• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Salmon vs. Tuna

Which is better?

• Total voters
I like raw salmon a lot, but I hate hate hate cooked salmon. And smoked salmon may be one of the grossest food products on the planet to me. I physically cannot get it down.

Between this post and the crab cake post in the sandwich thread, I'm not sure what to say.

Most of the salmon people eat is farm-raised and -- objectively -- nasty. When you get to wild-caught salmon, most of the stores don't know what species of salmon they are selling. (Often times, waiters at good restaurants don't know, either). Some salmon species are barely fit for cat food (that is what they are used for). Other species - like king - is awesome. If I could only eat one type of fish for the rest of my life, it would be wild-caught king salmon. However, canned tuna nearly beats the Purina-fed kings.

Fresh smoked salmon in a Big Green Egg trumps all.

Tuna is pretty versatile...I've heard that the tuna we eat in America isn't really tuna right?

The likely problem here is that a lot of people have never had good salmon. You absolutely have to refuse to eat farm-raised salmon.

this

if i'm on the least coast, then tune. if i'm on the best coast, salmon.

Most of the salmon people eat is farm-raised and -- objectively -- nasty. When you get to wild-caught salmon, most of the stores don't know what species of salmon they are selling. (Often times, waiters at good restaurants don't know, either). Some salmon species are barely fit for cat food (that is what they are used for). Other species - like king - is awesome. If I could only eat one type of fish for the rest of my life, it would be wild-caught king salmon. However, canned tuna nearly beats the Purina-fed kings.

anytime my butcher has the king i get it. i think it's easier to find good tuna than good salmon, and the answers here seem to seal that.

Tuna is pretty versatile...I've heard that the tuna we eat in America isn't really tuna right?

so can anybody confirm this? is this real? if it's not tuna, what is it?

(unless you're just talking about the canned crap. i would easily believe that. but are tuna steaks really not tuna?)

Salmon on fly edit.jpg

Yeah, this guy was lunch that day....Fresh, Wild Alaskan Salmon is pretty tough to beat, but also pretty tough to find. Tuna is also good, but easier to find

I voted salmon just because spicy tuna rolls are like the 2nd worst sushi roll out there

Salmon, and in particular silver (coho) salmon over red (sockeye) and king (chinook) salmon. Silver is more abundant, but smaller, and as such I find the meat to be tastier. Tuna is excellent too, but I think comparing it to salmon is a bit off. A better comparison would be tuna to halibut. Very different fish, obviously, but both offer a more similar meat.

Jerry : You know chicken salad is not the opposite of tuna, salmon is the opposite of tuna, 'cos salmon swim against the current, and the tuna swim with it.

George : Good for the tuna.

I ultimately went salmon, because i love a good, fresh side of salmon, smoked salmon in a BGE, and salmon sushi. that said, the existence of seared ahi tuna almost beat all salmon.

lolwut? You can catch Bluefin off the coast of NC.

And when I say you "can catch" what I mean is "the best place in the world to fish them."

ETA: For that matter you can cath big eye and yellowfin as well.

Last edited:
Don't be confusing America with the least coast. We get our ish in straight from Japan

I voted salmon just because spicy tuna rolls are like the 2nd worst sushi roll out there

Are you talking about the ones where they just throw some spicy sauce on top or where they make up a spicy tuna mix?

Back