• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney Picks Paul Ryan as VP

Seems like Paul Ryan is just another one of those "do as I say, not as I do" anti-government, anti-spending Republicans:

http://news.yahoo.com/where-romney-ryan-bounce-polls-weak-report-130330291.html

While Romney and Ryan champion the private sector over government, the Ryan family business, which goes back generations, has been built to a large extent on government contracts.

“A current search of Defense Department contracts suggests that ‘Ryan Incorporated Central’ has had at least 22 defense contracts with the federal government since 1996, including one from 1996 worth $5.6 million,” Salon reports. “What’s funny is that Mr. Anti-Spending secured millions in earmarks for his home state of Wisconsin, including, among other things, $3.3 million for highway projects. And Ryan voted to preserve $40 billion in special subsidies for big oil, an industry in which, it so happens, Ryan and his wife hold ownership stakes.”

wow. I guess WE built that for the Ryans.

What he's saying is "why is it "impressive" that Ryan went out with a black girl? It would be impressive if that black girl was Halle Barry or Gabrielle Union, but why is it "impressive" just because she is black?

What he's saying is "why is it "impressive" that Ryan went out with a black girl? It would be impressive if that black girl was Halle Barry or Gabrielle Union, but why is it "impressive" just because she is black?

Hell yes its impressive, I've seen some big time slayers here in Atlanta get flat out reeeejected by them.

"According to the new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 22 percent of registered voters say Mitt Romney's selection of Paul Ryan to be his running mate makes them more likely to vote for the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

That's compared with 23 percent who say the Ryan pick makes them less likely to vote for Romney, and 54 percent who say the new running mate doesn’t affect their vote either way.

These numbers suggest the Ryan pick has had less of an impact on voters than previous running mates have had.
In 2008, 24 percent in the NBC/WSJ poll said Joe Biden made them more likely to vote for Barack Obama, versus 16 percent who said he made them less likely to vote for the Democratic ticket.

The margins for Sarah Palin in 2008 (34 percent more likely vs. 25 percent less likely), John Edwards in 2004 (28 percent vs. 7 percent), and Joe Lieberman in 2000 (20 percent vs. 7 percent) were also bigger than Ryan's.

The closest Ryan’s margin comes to is Dick Cheney’s in 2000 (16 percent more likely vs. 14 percent less likely).
In the poll’s feeling thermometer, moreover, Ryan’s favorable/unfavorable score stands at 33 percent/32 percent.

Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who co-conducted this survey with GOP pollster Bill McInturff, attributes Ryan’s mixed numbers to today’s increasingly partisan divide, with Republicans backing him, Democrats opposing him and independents fairly divided.

The full NBC/WSJ poll -- which was conducted Aug. 16-20 of 1,000 registered voters (300 reached by cell phone) -- will be released at 6:30 pm ET."

Because Ryan went to Miami. There are no black folks at Miami

"According to the new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 22 percent of registered voters say Mitt Romney's selection of Paul Ryan to be his running mate makes them more likely to vote for the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

That's compared with 23 percent who say the Ryan pick makes them less likely to vote for Romney, and 54 percent who say the new running mate doesn’t affect their vote either way.

These numbers suggest the Ryan pick has had less of an impact on voters than previous running mates have had.
In 2008, 24 percent in the NBC/WSJ poll said Joe Biden made them more likely to vote for Barack Obama, versus 16 percent who said he made them less likely to vote for the Democratic ticket.

The margins for Sarah Palin in 2008 (34 percent more likely vs. 25 percent less likely), John Edwards in 2004 (28 percent vs. 7 percent), and Joe Lieberman in 2000 (20 percent vs. 7 percent) were also bigger than Ryan's.

The closest Ryan’s margin comes to is Dick Cheney’s in 2000 (16 percent more likely vs. 14 percent less likely).
In the poll’s feeling thermometer, moreover, Ryan’s favorable/unfavorable score stands at 33 percent/32 percent.

Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who co-conducted this survey with GOP pollster Bill McInturff, attributes Ryan’s mixed numbers to today’s increasingly partisan divide, with Republicans backing him, Democrats opposing him and independents fairly divided.

The full NBC/WSJ poll -- which was conducted Aug. 16-20 of 1,000 registered voters (300 reached by cell phone) -- will be released at 6:30 pm ET."

The Ryan pick has made roughly 2% in national polls. I can get into details if you want. In this election, as the last paragraph indicates, there wasn't going to be a 5-10% change because there simply aren't that many undecided voters this year. The Ryan pick is a game changer nonetheless because of many reasons: 1) changed the Midwest electoral landscape; 2) demonstrates that Romney is serious about the annual deficits, national debt, and growing the economy, in other words, nationalized the key points of the election instead of battling state to state; 3) excited an already enthusiastic base. I could go on. I will give you one example. A surgeon friend was arguing with another surgeon in the OR a couple weeks ago. My friend obviously very anti-Obamacare and anti-Obama. The other surgeon as liberal as you can be. After the Ryan pick, the liberal surgeon saw my friend and said "Game changer. I like Paul Ryan and am voting for Romney." Straight up, Ryan is having this effect. And, it's not a flash in the pan, it's better described as steady momentum which keeps growing. Romney/Ryan 53.5 to Obama/Biden 46.5.

