s wifi. That’s the generation we keep putting in charge.

Maybe the lesson to learn here is to stop electing old as hell ghouls who can’t open a PDF to positions where they have access to this sort of information. Think about trying to get the password to your grandma’s wifi. That’s the generation we keep putting in charge.

Pretty much. A few of us have been on this for years.

The net effect of the discovery of classified information in Biden's possession is to neutralize the issue of classified information in Trump's possession. The moral high ground and demand for action is lost. The only difference between the two is that Trump's papers had to be siezed by legal action as oppossed to Biden's surrender of the documents. The length of time Biden possessed his documents negates that difference. Both Trump and Biden were in the wrong possessing the documents. Time to move on unless the documents in their possession can be clearly linked to actions of a nefarious nature.

Back