• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rubio

Republicans think Obama the worst person ever, so they gladly step up to the mic and give a response bashing the worst person ever. The problem with the Republican response is that it comes after Obama is at his best. Great speaker, engaging, non-partisan, and calling for unity. A guy in CNN's focus group said it well. Wish I could find it. He said that Rubio just made it clear that Republicans weren't going to work with the President and seek out more gridlock.

But the FNC focus group said they loved it because it was "anecdotal" and represented "American values".

I guess with all the hype I expected better from Rubio. But he just fell right in lockstep with the Hannity/Limbaugh absolutism style of conservatism.

It would have been way more awesome if Ricky Rubio or RUFFIO! trotted out for the speech.

This morning on Morning Joe, Joe tried to compare Rubio and Obama in terms of experience before running for President. Harold Ford nicely reminded him that when Obama had his one shot to deliver a major national address, he knocked it out of the park with one of the great speeches of all time. I think last night should effectively end the Rubio/Obama comparisons. Rubio blew his shot. Obama rode his to two terms.

This morning on Morning Joe, Joe tried to compare Rubio and Obama in terms of experience before running for President. Harold Ford nicely reminded him that when Obama had his one shot to deliver a major national address, he knocked it out of the park with one of the great speeches of all time. I think last night should effectively end the Rubio/Obama comparisons. Rubio blew his shot. Obama rode his to two terms.

The only real comparison is that the GOP is desperate to trot out a minority that speaks well because they still think that's all it took to win voters over in 2008. They knee jerked into selecting Michael Steele as the GOP chair, then trotted out Jindal for the rebuttal to Obama's first SOTU. Now Rubio.

The only real comparison is that the GOP is desperate to trot out a minority that speaks well because they still think that's all it took to win voters over in 2008. They knee jerked into selecting Michael Steele as the GOP chair, then trotted out Jindal for the rebuttal to Obama's first SOTU. Now Rubio.

Steele delivered in 2010. Has Preibus?

Yeah, the criticisms of Steele haven't stood the test of time. He didn't bring minorities into the party, but he did bring a very strong mid-term and some special election wins that gave them redistricting power.

LK, the Tea Party was still around in 2012.

This is a bit exaggerated. Rubio did very well at the RNC. Also, you're really going to say Rubio "blew his shot" close to four years before the next election?

Let me just add, in full disclosure, I voted for Obama. Also, as far as pubs go, I would GLADLY vote for Christie over Rubio if they both ran in '16. However, the dems on this board falling over themselves to announce the downfall of Rubio as a viable candidate is a bit much.

Yeah, the criticisms of Steele haven't stood the test of time. He didn't bring minorities into the party, but he did bring a very strong mid-term and some special election wins that gave them redistricting power.

Yep.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but you're not giving President Obama and the ACA enough credit.

Bit of a difference between presidential election years involving an incumbent, and mid term elections.

If Obama was the reason for Steele's success, wouldn't campaigning against an Obama ticket be MORE successful for Preibus?

I'm shocked Preibus is still head of the RNC. He managed to lose his pivotal swing home state despite winning the recall election and having the VP nominee. He's a lightweight. He had every advantage Steele had in 2010 and failed to capitalize.

I'm shocked Preibus is still head of the RNC. He managed to lose his pivotal swing home state despite winning the recall election and having the VP nominee. He's a lightweight. He had every advantage Steele had in 2010 and failed to capitalize.

Agreed.

Young (Ryan) and young&ethnic (Rubio) for vote pandering is missing the point. The dems didn't fall all over Obama because he was young and black, they fell all over him because of what he said and how he said it.

It's gotta start with charisma, and then if they are young or ethnic or female or whatever then fine. The most charismatic in-the-conversation Republican is Chris Christie, and his charisma stems from his boorishness and apparent "Joe 6-pack" appeal. That's ok I guess for NJ gov, but for pres? not sure, but then again the Dems don't have anyone who sniffs Obama-level charisma or Bill Clinton-level for the next go round. Hillary is brilliant and experienced and a leader, but she isn't in the same ballpark charisma-wise so maybe Christie wins.

Young (Ryan) and youngðnic (Rubio) for vote pandering is missing the point. The dems didn't fall all over Obama because he was young and black, they fell all over him because of what he said and how he said it.

It's gotta start with charisma, and then if they are young or ethnic or female or whatever then fine. The most charismatic in-the-conversation Republican is Chris Christie, and his charisma stems from his boorishness and apparent "Joe 6-pack" appeal. That's ok I guess for NJ gov, but for pres? not sure, but then again the Dems don't have anyone who sniffs Obama-level charisma or Bill Clinton-level for the next go round. Hillary is brilliant and experienced and a leader, but she isn't in the same ballpark charisma-wise so maybe Christie wins.

You greatly oversimplify the appeal of Christie if you think his charisma stems from boorishness.

well I don't live in NJ and I only follow his national press, but every time I see/hear about him a bunch of Republican types and some moderates like Milhouse are spooging in their pants about how he yelled at a reporter or yelled at a teacher about unions or told someone off with some "real-talk" and how his simple-toughtalk style is so refreshing and boner-inducing. to me that's boorishness. his lack of poltico polish when he opens his mouth has endeared him to millions. Hell, his cloddish weight problem is an embodiment of his boorishness.

Last edited:
Back