• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

Lol. I do like Dabo but he sounds like Joel Olsteen sometimes. It honestly is impressive that they've been able to do what they've done without paying players as some of the top programs have been for well over a decade now, but it's an entirely different ballgame now.

Lmfao, you actually believe this dumb shit?

Fine as long as they tithe to IPTAY (what do you think the 'T' stands for?)

Once upon a time it stood for ten or twenty. Depends on how far back you go. Then it went to thousands. Now, who knows.

The P has always stood for "pay."

Lmfao, you actually believe this dumb shit?
Dabo wasn't funneling money to players the way Smart was at UGA before you could hide it behind the term NIL. Clemson is trying to get an NIL collective going to do that work for him now, but yea I'm pretty confident in saying Dabo wasn't the kind of coach that was going around offering bags to high schoolers three years ago. One of the big lessons for me from all this garbage related to manipulating NIL rules is that paying recruits was way less widespread than I had thought. I'm sure boosters sweeten players' time on campus quite frequently, but I don't think (particularly in basketball but also in football) that as many programs were throwing bags to recruits as I had thought previously.

Kirby Smart basically said they aren’t going after HS QB recruits anymore because they can always find an experienced one in the transfer portal.

NIL is what it is and we are now in the game with Roll the Quad and the big hitters involved in it. May not be to the tune of others but in the game at least!

I was listening to ESPN U on Sirius, and they mentioned that Devin O'Leary was getting somewhere near 4 million dollars in NIL money for going to kentucky, which seems absurd.
not sure how deep of pockets we have with the NIL, but splashing out that much money on a single player (and honestly, he might move them from 7-5 to 9-3, tops?) at Wake is not gonna happen.

Kirby Smart basically said they aren’t going after HS QB recruits anymore because they can always find an experienced one in the transfer portal.
Yea you'll see a lot of that, which is one of the main reasons why the transfer portal is actually terrible for student athletes. High school recruiting is dead. The majority of kids will have to start out at G5 or lower level P5 schools and transfer to their "destination" school once they prove themselves in an almost minor league type arrangement. Recruits are screwed and the education aspect has been officially killed off after being slowly neglected for years.

Dabo wasn't funneling money to players the way Smart was at UGA before you could hide it behind the term NIL. Clemson is trying to get an NIL collective going to do that work for him now, but yea I'm pretty confident in saying Dabo wasn't the kind of coach that was going around offering bags to high schoolers three years ago. One of the big lessons for me from all this garbage related to manipulating NIL rules is that paying recruits was way less widespread than I had thought. I'm sure boosters sweeten players' time on campus quite frequently, but I don't think (particularly in basketball but also in football) that as many programs were throwing bags to recruits as I had thought previously.

Dude just hearing Dabo drone on about his religion makes it a near certainty they have been paying players. That guys faker than a 3 dollar bill.

Aside from the fact that they basically came out of nowhere to get like all 5 star recruiting classes a few years ago.

I was listening to ESPN U on Sirius, and they mentioned that Devin O'Leary was getting somewhere near 4 million dollars in NIL money for going to kentucky, which seems absurd.
not sure how deep of pockets we have with the NIL, but splashing out that much money on a single player (and honestly, he might move them from 7-5 to 9-3, tops?) at Wake is not gonna happen.
I fucking hate hearing sports media people say something like that. They should call it what it is. It's pay for play. It's not NIL. They contribute to the confusion among fans and refuse to call out rule breaking for what it is. Devin Leary is not receiving "NIL money", he's receiving a bribe or a salary depending on how you look at it.

Yea you'll see a lot of that, which is one of the main reasons why the transfer portal is actually terrible for student athletes. High school recruiting is dead. The majority of kids will have to start out at G5 or lower level P5 schools and transfer to their "destination" school once they prove themselves in an almost minor league type arrangement. Recruits are screwed and the education aspect has been officially killed off after being slowly neglected for years.

I agree that’s what is happening. I disagree that the education aspect has been killed off. Plenty of regular students start out at one school, prove themselves, and transfer to a “better school.” Plenty start out at a school, struggle and drop out as well.

I agree that’s what is happening. I disagree that the education aspect has been killed off. Plenty of regular students start out at one school, prove themselves, and transfer to a “better school.”
Yea but when athletes have no intention of finishing semesters once the season is over because they know they're transferring, that is education out the window. Clawson basically said some guys are doing what they're supposed to be (Christian Turner, Cooley), and finishing the semester through exams and staying in practice, and some guys just left. It seemed like from the reporting and Clawson's words that the guys that stayed around are the guys that actually wanted to stay but were informed they had to transfer because all of the roster spots had already been filled. That's another huge problem created by the covid year and transfer portal, that even a guy as dedicated to his players as Clawson has to chanse guys off the roster prematurely because of the craziness and uncertainty of roster management.

He did say something to that effect, but they were one of the final schools in the Arch Manning recruitment. He's also got a 4-star with four years experience in Todd Monken's system lined up for next year with two 5-stars behind him.

I'd think Hartman would be worth that for another year at wake
I disagree. The sentiment I gather is if Wake wants to play the bribery / pay for play game, which we have decided we want to, it can't be huge money on one player for one year especially with another guy in that position in waiting and the roster overall in a time of transition. Spending all of our bribery / pay for play budget on Sam for one year would be damaging when we could instead use it to keep guys like Grimes, Mays, and Robinson who will be offered money to transfer at the end of next season on the roster.

Back