• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President Hatch positives?

As I read through this thread I laughed a lot because the complaints from current students are pretty much the same complaints as when I was a student at Wake (97-01) and the same complaints that students before me made.

As far as Hatch as University President, I have no serious complaints right now. I like his vision and think he has done a very good job of being responsive to alumni and communicating with alumni. I have e-mailed him a few times over the years about different issues to voice my opinion and even though I am not a large donor (I was only been able to make a few small donations while I was in the military) and am no more special than any other regular alum, he always responded personally to my e-mails and addressed my concerns.

I know students made a lot of complaints about Hearn being disassociated with students and there were lots of jokes about how he cared more about getting his new Lexus every 2 years then about student issues, etc. However, the few times I saw him around campus and approached him, he took the time to talk to me always seemed approachable. It is a lot like BDer has been saying that the administration seeks student input but the students rarely show up to give constructive input. This is not a Wake specific issue, either. I see it a lot now teaching for the military. Students complain to us a lot about issues but then when the military leadership gives them forums to provide feedback or ask questions they don't say anything.

I work in local government and it's the same way in the real world as in college. We have to make decisions based on what we believe is best for the community. Sometimes we make mistakes. When we have open forums for comment, very few show up. We survey citizens every year or so and have online comment boards. The City Manager will even return phone calls himself but no one participates except for a small, vocal portion of the city. I think it's just human nature to complain but not complain to the right people.

Recently the business school had a town hall meeting. They sent out multiple e-mails, including relating very clearly what the two main topics were to be (career services and grade deflation). I was unable to attend due to class, but I would have otherwise attended and my understanding is there was a pretty significant turnout. In short, students can/will turn out if the event is properly communicated.

The open forums WakeBDer is speaking about are never well advertised. I don't really remember hearing about any until the day of or until after the fact.

Recently the business school had a town hall meeting. They sent out multiple e-mails, including relating very clearly what the two main topics were to be (career services and grade deflation). I was unable to attend due to class, but I would have otherwise attended and my understanding is there was a pretty significant turnout. In short, students can/will turn out if the event is properly communicated.

The open forums WakeBDer is speaking about are never well advertised. I don't really remember hearing about any until the day of or until after the fact.

We had one of these in 2009 as well, I believe.

Without a doubt the two topics the students care the most about. Agreed that it's all about the marketing. If they actually want the students to come, it's very easy to make that happen.

One comment on this: I would expect the business school to be able to succinctly and accurately disseminate information. I'll also say that the topics were the driving force for attendance. Jobs and grades. The two things Wake Forest B-school kids are the most concerned about. They couldn't have picked two better topics to raise attendance. But you make a fantastic point, if it is marketed well and if the topic is top of mind and pressing, students will come.

I've attended forums on Dining Services and the University Stores. I understand that those aren't the most intriguing topics but there were only 2 students present at the forums. I believe they were advertised by email, flyer, Facebook, and OGB.

You're right in this instance because the topics were important. While I was at Wake there were numerous events for students to voice their opinions about other topics such as parking, social life, dining, and residence halls and students didn't turn out. They sure complained a lot later though when decisions were made they did not like. However, the decisions were based in part on the limited input that was received from the forums that students chose not to utilize. And the forums were clearly made known to students through OG&B, Wake Radio, flyers, and e-mail. However, many students have become desensitized to flyers, immediately delete e-mails without reading, and didn't pay attention to the OG&B or Wake Radio. Student apathy until after the fact is a problem. You may be the exception but I doubt the general consensus of the student body is.

One comment on this: I would expect the business school to be able to succinctly and accurately disseminate information. I'll also say that the topics were the driving force for attendance. Jobs and grades. The two things Wake Forest B-school kids are the most concerned about. They couldn't have picked two better topics to raise attendance. But you make a fantastic point, if it is marketed well and if the topic is top of mind and pressing, students will come.

I've attended forums on Dining Services and the University Stores. I understand that those aren't the most intriguing topics but there were only 2 students present at the forums. I believe they were advertised by email, flyer, Facebook, and OGB.

Yes, not freeing up time in my schedule for an open forum on University Stores. As for dining services, why bother? The root problem won't be fixed.

Yes, not freeing up time in my schedule for an open forum on University Stores. As for dining services, why bother? The root problem won't be fixed.

Sometimes it's not about the root problem.

I guess it's just different philosophies. I know that the forum won't be "Tell Us Why We Suck." But if the Forum is about "What new options would you like to see in the Pit" then I would like to be able to offer my thoughts. Additionally, I know that if I'm in the room I can share a few other topics that might be on my mind i.e. add more seating or extend your hours.

