• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President Hatch positives?

I was '95-'99: I don't remember hating Hearn...I remember thinking Mike Ford was a douche, that the fitness center in the basement of Benson was brutal, and the Pit was pretty awful. Benson food court was good and Shorty's was fun at that time...draft beers on the meal plan....good times. Tribble Hall was a dump.

I also remember how pissed we all were when the gates were installed...but I think it was in response to a student rape by an off campus intruder so I guess that's just the way things had to go.

Ha I spent a lot of time in Tribble so I guess I just got used to it.
The first thing students got mad about in my tenure was of course the Plan for the Class of 2000 that hiked tuition and brought in thinkpads. The second big thing was probably when they installed card readers on dorms and put in gates. That was all in response to a series of serious crimes (two on campus kidnappings where students were followed home from bars, kidnapped and forced to ATMs) and chronic car break ins. I was never mad about the security stuff but some people were convinced they were living in a Baptist police state.

After that things settled down and it was mostly griping about aramark, benson, and the constant restrictions on the frat party scenes.

I only took one class in Kirby and I thought it was quite nice.

However, I wonder how the liberal arts seminars will be conducted with the proscenium, lecture-centric designs of the classrooms. Many of the rooms in Tribble underwent construction to remove the stadium platforms in order to facilitate discussion via roundtable chair arrangement.

Not really a big point, but it'd definitely change the academic environment of those classes. Discussions in stadium seating were pretty terrible compared to those in the Harry Potter Tribble room or the old courtroom in Carswell with the huge table.

Renovation of Worrell after the b-school moves out is old news. Worrell is a dump, and we easily have the worst facilities out of any law school in North Carolina...quite embarrassing when Elon School of Law is in a nicer location. I'm just curious as to where they're going to get the $$$ for the renovation. Young alumni of the law school are not eager to give back since the law school admins shit all over the students, have terrible career service help, and then hit you up for money before you even finish your 3rd year.

Renovation of Worrell after the b-school moves out is old news. Worrell is a dump, and we easily have the worst facilities out of any law school in North Carolina...quite embarrassing when Elon School of Law is in a nicer location. I'm just curious as to where they're going to get the $$$ for the renovation. Young alumni of the law school are not eager to give back since the law school admins shit all over the students, have terrible career service help, and then hit you up for money before you even finish your 3rd year.

They will get the money. It's too cheap to build right now to not make it possible to build now.

Plus, think of all the older law alum who give back a good amount of money to other areas. People like Porter Byrum love giving back (though I'd imagine he's given about all he has left).

You've never visited UNC or Central's law schools have you?

That actual facility was probably my biggest factor when choosing a law school once it got to a certain point. I was sick of spending all of my time in the shitty classrooms in Tribble.

Is Tribble still shitty? It was a fucking dump in the late 90's, so if they haven't done anything to it I have to think it looks like a bombed out building in 1980's Beirut.

I haven't been to many other facilities, but find it interesting that you chose Elon Law as your comparison. The school that was started only 5 years ago. I'm not embarrassed or surprised that they have better facilities. They should at this point. Hopefully after the renovations, Wake will be comparable/better.

Have you spoken to Dean Morant about what's upsetting you? I've had a handful of conversations with him and he's always been very empathetic but straight-forward about the status of things at the Law School.

I know it's been said already but alumni with the stance of "I'm not giving money until something changes" just have no grasp on the realities of the process.

You've never visited UNC or Central's law schools have you?

I've been to UNC...not Central.

I haven't been to many other facilities, but find it interesting that you chose Elon Law as your comparison. The school that was started only 5 years ago. I'm not embarrassed or surprised that they have better facilities. They should at this point. Hopefully after the renovations, Wake will be comparable/better.

Have you spoken to Dean Morant about what's upsetting you? I've had a handful of conversations with him and he's always been very empathetic but straight-forward about the status of things at the Law School.

I know it's been said already but alumni with the stance of "I'm not giving money until something changes" just have no grasp on the realities of the process.

It is embarrassing for a tier-4 law school to be able to rake in the cash to completely renovate a building in downtown Greensboro while Wake's top tier law school at Worrell goes untouched for two decades. I've visited a number of law schools (both new and more established) and in my opinion, Worrell is by far the worst facilities-wise.

