• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

Dino was a putrid head coach. That being said, there is a very plausible argument to be made that Bzzz is substantially worse than Dino.

Wellman gets a pass on hiring Dino after Skip's death (although I thought it was a shortsighted move at the time, as did many others), and Wellman actually scores some points in my mind for firing Dino despite the win over Texas - ballsy, but correct move. Unfortunately, he lost considerably more points with his hiring and "overwhelming public support" of Bz last year as we got demolished time and time again. If things don't improve by the end of the year, he needs to step up again and make the correct, yet ballsy move. I don't think he has it in him, and I think we will get 4 years of Bz, will not make the NCAA tournament during that stretch, and can only hope that our next coach will be "The One." Only 50-50 chance that Wellman will be the one to hire him.

Change the 50-50 to 100% and Bz having til the end of next season and I agree completely. For the record I think WF will be on the bubble next season and solidly in when the 2012 class is Sophomores.

Al Golden just suffered an embarrassing lost to BC the last game of the regular season and his contract runs through 2016. Why did he just get a contract extension to 2020? Was it really necessary at that time?

You guys act like you've never heard of contract extensions being just for show. It happens all the time.

I don't at all disagree with the underlying implication, but I suspect Golden's contract had some meat to it (more money, bigger buy out, etc).

And the Wellman gave him an extension so he could go recruit some more players.

Does that make sense if the culture brought in by the coach is an issue?

ABC, it would be ballsy, but I don't trust Wellman to run another coaching search. On the other hand, I doubt he could do this bad again. We're doomed for a run of futility regardless.

If he manned up and fired Bz after two years, it seems to me he would also be forced to acknowledge (publicly and privately) that his unilateral search-system was flawed to begin with. Regardless, if you are going to take a flier on a coach, take a young, energetic coach. While different sports, compare Vandy's new football coach to Bzz. While both may fail, at least you are taking a chance for greatness with the unproven young guy as opposed to taking a chance with the proven-to-be-mediocre-for-years old guy.

Random Points:

1) Why did Dave Wojcik flee after one year as an assistant? He played point guard for Dino in high school, and coached under him at Loyola. Did he leave for a better job? He left an ACC program for Boise St, not exactly the mecca of college basketball. It was a get me the fuck away from here move.

2) If Dino was all that why has no other program snatched him up in 2 yrs? The guy has baggage.

3) My theory on why Wellman hired Bz is partially due to his age. Once he struck out on Brad Stevens, I think he intentionally picked an older coach. If Bz works out, I can see Wellman retiring at virtually the same time as Grobe and Bz. The new AD will be able to hire his own coaches for the 2 premier programs.

Random Points:

1) Why did Dave Wojcik flee after one year as an assistant? He played point guard for Dino in high school, and coached under him at Loyola. Did he leave for a better job? He left an ACC program for Boise St, not exactly the mecca of college basketball. It was a get me the fuck away from here move.

2) If Dino was all that why has no other program snatched him up in 2 yrs? The guy has baggage.

3) My theory on why Wellman hired Bz is partially due to his age. Once he struck out on Brad Stevens, I think he intentionally picked an older coach. If Bz works out, I can see Wellman retiring at virtually the same time as Grobe and Bz. The new AD will be able to hire his own coaches for the 2 premier programs.

keeper, care to retort?

Random Points:

Same question for Mark Pope after last season. Although, I do understand the draw that BYU would have for a Mormon.

The general consensus from everyone, Bzziners and Bzzouters, is that firing Dino was the right thing. The disagreement is over whether hiring Bzz was the right thing (and whether Dino should have ever been anything more than interim or giving an extension 6 months before being booted).

Same question for Mark Pope after last season. Although, I do understand the draw that BYU would have for a Mormon.

Pope was being demoted back to a DoBo role, but wouldnt accept it. So he left.

Random Points:

Are we still paying his contract? If so, that would be a pretty good incentive for him to not seek out another job.

Dino+Gaudio+NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+First+1WvPj_OMUB5l.jpg

wfu-coach

The general consensus from everyone, Bzziners and Bzzouters, is that firing Dino was the right thing. The disagreement is over whether hiring Bzz was the right thing (and whether Dino should have ever been anything more than interim or giving an extension 6 months before being booted).

Dino was not doing a good enough job. With that said, his firing can't be separated from Bzz's hiring. There was nothing drastic enough (publicly known) to fire Dino without a much better coach ready to go. Dino wasn't good, but he could have done a lot better last year with his own established system, and his own recruits. Instead we had a stubborn 60 year old coach trying to push square pegs into round holes, and it took all the air out of the fanbase. There is no excuse for that. What good happened to our program that was worth firing a coach coming off his first NCAA tournament win, with a good 5 person recruiting class coming in?

Last edited:
He has 61-31 baggage......

If we're using the argument that Bz inherited the talent on the Air Force teams and thus must throw out those stats, then we must use the same argument for Dino's tenure.

Dino was not doing a good enough job. With that said, his firing can't be separated from Bzz's hiring. There was nothing drastic enough (publicly known) to fire Dino without a much better coach ready to go. Dino wasn't good, but he could have done a lot better last year with his own established system, and his own recruits. Instead we had a stubborn 60 year old coach trying to push square pegs into round holes, and it took all the air out of the fanbase. There is no excuse for that.

I generally agree with this. There were reasons to fire Dino no doubt, but I would've hoped that Wellman would've had somebody better lined up to replace him than [Redacted]. Wellman gave the poor late season/post season results under Dino as the reason (there were more reason I'm sure) and yet he brings in a coach with probably a worse post-season record or even worse hardly any post-season record cause he rarely reached it and an overall record that paled in comparasion to Dino's at Wake. I've always hope it would come out that Wellman had some kind of verbal agreement with Stevens or another coach that would've made sense and they backed out leaving Wellman in a pinch and that's why we ended up with Bzzzz. Unfortunately, I've never heard that.

If we're using the argument that Bz inherited the talent on the Air Force teams and thus must throw out those stats, then we must use the same argument for Dino's tenure.

Dino helped recruit all of those players. We didn't hire him off the street. Where was Bzz when that Air Force roster was being put together? How well did Bzz's recruits do at Air Force, after he left?

Last edited:
I just don't understand why Wellman didn't wait one more year to fire Dino. The team would have been no better last year with Dino coaching and it would have made the move a lot more sensible.

Wake's record 2 years before Dino arrived: 17-17 (3-13)
Wake's record the year before Dino arrived: 15-16 (5-11)
Wake's record in Dino's first year: 17-13 (7-9)
Wake's record in Dino's second year: 24-7 (11-5)

Air Force's record 2 years before [Redacted] arrived: 22-7 (12-2)
Air Force's record the year before [Redacted] arrived: 18-12 (9-5)
Air Force's record in [Redacted]'s first year: 24-7 (12-4)
Air Force's record in [Redacted]'s second year: 26-9 (10-6)

Back