• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

dv7
SD3
gsterp
timdunk
Husky
JW
BTB
Brasky
Justice
wsc8521s
WFU03

Last edited:
For years now, American soccer fans have enjoyed the luxury of watching matches from around the world on numerous different channels and video platforms. Almost everything is available.

But just when you thought something as vital as a World Cup qualifier would be available in most households, along comes word that the 2014 qualifier between the United States and Guatemala on June 12 might appear on closed-circuit TV only.

The Guatemalan federation has sold the rights to MediaPro, an independent company that, during the previous World Cup cycle, arranged for a U.S.-Honduras qualifier to be shown exclusively on closed-circuit TV in restaurants, bars and public gathering places. Fans had to pay a cover charge of at least $15.

It is unclear what MediaPro will do with the rights this time.

“We’re now in discussions with the company to see what can be done, but we’re unsure what the TV availability will be,” USSF spokesman Neil Buethe said.

There is the possibility ESPN or the USSF could purchase the rights from MediaPro, but the expense involved, on top of production costs, could put it out of reach.

The arrangement could sour the relationship between the USSF and the Guatemalan federation, possibly resulting in no standard TV in Guatemala for the second qualifier between the teams in October in the United States.

Meantime, some seats for the USA vs. Brazil friendly May 30 at FedEx Field are now available at half-price on LivingSocial — a sign that sales have not met expectations set by the Washington Redskins, who are hosting the match. About 45,000 tickets have been sold in a stadium that holds about 80,000.

45,000 for Brazil? Weak.

And I'm pretty sure I found a stream last time there was a closed circuit match in Guatemala. There was also a sketchy latin american club outside of Boston that put it on, but I'm not sure what the turn out was like.

I'm in for the Brazil game, paid $85 for lower bowl standing section (section 109, corner end) through the American Outlaws

I'm interested. What type of scoring system do you have in mind?

It's going to be loosely based off normal fantasy footy rules but it will be a live draft. No restrictions on # of players from a certain country. A supplemental draft after the group stages to fill in roster spots emptied out by players on countries knocked out. The player with the lowest point total goes first thru the supplemental snake draft.

Only one player each match will get bonus points and that will be whoever UEFA declares the MOTM on their website.

I'll do a more detailed post next week as squad's start to be announced.

Brazil's 23-man roster for their friendly against us:
GOALKEEPERS:
Jefferson (Botafogo), Neto (Fiorentina), Rafael (Santos)

DEFENDERS: Dani Alves (Barcelona), Danilo (Porto), Juan (Inter Milan), David Luiz (Chelsea), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Alex Sandro (Porto), Thiago Silva (AC Milan), Bruno Uvini (Tottenham)

MIDFIELDERS: Casemiro (Sao Paulo), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Giuliano (Dnipro), Lucas (Sao Paulo), Wellington Nem (Fluminense), Oscar (Internacional), Romulo (Vasco de Gama), Sandro (Tottenham)

FORWARDS: Leandro Damiao (Internacional), Hulk (Porto), Neymar (Santos), Alexandre Pato (AC Milan)

Back