I feel like it's more about meeting them halfway. The best way to resolve conflict is not by avoiding it.

I haven't been to many other facilities, but find it interesting that you chose Elon Law as your comparison. The school that was started only 5 years ago. I'm not embarrassed or surprised that they have better facilities. They should at this point. Hopefully after the renovations, Wake will be comparable/better.

Have you spoken to Dean Morant about what's upsetting you? I've had a handful of conversations with him and he's always been very empathetic but straight-forward about the status of things at the Law School.

I know it's been said already but alumni with the stance of "I'm not giving money until something changes" just have no grasp on the realities of the process.

This.

I really liked Wake and enjoyed my experience there. I was more involved on campus and did more for the university than most students. I was involved with the administration, know their lies and the bureaucracy. I'm not bitter; I'm just a critic.

Ok, that's fine, be a critic. I'm plenty critical of a lot of things Hatch is done. But if you're going to be a critic, be a critic while donating money.

For everyone complaining on this thread... DONATE. Attach whatever stipulation you want to your donation. Call/e-mail/whatever and voice your concerns while giving a few bucks to Wake. I feel like it's kind of like the saying "if you don't vote, you can't complain." If you don't donate, don't complain when Wake doesn't have enough money to make all the things you want happen.

Also, get your wallets ready, Wake is gearing up for a massive capital campaign. They were supposed to announce it a few years back, but then then economy tanked so they've been doing most of the fundraising on the down low.

There were less than 50 students honestly. I'd guess about 30.

Renovation of Worrell after the b-school moves out is old news. Worrell is a dump, and we easily have the worst facilities out of any law school in North Carolina...quite embarrassing when Elon School of Law is in a nicer location. I'm just curious as to where they're going to get the $$$ for the renovation. Young alumni of the law school are not eager to give back since the law school admins shit all over the students, have terrible career service help, and then hit you up for money before you even finish your 3rd year.

Young alumni of the law school (5 or so years out or less) actually have pretty good giving rates, overall.

The capital campaign for the renovation of Worrell is going to be very aggressive, but do I think we are going to have to look to outside of the alumni base to get all of the funds we need (i.e., corporate, foundation, and matching donations).

There were less than 50 students honestly. I'd guess about 30.

I am a little surprised, but still not a bad turn out. For perspective, 6% of the entire student body would be 300 students.

Sometimes it's not about the root problem.

I guess it's just different philosophies. I know that the forum won't be "Tell Us Why We Suck." But if the Forum is about "What new options would you like to see in the Pit" then I would like to be able to offer my thoughts. Additionally, I know that if I'm in the room I can share a few other topics that might be on my mind i.e. add more seating or extend your hours.

I feel like it's more about meeting them halfway. The best way to resolve conflict is not by avoiding it.

This is why you are in HR. :D

I have deep disdain for Aramark and could not bring myself to kumbaya with them, even if doing so could be productive.

I have deep disdain for Aramark and could not bring myself to kumbaya with them, even if doing so could be productive.

My biggest issue with Aramark at Wake (as I railed against them several times when I wrote a column in the OGB) was the consistency.

I would go to other Aramark-catered schools to visit friends, and we'd have a lunch or dinner in their dining hall. It was actually well-prepared food. Go to Wake, and it was barely edible.

That led me to thinking it's not an Aramark-corporate problem, it was an issue on the local level. The fact that Aramark leadership seemed to turn a deaf ear to all concerns during the time didn't help the cause at all.

From what I understood, Aramark offers levels of service. Keep in mind that they also service hospitals and prisons.

It's likely that when you visited schools, those schools contracted with Aramark for a higher level of service.

From what I understood, Aramark offers levels of service. Keep in mind that they also service hospitals and prisons.

It's likely that when you visited schools, those schools contracted with Aramark for a higher level of service.

And congress too.

This is true. My brother goes to the University of Rochester and they were able to view a website that showed the level of food they were served. They were at the level just above Prison food. That made him really angry. It seems like everywhere I go everyone hates aramark. Everything that they touch they seem to ruin.

I don't know what level we are at but I bet it is somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
So, while High Point U seems to be trying to turn its campus into a damn Four Seasons, Wake students are paying $7.13-$8.75/meal for prison food*?

*Knowingly hyperbolic

Last edited:

And congress too.

And my office cafeteria. The food is generally pretty good... not great, but good.

Back