• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prime Time and the Colorado Football Experiment

I have never cared to watch Colorado football but I will check them out now. What a great personality and someone who seems genuinely fun to be around.
Yep and they just went from roughly 2000 at last year’s spring game at Folsom Field to about 45,000 on Saturday. Now that is exciting for their program.

Coppom moved to Boulder in 1940 after growing up in Haxtun, Colo., a small town on the northeast plains of the state. Together with her twin sister Betty Hoover, who died in 2020, they gained local celebrity as the “CU Twins” who attended tons of Colorado sporting events and, as a point of pride, refused to ever leave early.

So with 80 years of Buffaloes fandom alongside her sister and late husband, who was an airline pilot, she had plenty of stories for Sanders. The coach passed on the cinnamon rolls but downed his Pepsi as predicted and began a love affair with the praline pecans she’d laid out.

“They were glazed or caramelized or something,” Sanders said. “I was just killing those things.”

After their meeting, Coppom sent Sanders a bag.

As their time together came to a close, Sanders grabbed her hand and gave her a hug.

“I thought he was going to lift me off the ground,” Coppom said.

But before he left, Sanders had a request. Would she be up for walking out on the field with him at the spring game in three months?

“I said, ‘OK. But I’m 98 years old. I’m not gonna run,’” Coppom said. “I said OK then and thought, ‘Oh, he’ll forget about this. He’s got 100 kids to take care of up there.’ But he didn’t forget about it.”

Anything but.
Sanders came and got her as the players began to come on the field for the opening kick, and cameras swarmed the duo. Sanders walked her from the 20-yard line to the 30, and Coppom got curious.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

He told her she was going to begin the game with the opening kickoff.

“I said, ‘What!?’” Coppom told The Athletic at her home after the game, where she also produced some of the famous pecans. “I prayed to Jesus, ‘Help me get through this. Help me get through this.’ My balance isn’t very good anymore. My eyes aren’t good anymore. Nothing’s good, except my mouth.”

Coppom picked up speed as she approached the ball and gripped Sanders’ arm to maintain her balance as she booted it in the air a few feet down the field to applause from the crowd.
Colorado drew attention this weekend with ESPN choosing to air the spring game, but when it began, viewers saw a 98-year-old superfan kicking off the Coach Prime era.

“There has never been this much excitement about any sport at CU like this,” Coppom said, adding she’s hopeful the Buffaloes can make a bowl game this year after going 1-11 last season. “I can’t believe one man has brought us all this attention.”

For a moment, Sanders made sure some of that attention was directed toward Colorado’s most loyal fan.

“She was thankful and appreciative,” Sanders said. “She really was. She’s hilarious. I mean, the little quick comments that she may have out there? Unbelievable. I’m pretty sure they caught it in my mic. But she’s fun, man. She’s good. I wish to God — I just want to make it that far and have the same smile and energy and love, just for life, as she does.”

Player who transferred to Colorado complains that a Colorado player has entered the transfer portal.

Former 3-star sophomore WR Chase Sowell also entering the portal. 2 catches last season.

Last edited:
Jr. 6'2" 185 lb from Cornelius, NC, former 3-star from Hough HS. Converted from CB to S. Played in all 24 games the past two seasons with 9 starts.

They were all afraid that the 98 year old was going to take their spot.

So some guys had the spring serving of Coach Prime and decided "No more for me. I'm out!"

I'm pretty sure Colorodo was over the scholarship limit so attrition was going to happen one way or the other. I'm also certain they didn't want to lose Montana and they didn't want to lose a 4-Star CB commit.

So some guys had the spring serving of Coach Prime and decided "No more for me. I'm out!"

Or Coach Prime had a spring serving of these guys and decided “No more for me. You’re out!”

these transfers seem weird, right?

Yes, the legacy good players transferring after the spring game seems weird. Especially when you consider Sanders was hired at the beginning of December.

Why? Monday after spring practice under a coach who said he would clean house.

Yeah, but he just lost his two best returning receivers, one of whom lit it up in the spring game.

Aren’t these basically from the same group of guys he came in talking about how much they sucked and should leave?
not really, these are the guys that were pretty good and i assume prime wanted to stick around

what if they saw all the press/exposure and figure that they have leverage for more NIL if they decide to stay? I doubt that is it but who knows these days? That's a big bet on oneself.

Back