• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President Hatch positives?

It's almost like BDer works for Hatch or something

I'm just enjoying the discourse. It's one thing that makes Wake great. While Hatch is my boss's boss's boss's boss I know that not everyone is perfect and acknowledge there have been errant decisions made by him, his direct reports, their direct reports, all the way down to me.

I would totally do admissions interviews here in the Portland area.

Don't seek feedback in a way that is shown to be ineffective expecting different results. Use the internet for feedback as students are always connected. If students can see each other's comments posted on something official the ideas and opinions would get out there. Hatch hears complaints, pretends to address them, and stays the course. When you don't listen to people, people stop wanting to talk to you. I attended a handful of events seeking feedback when I was at Wake, mainly campus plan stuff. The students who are close to the powers that be are too interested in networking to be critical.

Last edited:
Anyone with access to Dean Shore's photos should check out his ND Pep Rally album. Grobe's and Wellman's reactions while Hatch is apparently (from the sequencing) speaking are hilarious (the players' too).

368ef8c34516994e73b10f054cf66131.gif

They are investing resources in doing interviews (some of them over Skype) and wasting the time of their staff. This is what they should do instead:
2) Make interview "recommended" rather than required

It looks like they took your advice! Interviews are not required. Rapid response by President Hatch.

http://admissions.wfu.edu/visit/interviews.php

Because Wake Forest is a face-to-face academic community, we strongly encourage applicants to interview with us.

in light of a new coaching hire and over eight years time, bumping this thread to update the list of Hatch's positives

I'll admit that I haven't paid close attention to the academic and student life side of Wake since I left, so here is what I would say to a stranger who asked about Hatch's time at Wake:

- Grew enrollment by about 20%
- Oversaw decimation of the basketball program, but other sports were generally pretty good
- Embarked on massive Wake Will fundraising campaign -- unclear on success
- Academic reputation unchanged
- Heard of some interesting on-campus programming, but can't really name any off the top of my head
- Full-time MBA program ended
- Innovation Quarter

Outside of basketball, nothing terrible nor nothing remarkable

He has initiated a "Call To Conversation" (TM) to address the core issues of humanity and definitely not as a way to raise money. Also, the FACE 2 FACE (F2ꟻ) speaker series with people who have definitely not been involved in hundreds of thousands of deaths. I'm sure there will be some hard hitting questions raised and that it's not about money, either.

I don’t know that you can credit him with growing enrollment 20%. Pretty much any university that started targeting and recruiting international students in the last 10 years did that.

Yeah, but they have to have someplace to sleep. Wake forces you to live on campus.

Oh yes, the prostitution, I mean, er, "partnership" with some Koch funded institute, also about making the world a better place and not about money.

Innovation Quarter sounds like it has potential. Does anyone has actual insights on its progress/impact?

His leadership led to only one on-campus murder in the last few years, so he has that going for him. Plus, he made it a great place for wealthy kids to avoid mingling with the unwashed middle class.

I'll admit that I haven't paid close attention to the academic and student life side of Wake since I left, so here is what I would say to a stranger who asked about Hatch's time at Wake:

- Oversaw decimation of the basketball program, but other sports were generally pretty good
- Heard of some interesting on-campus programming, but can't really name any off the top of my head
- Innovation Quarter

No SAT (mixed)
Magnolia Scholars

- Innovation Quarter

Nathan Hatch has been the weakest President of Wake in my time. Thomas Hearn was by far the best and brought the most improvement to the university. The astronomically elevated tuition coupled with the unchanged standing of the university under Hatch is pretty telling. We have new buildings and mushrooming administration to show for it. Hatch is also reminiscent in appearance and style to Tribble, and that's not necessarily a plus.

Back