• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prime Time and the Colorado Football Experiment

Sure, but some of the guys he's bringing in are from Jackson State, G5 schools, and guys who weren't playing at P5 schools. Almost all of them are 3-Star recruits. If his coaches can turn these guys into a winning P5 program, they probably could have improved some of the guys who just left.

18 more bailed on the Buffs yesterday, for a total over 40 since Deion arrived. Work to do in the portal to make sure he has enough to field a team next year, but shouldn't be a problem for any P5 to get decent players from either G5 or FCS. But I'd expect next year to be a rough one for CO, but can't be any worse than last year.

18 more bailed on the Buffs yesterday, for a total over 40 since Deion arrived. Work to do in the portal to make sure he has enough to field a team next year, but shouldn't be a problem for any P5 to get decent players from either G5 or FCS. But I'd expect next year to be a rough one for CO, but can't be any worse than last year.
I'll be curious to see how many of those 40 end up with a Power 5 team. 1-11 is tough to do. Prime said he wanted spots to bring guys in, now he needs to fill them.

I'd like to bet big money on this being an epic clusterfuck disaster, and that PHDeac will be willing to die on his shield defending it.

Big respect to both Prime and PH as this should be entertaining.

None of us have thought this much about Colorado football in 20 years. No reason to criticize him unless they finish 4-8 or worse. Hard to be worse than 1-11.

I'd like to bet big money on this being an epic clusterfuck disaster, and that PHDeac will be willing to die on his shield defending it.

Big respect to both Prime and PH as this should be entertaining.

I see this going one of two ways rather quickly. It's fairly obvious what PT is doing and it might just work.

On one hand...

He's the personality who has the national draw and is surrounding himself with average to really good coaches and will let them run the team while he loads the boat with talent.

On the other hand....

He gets in his own way, injects his personality too much into the program and the team drifts and ultimately collapses because he's bigger than the team.

I guess we'll know by November which way this goes. Again, I don't see much in between given his almost overshadowing presence. He might just pull it off. I certainly have no data to say he won't.

This is much more reminiscent of a reality TV show than a football program at the moment. Which I guess is fitting in some ways.

I would have no problem w players bailing on the worst P5 program that just went 1-11. Their program is more in the toilet than Wake basketball during Bz/Manning. Win 2 games next year and it’s an improvement. In todays college football environment and where the program is it was the right hire

The only reason people think this is an "experiment" and "crazy" is because of Deon's obvious (and well-deserved) swagger. He was 27-6 at Jackson State. He was the greatest recruiter in that school's history (and no, I do not need to look that up). Is it possible he does not succeed at CU? Sure, but that's true of 99% of FBS hires. Most of them all get fired. Jim Grobe was arguably the most successful football coach in Wake history when he was fired.

Deon is not going to fail because he looks different from other coaches (only 14 of 133 FBS coaches are black), dresses better than other coaches, is cooler than other coaches, nor because he had more MLB hits and NFL pics than other coaches. He may fail just because that is the nature of the business. But do I think this is a good hire? Absolutely. Again, 27-6 at JSU and clearly can recruit. Listen to him talk about his expectations for his program and you'll think you're listening to Dave Clawson.

Given where CU was at the end of last year, Deon's resume and recruiting ability made him an obvious choice, not an "experiment." The only thing that might be actually unusual if Deon succeeds, is that I am having a hard time thinking of too many great/HOF players that were also great coaches.

The only reason people think this is an "experiment" and "crazy" is because of Deon's obvious (and well-deserved) swagger. He was 27-6 at Jackson State. He was the greatest recruiter in that school's history (and no, I do not need to look that up). Is it possible he does not succeed at CU? Sure, but that's true of 99% of FBS hires. Most of them all get fired. Jim Grobe was arguably the most successful football coach in Wake history when he was fired.

Deon is not going to fail because he looks different from other coaches (only 14 of 133 FBS coaches are black), dresses better than other coaches, is cooler than other coaches, nor because he had more MLB hits and NFL pics than other coaches. He may fail just because that is the nature of the business. But do I think this is a good hire? Absolutely. Again, 27-6 at JSU and clearly can recruit. Listen to him talk about his expectations for his program and you'll think you're listening to Dave Clawson.

Given where CU was at the end of last year, Deon's resume and recruiting ability made him an obvious choice, not an "experiment." The only thing that might be actually unusual if Deon succeeds, is that I am having a hard time thinking of too many great/HOF players that were also great coaches.

I chose the word "experiment" because I think any reasonable person would recognize the approach he is taking is totally unorthodox to traditional coaching. It might just work. It might be a blueprint for future programs. I don't think anyone knows. But if you have watched the documentaries on YouTube (I have), this approach is quite unique. Hell, over HALF of his team has quit!!! Maybe for the good. Hence, this is an experiment and breaking new ground.

I chose the word "experiment" because I think any reasonable person would recognize the approach he is taking is totally unorthodox to traditional coaching. It might just work. It might be a blueprint for future programs. I don't think anyone knows. But if you have watched the documentaries on YouTube (I have), this approach is quite unique. Hell, over HALF of his team has quit!!! Maybe for the good. Hence, this is an experiment and breaking new ground.
What is so unorthodoxed though? Didn’t Bear Bryant do the same thing in terms of running off a ton of players?

Deon is unusual relative to his peers in non-football ways. Like all coaches, he brings in the best players he can get while nudging others out the door.

What is so unorthodoxed though? Didn’t Bear Bryant do the same thing in terms of running off a ton of players?

Deon is unusual relative to his peers in non-football ways. Like all coaches, he brings in the best players he can get while nudging others out the door.

I just thought it was an interesting story. As I stated, I'm a life-long Braves fan and loved Deion. It's not some referendum on race. Drink some decaf.

Last edited:
If he goes 1-11 then it will be a fascinating 1-11 unlike most teams that nobody has on their radar when they go 1-11.

I don’t think he is that much different than most college head coaches. He’s a CEO head Coach. Like Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, etc. he’s just doing it in an era where we have more acces to seeing it, and he uses that to his advantage.

Back