• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

Yeah, i’m with you here. Sam already has a Wake degree, is a 5 year Wake letterman, has the ACC passing touchdown record as a Deac, has led Wake to 3(?) bowls, including an ACC championship game. I’m not going to begrudge him for 1 game against us.
No one is begrudging him anything. People seem to be conflating holding a grudge with just not rooting for him while he's at ND.

Can someone explain the rationale behind offering $3M to a player that will only play one year? What's in it for the person that offers it other than a medium/low chance to win the championship?
Status among the social elite of that school

On another note, as someone who has literally watched every single snap of Sam’s college career, I do not see this playing out all that well for ND.
I think Sam can do some damage with a really good offensive line. I don’t know enough about ND’s roster to know if they have that

On another note, as someone who has literally watched every single snap of Sam’s college career, I do not see this playing out all that well for ND.
Unfortunately this is something I think you and I can agree on. Hope we’re both wrong though.

Can someone explain the rationale behind offering $3M to a player that will only play one year? What's in it for the person that offers it other than a medium/low chance to win the championship?

4 of ND’s 12 opponents next year are ACC teams that Hartman has faced multiple times (Duke, Louisville, Clemson, NC State) plus Wake and Pitt. That’s a massive advantage to bring in a transfer that has that type of familiarity with an opponent.

Last edited:
Sam who is from Cornelius NC would be replacing Drew Pyne who is also originally from Cornelius NC. Small world

4 of ND’s 12 opponents next year are ACC Atlantic teams that Hartman has faced multiple times (Duke, Louisville, Clemson, NC State) plus Wake and Pitt. That’s a massive advantage to bring in a transfer that has that type of familiarity with an opponent.
I think that’s a bit of an overstatement. Duke - played once under this coaching staff (also nit-picky but Duke was a Coastal team). Louisville - played zero times with this coaching staff. Clemson - had one good game against them and 3-4 awful ones. State - played well against. Wake - never played but practiced against in an entirely different offense. Pitt - played very poorly against.

I wish Sam the best. I am grateful for all he has done for MSD. I think one year playing ND is hard to turn down, especially when the NFL isn’t a guarantee. I just hope the starting job at ND is guaranteed to go to him. I don’t want him to get there and be benched and forgotten. He deserves to go out higher than that.

This is it. Wish him the best but not while he is playing for a college not named Wake Forest. It’s fine with me Notre Dame loses every game next year even if it fucks up sams nfl prospects. If sam wants to bet on himself go ahead. But rooting for another “big name program” because one of our former players is there trying to do something he felt like he couldn’t do here is too lowf for me.
Did we offer him 3 million dollars though?

Just hope he understands what he's getting himself into. He has a Louisville game and we still love him. Do that at football factory university and he might need to hide his pets. Appreciate his time at Wake but no way in hell am I pulling for Notre Dame.

Yeah and dumb people on Twitter don’t seem to get this. Thamel is one of the top insiders. It essentially means it’s a done deal. Therefore he has either been in contact with ND or with Sam who has been in contact with ND.
Yep it’s tampering to a T. But as Claw says, there is not enforcement. Perhaps there’s a crazy conspiracy of Hartman exposing the system ony last minute name in portal then bam, Notre Dame (ha).

I do think we are in a bubble that will burst as we get more data points about how things work in the NIL era.

From an ND standpoint, they have six home games next year and the average ticket price looks around $150. So in theory, 3,300 additional tickets per game would breakeven on $3m, ignoring any other short-term benefits (e.g. $6m for making the CFP semis).

Depending on where the money comes from, in theory there are some legit marketing opportunities that would help recoup the cost for a collective or individual donor, although from what I've been reading that seems to be not a big priority for most NIL deals.

Back