There's only one problem with NC's post. No polls show Romney positive momentum. No polls show the Ryan pick to have as much impact on the race as any other VP pick in the past decade.

There's only one problem with NC's post. No polls show Romney positive momentum. No polls show the Ryan pick to have as much impact on the race as any other VP pick in the past decade.

According to Fox News, the Ryan pick has boosted the polls by a whopping 1%!

The other surgeon as liberal as you can be. After the Ryan pick, the liberal surgeon saw my friend and said "Game changer. I like Paul Ryan and am voting for Romney." .

I call bullshit. There is no "liberal as you can be" in this world that would switch to Romney because of Ryan. Just shut the fuck up.

I try to make it a policy not to make statements I can't back up. Here are some post-Ryan polls compared to the pollsters own earlier polls pre-Ryan polling. You can see the movement, and by comparing this way you are comparing apples to apples because each pollster's methodology is slightly different.

1) Associated Press/GfK 8/16-8/20 O 47 R 46 O +1
6/14-6/18 O 47 R 44 O +3

2) NBC News/Wall St Jrnl 8/16-8/20 O 48 R 44 O +4
7/18-7/22 O 49 R 43 O +6

3) Rasmussen Tracking 8/19-8/21 O 44 R 46 R +2 (I couldn't pull the prior report from a week earlier but if memory serves correct it was tied or Obama by 1.)

4) Gallup Tracking 8/15 O 45 R 47 R +2
8/6 O 46 R 46 Even

There's a few.

I call bullshit. There is no "liberal as you can be" in this world that would switch to Romney because of Ryan. Just shut the fuck up.

Don't really think the last sentence was necessary, but such is free speech. Last I checked we are all entitled to our opinions, and the story was true. Would prefer discussion and even arguing without the rest of your post, but that's your choice. And no, I have no intention of shutting up. Romney 53, Obama 47; or Romney 53.5 Obama 46.5. That's been my prediction since the spring.

There is no way it is 6 points unless the world falls apart between now and November.

I have gotten to the opinion that whoever wins, it will be 53-47 or higher. I just think it's going to break at the very end toward the eventual winner and the margin will not be as close as we think now. It's happened before that way, so just have to wait and see.

Don't really think the last sentence was necessary, but such is free speech. Last I checked we are all entitled to our opinions, and the story was true. Would prefer discussion and even arguing without the rest of your post, but that's your choice. And no, I have no intention of shutting up. Romney 53, Obama 47; or Romney 53.5 Obama 46.5. That's been my prediction since the spring.

No. The story is not true. The guy either was not "as liberal as you can be" or he did not say what you claim he said to your surgeon friend. Either way, the story is not true. And the last sentence was absolutely necessary.

The Ryan pick has made roughly 2% in national polls. I can get into details if you want. In this election, as the last paragraph indicates, there wasn't going to be a 5-10% change because there simply aren't that many undecided voters this year. The Ryan pick is a game changer nonetheless because of many reasons: 1) changed the Midwest electoral landscape; 2) demonstrates that Romney is serious about the annual deficits, national debt, and growing the economy, in other words, nationalized the key points of the election instead of battling state to state; 3) excited an already enthusiastic base. I could go on. I will give you one example. A surgeon friend was arguing with another surgeon in the OR a couple weeks ago. My friend obviously very anti-Obamacare and anti-Obama. The other surgeon as liberal as you can be. After the Ryan pick, the liberal surgeon saw my friend and said "Game changer. I like Paul Ryan and am voting for Romney." Straight up, Ryan is having this effect. And, it's not a flash in the pan, it's better described as steady momentum which keeps growing. Romney/Ryan 53.5 to Obama/Biden 46.5.

Those two are really funny. thanks for good humor, it is lacking on this board sometimes

If there are such voters, that has got to be the smallest voting block in the universe. Liberals usually tend to disfavor hardcore Tea Party candidates, in my experience. Moderates too.

I try to make it a policy not to make statements I can't back up. Here are some post-Ryan polls compared to the pollsters own earlier polls pre-Ryan polling. You can see the movement, and by comparing this way you are comparing apples to apples because each pollster's methodology is slightly different.

1) Associated Press/GfK 8/16-8/20 O 47 R 46 O +1
6/14-6/18 O 47 R 44 O +3

2) NBC News/Wall St Jrnl 8/16-8/20 O 48 R 44 O +4
7/18-7/22 O 49 R 43 O +6

3) Rasmussen Tracking 8/19-8/21 O 44 R 46 R +2 (I couldn't pull the prior report from a week earlier but if memory serves correct it was tied or Obama by 1.)

4) Gallup Tracking 8/15 O 45 R 47 R +2
8/6 O 46 R 46 Even

There's a few.

Go to 538 for comprehensive analysis across all polls. It eliminates cherry picking. Ryan's bump has been the smallest VP bump in the last 25 years. That's a fact, though it doesn't mean everything. It's just a fact.

Good lord, seriously? You think Romney is going to make a 8 point move in the popular vote over the next 70 days? You think he can win by 6 freaking percentage points? No offense, but that's crazy. I'm not saying Romney can't win, but he's a clear and consistent trailer right now. He not winning anything but an absolute, up-til-4am squeaker. What makes you think candidate Mitt Romney will suddenly make what would likely be the largest late surge in a general election in the last 50 years? Obama would have to drown a puppy on live TV to lose that badly. Maybe not even then.

Back