Numerous students, including myself, have voiced concerns about this to the Dean of Students at the law school whose job is (presumably) to advocate for the students, among other things. Rather than respond to student feedback or offer any positive changes, they've continued to pile on negatives with the tagline that they're going to renovate in a few years after all the current students are gone. For a school that sells itself hard on a community oriented environment, the lack of transparency in their decision making processes is pretty sad.

This sentiment isn't isolated to just people that are there now, which is why people aren't eager to give money. Perhaps it doesn't make sense to you, but after paying almost $40k a year, having a fairly negative student experience, and then being thrown to the wolves to find a job, alums aren't eager to break out the check book.

And before all of you start sending me anonymous negrep, let me be clear...I am a proud Double Deacon and I love Wake Forest. I just wish that the administrations of both the undergraduate and law school would be more practical and take into account how their strategic plans affect the day to day student experience before they decide to implement big changes.

I've been to UNC...not Central.

It is embarrassing for a tier-4 law school to be able to rake in the cash to completely renovate a building in downtown Greensboro while Wake's top tier law school at Worrell goes untouched for two decades. I've visited a number of law schools (both new and more established) and in my opinion, Worrell is by far the worst facilities-wise.

Numerous students, including myself, have voiced concerns about this to the Dean of Students at the law school whose job is (presumably) to advocate for the students, among other things. Rather than respond to student feedback or offer any positive changes, they've continued to pile on negatives with the tagline that they're going to renovate in a few years after all the current students are gone. For a school that sells itself hard on a community oriented environment, the lack of transparency in their decision making processes is pretty sad.

This sentiment isn't isolated to just people that are there now, which is why people aren't eager to give money. Perhaps it doesn't make sense to you, but after paying almost $40k a year, having a fairly negative student experience, and then being thrown to the wolves to find a job, alums aren't eager to break out the check book.

I know it's frustrating when your first point of contact isn't very responsive. Have you spoken to Dean Morant?

Please understand that it makes sense to me when you have a negative experience that you don't want to give. What doesn't make sense to me is when you want things to improve but don't want to give.

And before all of you start sending me anonymous negrep, let me be clear...I am a proud Double Deacon and I love Wake Forest. I just wish that the administrations of both the undergraduate and law school would be more practical and take into account how their strategic plans affect the day to day student experience before they decide to implement big changes.

Practical how?

I mean don't get me wrong, I think Worrel is awful and needs help, but you think that UNC's is nicer? UNC's law school is an absolute dump.

Case in point
unc-law_classroom1.jpg

You understand that the Administration agrees with you right? Thus the renovation.

Why is Calloway/Kirby/Manchester Hall the only building on campus that requires keycard access?

I mean don't get me wrong, I think Worrel is awful and needs help, but you think that UNC's is nicer? UNC's law school is an absolute dump.

Case in point
unc-law_classroom1.jpg

The facilities at UNC were a dump when I graduated in 2000. They are really shitty now.

Practical how?

I mean things like:

Undergrad
- building more housing before you decide to implement a mandatory 3 year residency requirement
- building more housing, adding more dining space, adding more parking (or prohibiting freshman from bringing cars at all), adding more recreational space when you increase enrollment beyond capacity
- spend money on a new rec center and things that are truly necessary on campus rather than building the "barn" and buying up a lot of now unused property on deacon blvd. I know that this is a really long term development plan, but it seems impractical given the pressing needs that exist on campus.

Worrell
- coming up with a plan for the parking situation at Worrell when you take away a parking lot next to IS for faculty/staff, eliminate spaces because of the rerouted road, and add an entire new section of 1Ls because you "accidentally" let in too many students
- create some kind of decent dining option for people in Worrell when you eliminate the IS cafeteria
- create some kind of new dedicated study space for law students when you renovate the library to add staff offices on every floor, thereby eliminating a lot of student study space
- build new offices for professors, but refuse to make significant changes to areas used by students because "we're completely renovating in a few years"

etc, etc

I understand that changes have to be made in increments to further some type of long term plan. However, long term planning shouldn't mean that current students of the undergraduate and graduate schools have to have a lesser student experience for the sake of people who will attend Wake Forest in the future. Taking a minute to use some common sense and think about how new policies or construction may change the day to day life of students and perhaps soliciting student input on how to best deal with these changes would go a long way.

Some of the complaints about the administration are predicated on the idea that they could have predicted the financial crisis.

Back