• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President Hatch positives?

I will be curious to see how the "SAT-Optional" policy and other new admissions policies (such as a mandatory interview) play into Wake's selectivity. I was a bit skeptical of the SAT-Optional policy, but admissions seems to be trending towards that. Even among schools that "require" the SAT's, many times they are a smaller piece of the puzzle.

I just don't understand why Wake does not travel more (as far as their admissions people). They are investing resources in doing interviews (some of them over Skype) and wasting the time of their staff. This is what they should do instead:
1) Create "Admissions Fellows" jobs for senior students and train them to interview
2) Make interview "recommended" rather than required
3) Have admissions staff travel more extensively (especially outside the southeast)

After all, a selective, strong student body is going to produce more successful (ie: more wealth) alums.

There is an Alumni-in-Admissions network of people that attend college fairs and schools on behalf of Wake. I went to an admissions fair in Richmond about two years ago for inner city Richmond schools.

I have gone to some of those as well, but fairs are just not as effective. It is not like we are Devry University or something. Fairs just generate a lot of lukewarm interest. Wake should be doing high school visits to selective high school (both public and private schools), because they are going to have the better students.

The personal touch counts and I don't understand why it doesn't extend to the admissions process.

Yeah. I would love to do more with AIA stuff and would have no problem with going to a school to make a presentation.

I have gone to some of those as well, but fairs are just not as effective. It is not like we are Devry University or something. Fairs just generate a lot of lukewarm interest. Wake should be doing high school visits to selective high school (both public and private schools), because they are going to have the better students.

The personal touch counts and I don't understand why it doesn't extend to the admissions process.

Pretty sure that's what they do. I've done some AIA work in the past as well.

I work in admissions at another school of similar selectivity, I always look at the "college visits" calendar in the college counseling/guidance office and have yet to see WFU on there. Many high school (and some college fairs) don't allow alumni, only admissions representatives.

There is no travel schedule for Wake Forest on the admissions website, and as far I as I can tell (someone please correct me if this is wrong), the WFU admissions staff travels minimally.

Plus, from a student's standpoint, it is much more useful to meet with a rep than an alumni. An admissions counselor will be the primary advocate for your acceptance at an institution.

I work in admissions at another school of similar selectivity, I always look at the "college visits" calendar in the college counseling/guidance office and have yet to see WFU on there. Many high school (and some college fairs) don't allow alumni, only admissions representatives.

There is no travel schedule for Wake Forest on the admissions website, and as far I as I can tell (someone please correct me if this is wrong), the WFU admissions staff travels minimally.

Plus, from a student's standpoint, it is much more useful to meet with a rep than an alumni. An admissions counselor will be the primary advocate for your acceptance at an institution.

I have no frame of reference for what "minimal" is but my friend who works in admissions basically wasn't in Winston-Salem from August to November. He is a North Carolina native and so he was assigned NC, SC, VA, and TN I believe.

It's almost like BDer works for Hatch or something

Again, I have no idea what their schedule is. I do know I have had a few counselors (at elite boarding schools no less) complain to be that Wake Forest does not visit them and they cannot get them on the schedule. One of those schools was actually in TN.

To me, it just seems like a waste of resources to do over 10,000 interview a year.

Again, I have no idea what their schedule is. I do know I have had a few counselors (at elite boarding schools no less) complain to be that Wake Forest does not visit them and they cannot get them on the schedule. One of those schools was actually in TN.

To me, it just seems like a waste of resources to do over 10,000 interview a year.

welcome to the boards willmingtonwave

A Wake rep comes to my public high school in Maryland every single year.

A Wake rep comes to my public high school in Maryland every single year.

That is good to hear, I sure hope that is the case elsewhere. It is important to give WFU a more national reputation, and drawing nationally in terms of students will do that!

welcome to the boards willmingtonwave

I have too much time on my hands at work.

Bill Starling used to come to my high school every year. That was 25 years ago. This is not a new phenomenon. I realize that most of you have no idea who Bill Starling is.

I applied to Harvard and Georgetown for undergrad (obviously chose Wake). Both of those schools had required interviews that were done by alumni (over the phone for me back in 1999/2000). I think Wake could get a large number of alumni to participate in the required interview. I would volunteer for that.

Wake Forest Admissions and Welcome Center named for former director Bill Starling

By Sarah R. Smith
(336) 758-5237
October 29, 2001

Wake Forest University named its Admissions Building and Welcome Center in memory of William G. Starling, former dean of admissions and financial aid, at an Oct. 26 ceremony on the building's front lawn.

The university also unveiled a portrait of Starling at the ceremony, which will hang in William G. Starling Hall.

Starling, who died this year, joined the admissions office in 1958 and was among the longest serving directors of admissions in the country. More than 30,000 freshmen enrolled at Wake Forest during his tenure. Many of those met with him while visiting campus.

Starling Hall is on Wake Forest Road near the Reynolda Road entrance to campus.

why should high school kids have to talk to some dickbag alum with nothing better to do. no thanks.

Yeah, they can come to the boards and do that.

Back