• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

FWIW, Duke has 5 o-line portal transers

Jake Hornibrook from Stanford starts at RT
Ben Hoitink (Penn), Scott Elliot (Harvard) have played in all three games. They also have OL transfers Angelo State and Georgetown that have not played.

Also, although it's in a lesser conference, South Carolina has a starting guard, Nick Gargiulo, from Yale.

Last edited:
Easy explanation. There's a good chance elite G5/FCS guys can compete on a P5 defense. But guys who couldn't get on the field for P5 programs, even top P5 programs may not be able to compete at a P5 level.
correct, but it doesn't stop masses from groaning whenever you bring in a guy from the FCS or low FBS and in the same breath point out the people leaving from Bama/Michigan asking why Wake isn't pursuing them. Or well the discussion in another thread of why doesn't Wake just go pluck some 4 or 5 star QB that couldn't see the field somewhere else

correct, but it doesn't stop masses from groaning whenever you bring in a guy from the FCS or low FBS and in the same breath point out the people leaving from Bama/Michigan asking why Wake isn't pursuing them. Or well the discussion in another thread of why doesn't Wake just go pluck some 4 or 5 star QB that couldn't see the field somewhere else
Right. Neither is a given. Luiji Villan worked out well from Michigan.

FWIW, Duke has 4 o-line portal transers

Jake Hornibrook from Stanford starts at RT
Ben Hoitink (Penn), Scott Elliot (Harvard) have played in all three games. They also have OL transfers Angelo State and Georgetown that have not played.
That's pretty much how you have to treat portal OL these days. Rare you get just one and boom your fine. Even if you only need one starter, you're playing roulette.

Right. Neither is a given. Luiji Villan worked out well from Michigan.
He did! But that's where the situation also makes a difference. Are they missing out on playing time because other guys have just passed them up? Or is it because they haven't been able to stay healthy. Luiji was a clear case of the latter when you went back and watched him at Michigan. But you don't want to make a habit out of lottery tickets because injury history is a scary thing

What o-line guys did WF lose in the portal? In recent years, unless I am having a senior moment, all of the starting o-line left only after their eligibility expired.

WF lost DE Bothroyd to Oklahoma (FWIW, he has 5 tackles in 3 games; no sacks or TFLs)
Depending on your definition of recent, but Orlando Heggs and Mike Edwards are two O-line guys who transferred out. They were freshmen with Jurgens in 2018.

Last edited:
I think our groaning was more about the D3 and D2 guys we brought in. Personally, and based upon nothing other than my own thoughts, had we put Jackson Henley on a scholarship he would still be here, and instead we used that scholarship on transfers.

Also, thanks Homefield, well done. Could've done this last year ya know.

SamHartmanSQ-00028_120x.jpg

I think our groaning was more about the D3 and D2 guys we brought in. Personally, and based upon nothing other than my own thoughts, had we put Jackson Henley on a scholarship he would still be here, and instead we used that scholarship on transfers.
Sure and I think we are getting more use out of our D2, D3 transfers like Roberts, Ganious, and Rankin than Henley at WR.

this is a very weird point to make right after Jacob Roberts got national defensive player of the year and Bryce Ganious had two tackles and a sack

Also, thanks Homefield, well done. Could've done this last year ya know.

SamHartmanSQ-00028_120x.jpg

Maybe we'll get Haas merch instead.

this is a very weird point to make right after Jacob Roberts got national defensive player of the year and Bryce Ganious had two tackles and a sack
Neither of those guys were D2 or D3. We have seen great results from the D-IAA guys (FCS), Turner, Malik, and Roberts. I absolutely understand going for those guys, and think that is a great part of what we are doing in the portal. My point was in reference to Helbig the Grad Transfer and Rankin. Rankin seems to have been a great find, so the groaning may have been premature.

Easy explanation. There's a good chance elite G5/FCS guys can compete on a P5 defense. But guys who couldn't get on the field for P5 programs, even top P5 programs may not be able to compete at a P5 level.
For sure. I would love to get that insane tackling machine from ODU, Jason Henderson.

I think we should have tried to find a way to keep him at Wake for 1 more year

Saw some comments on Twitter criticizing Sam for not being more aggressive in a couple of situations last night (like not stretching out for the first down line on their first drive of the game). The criticism was almost exclusively situations were he was more aggressive last year and it backfired.

Back