• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Isn't he playing well for Sheffield Utd this season? You would know best, of course, Vad

Do you all trust US Soccer to make a good hire? What is the timeline now that WC qualification is over and there's no WC on the horizon?

I'd like to see Bob Bradley interim until the USSF election in February, assuming Sunil doesn't resign. Then I'd still probably want to see that anyways. New president needs to get his man in there and be held accountable as an NFL GM would. No 4 year cushion just because he didn't make the hire 3 months prior.

Isn't he playing well for Sheffield Utd this season? You would know best, of course, Vad
He's playing ok for them, but Pochettino never loans out his best prospects and just bought 2 young center backs. The writing is basically on the wall, he doesn't think CCV is going to be good enough to to play for Spurs.

And thus it's unlikely that CCV is good enough to that the USA has to worry about him being cap tied or not. Maybe he becomes Geoff Cameron level (which would be good for us) but I don't think it's a threat that England try to call him up.

I'd like to see Bob Bradley interim until the USSF election in February, assuming Sunil doesn't resign. Then I'd still probably want to see that anyways. New president needs to get his man in there and be held accountable as an NFL GM would. No 4 year cushion just because he didn't make the hire 3 months prior.

RoboBob is coaching the new LA team

Let Ramos run it through the end of the year and then hire Bielsa to start the next cycle.

Spotted on SBI. Is this the new US kit?

Fayettenam said:
Does the team just wear them at home while watching the World Cup?

I blame myself.

So, I'm sure Nike has these already ready to sell the day after qualifications. Are they going to just drop them online one day for like $5 or save them for a few years?

RoboBob is coaching the new LA team

Let Ramos run it through the end of the year and then hire Bielsa to start the next cycle.

Which means he could fill in until February when the new man steps in, no? I think all we're talking about here is two friendlies in Nov and camp cupcake

Which means he could fill in until February when the new man steps in, no? I think all we're talking about here is two friendlies in Nov and camp cupcake

We can loan ourselves out to help other, good teams prepare for the WC. So that's nice.

Gulati says he will not resign, won't say if he'll stand for re-election later this year

Yeah, hopefully he can find time for a Dempsey and Howard testimonial.

Outside of that all I wanna see is utes.

Nats Abroad @NatsAbroad
·
15h
“We see kids that only want to play in MLS, and hope to get a coach that prefers MLS players. That’s not right. That’s not good for soccer."

Geez. I wonder how much American exceptionalism plays into the bias toward MLS.

Can we just hire Tata to coach and replace Gulati with Klinsmann? Klinsmann had the right mindset for structurally overhauling American soccer, but didn't get the buy in. Keep in mind, he's a large reason why Germany is still so successful. Klinsmann influenced revamping the Germany youth development that now provides the national team with a pipeline of talent.

Uh, no thanks. Maybe Klinsmann had some good ideas. His kid might be a good keeper for us. That's enough for me.

He thought we'd make the WC semis next year. He thought switching to a formation we'd never practiced, without telling anyone, is a good idea. Helluva player, decent coach, nowhere near what I want to see in a president for US Soccer.

You're referring to what Klinsmann did as a coach. I think he's an average coach at best. He balked at the job when Bradley took it because USSF wouldn't give up enough control, namely Klinsmann wanted to fix a bunch of stuff with our youth programs. Then, as coach, his biggest pushes were to get the USSF to change its mold from a US-exceptionalism concept to one that mirrors more of what Europe does. More specifically, he wanted to change USSF to reflect the same structure he installed in Germany during his time as coach there. Those changes to the youth program still yield dividends today because it was a 10-year plan to get Germany back to the very top. I think with him as the USSF president he'd push to get MLS on the normal club schedule, encourage good players to go to Europe rather than the MLS, and overhaul the pay-to-play youth scheme. He probably won't eliminate the latter, but he'd change the mold more so it focuses more on quality than quantity. The current youth scheme certainly doesn't work well.

Klinsmann has good ideas and always pushed our guys to play overseas which most everyone on here agrees with. He just didn't have game day knowledge and was more theoretical than practical. He'd be a good fit to lead the program. Find a coach who understands tactics and strategy. Bring in someone not affiliated with the US/MLS at all. This idea no foreigner can understand the "American Player" is hilarious.

Back