• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

Don’t be. It wasn’t happening, and unlike Notre Dame we can’t rent one of the better offensive lines in college football.
Actually I am surprised Wake hasn't gone portal shopping for some O-line guys. It has been fruitful getting D-line guys from the portal. Why not grab some O-line guys from there as well? Wake has lost O-line guys who went into the portal. Time for the portal to give back.

Actually I am surprised Wake hasn't gone portal shopping for some O-line guys. It has been fruitful getting D-line guys from the portal. Why not grab some O-line guys from there as well? Wake has lost O-line guys who went into the portal. Time for the portal to give back.
What o-line guys did WF lose in the portal? In recent years, unless I am having a senior moment, all of the starting o-line left only after their eligibility expired.

WF lost DE Bothroyd to Oklahoma (FWIW, he has 5 tackles in 3 games; no sacks or TFLs)

I'd also guess that the staff prioritizes training its OL how to block in the WF scheme. With 1-year rentals, you don't get that training time.

What o-line guys did WF lose in the portal? In recent years, unless I am having a senior moment, all of the starting o-line left only after their eligibility expired.

WF lost DE Bothroyd to Oklahoma (FWIW, he has 5 tackles in 3 games; no sacks or TFLs)
While we have 2 of the top sack-getters in the nation. Bothroyd would have been great in year 2 of Lambert.

I'd also guess that the staff prioritizes training its OL how to block in the WF scheme. With 1-year rentals, you don't get that training time.

Doesn’t seem like our line benefitted from the training time tbf

Unless the desired progression is from good to very not good over the course of a year

By PFF grades, Jurgens and Gordon have been really good, elite, all year. Always felt like Gordon would make an NFL roster, and Jurgens is a beast.

Losing Sharpe has hurt. Spencer Clapp was hurt, but is returning for GT. Thought the O-line played well against Vandy; Elon and ODU not so much (but ODU can be attributed to injuires, and the O-line played better, like everyone else, in the 2nd half). O-line progression going to comedown to how the new guys, Pettibon, Gulbin and Russell develop. Right now, it's been spotty.

They tried to get a readymade OL from the portal before having much success with transfers at any other position.

But Terrance Davis was never healthy and all they did was marvel at his size and what he could become if he were ever healthy.

Not saying because one guy didn't work out they should never take OLs from the portal; just think it drove home the point that they're better off developing that position through 5-year recruiting.

Seems like RB and WR/TE depth are the only likely transfers on offense.

Have we had a single offensive starting player during our bowl streak under Clawson? (Not counting emergency starters like Jaeger Bull). The only guy I can think of before that is KJ Brent, and not even sure if he was actually a starter when looking at the #s.

On the flipside, on defense we've been starting five transfers this year (Pointer, Ganious, Roberts, Mustapha, Garnes)

Re: Hartman, I always appreciated him but after watching Griffis these past few games and going back and watching some of the OL / all play offensive highlights from the past few years, I don't think I gave him enough credit for his ability to get the ball out quick and on time, almost always under 3 seconds. More of a skill than I realized.

Last edited:
Re: Hartman, I always appreciated him but after watching Griffis these past few games and going back and watching some of the OL / all play offensive highlights, I don't think I gave him enough credit for his ability to get the ball out quick and on time, almost always under 3 seconds.
same

Re: Hartman, I always appreciated him but after watching Griffis these past few games and going back and watching some of the OL / all play offensive highlights from the past few years, I don't think I gave him enough credit for his ability to get the ball out quick and on time, almost always under 3 seconds. More of a skill than I realized.

True even if I didn’t like where it went in under 3 seconds.

Very interested to see how he performs this week vs Ohio State

Have we had a single offensive starting player during our bowl streak under Clawson? (Not counting emergency starters like Jaeger Bull). The only guy I can think of before that is KJ Brent, and not even sure if he was actually a starter when looking at the #s.

On the flipside, on defense we've been starting five transfers this year (Pointer, Ganious, Roberts, Mustapha, Garnes)
Donald Stewart didn't start in '21 but was the No. 3 WR. And then Christian Turner was basically the same last year, just at RB, not starting but playing a bunch.

Important thing to me with both of them: Those were their second seasons in the program. It sure looks easier to get plug-and-play guys on defense than offense. Seems emphatic when guys from Stanford, Michigan and Tennessee struggle to gain traction (a little unfair for Stewart, as he was hurt in '20), while guys from Richmond (x2), N.C. A&T, ULM and Villanova can be some of your best players.

Easy explanation. There's a good chance elite G5/FCS guys can compete on a P5 defense. But guys who couldn't get on the field for P5 programs, even top P5 programs may not be able to compete at a P5 level.

Back