• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I gotta say I respect Jurgen, as much as I hate the Donovan stuff. We need coaches who think this way.

“This always happens in America,” Klinsmann told me, waving his hands in the air. “Kobe Bryant, for example — why does he get a two-year contract extension for $50 million? Because of what he is going to do in the next two years for the Lakers? Of course not. Of course not. He gets it because of what he has done before. It makes no sense. Why do you pay for what has already happened?”

Klinsmann then turned to Donovan.

“He came back, and he was playing in M.L.S., and people say, ‘Oh, he’s playing well,’ but what does that really mean?” Klinsmann said. “This is where M.L.S. hurts him. He was playing at 70 percent, 80 percent, and he was still dominant. That doesn’t help anyone.”

Klinsmann shook his head. “I watched the games. What was I supposed to say? That he was good? He was not good. Not then. No way. So he had to wait.”

I gotta say I respect Jurgen, as much as I hate the Donovan stuff. We need coaches who think this way.

So by his own logic, since he is on record saying we're not going to win, he shouldn't be paid the 10x the salary that our other coaches received, right?

I don't have any problem with Jurgen challenging US players to leave their comfort zones, to hold players to the highest standards, to push them however he thinks necessary, etc., I just don't think there is any objective basis for choosing Green or Davis over Donovan. Since we're headed to the actual world cup next week, it seems to me that his analysis should be about taking our best team to Brazil and for the life of me, I don't see how he's done that.

What's the freshest USA gear we should be representing this WC?

thumb.aspx

So I've arrived in Porto Alegre today and did a little site inspection. In my expert opinion, it's pretty shitty. There's still a ton of work to be done and the non stop rain in the past 24 hours hasn't helped a bit. I'd be pretty disappointed if my team was playing here to be honest. Not a lot to look at and pretty remote.

Fortunately the stadium itself and the main road leading to the stadium appear to be ready, which is all that really matters I suppose.

P1010139.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010145.jpg

P1010146.jpg

And take that English speaking fans, it is called soccer!

P1010152.jpg

Though in fairness it is nicer than their backup plan across the street.

P1010153.jpg

At least there's a nice workout space constructed by Gatorade.

P1010154.jpg

That workout space may not be in great shape, but it does have a pretty view of the water. Thanks for posting.

I'm surprised everyone likes Klinsmann so much on here. Every time he speaks he pisses me off

Like if you're not trying to win then don't bother showing up. If someone that knows more about soccer than I do wants to enlighten me that's fine

believe that was just a short term answer.

am waiting to see how the team does in the Cup. disagreed with Landon not being on the squad.

he has found guys like Zusi who seems to be a nice player. don't watch/follow EPL.

what has been done in the past hasn't really gone so well. see what occurs this yr and in the yrs ahead.

Back