• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Nice. My son plays u-11 in Raleigh and somehow is coached by a dude with a National B. He is awesome and I never want to change teams.

C is UUUUGE at this level, too. That is a big time commitment.

I'll download what I need to get my F today. :)

But people seem to be saying the hypothetical poor Latino kid who gets good by playing with his friends and at his poor rural school would be better off going to Europe than getting into the US system.

European players are by-and-large better than American players. Playing against better players helps any individual get better. Our TOP TOP players, regardless of ethnicity, would do themselves a favor by moving overseas to train more with better players. Those below that TOP TOP level would do well play training/playing against those that are just as good and/or better than them here in the US.

This cannot be a hard concept to follow.

Nice. My son plays u-11 in Raleigh and somehow is coached by a dude with a National B. He is awesome and I never want to change teams.

C is UUUUGE at this level, too. That is a big time commitment.

I'll download what I need to get my F today. :)

F is easy. E is a weekend. D is two weekends and harder. C is going to be a whirlwind.

National B is awesome. Couple coaches at Twins have A's and I just soaked up everything I could learn from them at every opportunity.

F is easy. E is a weekend. D is two weekends and harder. C is going to be a whirlwind.

National B is awesome. Couple coaches at Twins have A's and I just soaked up everything I could learn from them at every opportunity.

Couple of things:

1) I think one of the biggest downsides to the pay-for-play model we have now is that it dilutes development. At least with our local club, the quality coaches are pushed to carry too many teams at the academy/junior academy levels - those younger players get short changed b/c the coaches can really focus on them all in the name of getting more kids (and $) into the pipeline.

2) We really lucked out with my sons. Their coach is a guy who played professionally in Germany and coached the High Level HS academy teams until he got sick of the politics and BS surrounding all of it an quit (again, because it was all about $). We lucked out that our oldest and his oldest are the same age and he started coaching their rec team when the boys were 6. We wouldn't/couldn't pay for travel soccer teams, but lucked into academy level coaching at rec team prices. The guys have had the same nucleus for 5 years and we go to local tournaments (W-S, GSO, Raleigh) and beat the B level academy teams pretty regularly. Much better than when we were at the Y at age 5 and I got roped into coaching because the team didn't have one (and at that time, I knew absolutely nothing about soccer).

Watching the U-17s play pretty miserably against Columbia (who clearly looked desperate to advance vs US knowing they were through) made me think that I don't know that I see the next WC cycle being any less bumpy than this time around.

The U-23s failed (again) to make the Olympics. The U-20s didn't exactly light the world on fire their last WC. The U-17s have a few nice players but.... I just don't see the cavalry coming on the immediate horizon to fill a lot of glaring holes in our roster, especially from a depth standpoint. Certainly in a couple years you could have guys like McKennie, Gaines, Gooch, Hyndman, CCV making the jump. Maybe some of the U-17s really come along in the early years of their pro careers: Sargent, Gloster, Durkin, Akinola, Carelton, Sands are all making an impact with pro teams (except Sargent, who is about to go to Germany).

I think there's so many question marks of guys that aren't just coming in to provide depth, but guys that have to be quality contributors to get us there. Here's my list of regulars in the current US roster you might actually want back that aren't over 30 when we would likely play our first meaningful WC qualifying match in two years (off the top of my head, don't shoot me if I miss someone obvious):

Pulisic
Acosta
Yedlin
Wood
Arriola
Morris
Nagbe

Last edited:
Watching the U-17s play pretty miserably against Columbia (who clearly looked desperate to advance vs US knowing they were through) made me think that I don't know that I see the next WC cycle being any less bumpy than this time around.

The U-23s failed (again) to make the Olympics. The U-20s didn't exactly light the world on fire their last WC. The U-17s have a few nice players but.... I just don't see the cavalry coming on the immediate horizon to fill a lot of glaring holes in our roster, especially from a depth standpoint. Certainly in a couple years you could have guys like McKennie, Gaines, Gooch, Hyndman, CCV making the jump. Maybe some of the U-17s really come along in the early years of their pro careers: Sargent, Gloster, Durkin, Akinola, Carelton, Sands are all making an impact with pro teams (except Sargent, who is about to go to Germany).

I think there's so many question marks of guys that aren't just coming in to provide depth, but guys that have to be quality contributors to get us there. Here's my list of regulars in the current US roster you might actually want back that aren't over 30 when we would likely play our first meaningful WC qualifying match in two years (off the top of my head, don't shoot me if I miss someone obvious):

Pulisic
Acosta
Yedlin
Wood
Arriola
Morris
Nagbe

Brooks?

Wondolowski?

Beasley is starting to look and talk like the dude in Interstellar that was left on the ship during the trip to the wave planet but he'll still be in our rotation next cycle

Alexi needs to come out of the studio and show these people how to do all the things he's constantly talking about.

Alexi, Twellman, etc are great at being critical, but really have no answers from what I've seen in the past 8 years.

Wood, Sargent, Pulisic, Acosta x 2, McKennie, Yedlin, Miazzga, Brooks, CCV, Horvath, Carleton, Klinsmann, EPB, Vincent, Lindsey, Gooch, SERVANIA.

Just seeing CCV in writing makes me so angry at JK for not cap-tying him at Costa Rica.

Ship him to Newcastle. Yedlin has become a much better player under Rafa.
But he is still not good enough to be a player in danger of being poached by anyone else (theoretically, as he's not eligible for anyone else).

CCV might end up being Newcastle level if he's lucky, but that's nonthreatening to the USA in terms of him being called up by England.

If you're a defender and Pochettino decides you aren't making it, you probably just aren't good enough. The guy made Dejan Lovren super rich, and Lovren is traaaaaaaaash. His track record with defenders is untouchable.

Back