• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rumor: Notre Dame Dropping 2014 Wake Forest football game

Wake Forest's Non-Conference Opponents By Year:
2011: Notre Dame, at Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Gardner-Webb
2012: Army, Liberty, at Notre Dame, Vanderbilt
2013: at Army, Rice, at Vanderbilt, TBA
2014: Army, Northern Illinois, at Rice, at Vanderbilt
2015: at Army, Vanderbilt, at Notre Dame, TBA

This is inaccurate. Perhaps a bigger slap in the face than Notre Dame dropping us is that Vanderbilt also dropped us... so we won't be playing them in 2014 and 2015 (first link). I think the game with Northern Illinois is off for 2014 too (second link). Pretty sure our only confirmed dates next year are opening Saturday August 30th at Louisiana Monroe and then Saturday September 20th at home vs Army. We also know Virginia Tech will be coming to Groves next year (last link)

www.fbschedules.com/2013/08/vanderbilt-wake-forest-cancel-2014-2015-football-games/

http://www.hustlebelt.com/niu/2013/...dules-home-and-home-series-with-unlv-starting

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-an...nal-football-opponents-through-2024/12514988/

Last edited:
I'm fine with playing Vandy every year, but as an end-of-season rivalry game it sucks - we should end the year playing Duke, State, or UNC every year

I'm fine with playing Vandy every year, but as an end-of-season rivalry game it sucks - we should end the year playing Duke, State, or UNC every year

We aren't playing Vandy at the end of every year anymore. They agreed it sucks and dropped us... see my post above

We aren't playing Vandy at the end of every year anymore. They agreed it sucks and dropped us... see my post above

I know we aren't - I'm saying is be fine adding them back onto the non conference schedule provided it wasn't an end-of-season rivalry game

Wake Forest's Non-Conference Opponents By Year:
2011: Notre Dame, at Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Gardner-Webb
2012: Army, Liberty, at Notre Dame, Vanderbilt
2013: at Army, Rice, at Vanderbilt, TBA
2014: Army, Northern Illinois, at Rice, at Vanderbilt
2015: at Army, Vanderbilt, at Notre Dame, TBA

I just copied this from wakeforestsports.com

That's waaaaay out of date york....see no @Louisiana-Monroe in '14.

Sad that our home page is that out of date.....

ULM on Aug 30th and Army on Sept 20th are the only games that are set. Indiana and at Army in '15, Tulane, Delaware and at Indiana in '16.

Wake just did a H&H with ULM...of the Sun Belt

Baylor just finished a home and home with ULM. It's not that unusual for a BCS team to play a home and home with a Sun Belt team when the Sun Belt team has leverage which ULM had last year as Tulane dropped its game with WF, and there weren't many FBS teams with an open date on the schedule.

Last edited:
Sad that our home page is that out of date.....

Agree....but the changes were relatively recent. Rice bugged out late and Wellman had to scramble to find the H&H with L-M. last Spring. Brandon linked the N. Illinois 'out' ( THANK GAWD ! ) and I believe the Vandy series was cancelled by request of them. Add in the ACC expansion/ND 5-pack deal that also affected OOC skeds.

Heard Duke will be played henceforth post Thanksgiving weekend.....

Hearing that as well so that UNC/NC State will be post Thanksgiving weekend too (Duke doesn't want their home game with UNC to be that weekend every other year when the students are gone).

So, to summarize, the following programs have begged out of playing (or asked to delay the game) WF over the past a couple of years:

Vandy
ND
AF
NIU
Rice
Tulane

Am I missing anyone? Pretty amazing when considering that football teams only play 4 OOC games a year.

Apparently, playing WF is perceived as a lose/lose situation.

So, to summarize, the following programs have begged out of playing (or asked to delay the game) WF over the past a couple of years:

Vandy
ND
AF
NIU
Rice
Tulane

Am I missing anyone? Pretty amazing when considering that football teams only play 4 OOC games a year.

Apparently, playing WF is perceived as a lose/lose situation.

Why would you want to play a school that could upset you and not draw enough fans to cover their ticket allotment?

From a reliable source, I heard Utah State will take Notre Dame's place next year.

Wow. Utah State is very good, but nobody knows it. They are playing Fresno State for the Mountain West title on Saturday. They are 8-4 with close losses to USC and Boise. Would never have guessed that WF would play Utah State.

Back