• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sarr

It will be interesting to see who gets waivers transferring out of Wake Forest and into Wake Forest. Will there be the consistency of all yes or all no? Will the NCAA cherry pick and play favorites?

Sarr will be the 24th player to enter Wake as a freshman and leave prior to completing their eligibility under Manning. We should be familiar with this by now. Culture!

Last edited:
I don't really understand the "I will always be a Deac and hope the fans see me that way as well" stuff these kids always say when they transfer.

You can't always be a Deac if you decide to transfer. No problem with his move (if he actually ends up getting a waiver) but he's most definitely not a Demon Deacon.

May be in the minority with that take, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I can't say if you're (we're) in the minority, but you're definitely not alone.

Bad analogy. This is like if you were pre-med and we replaced Dr. Nick from the Simpsons with Dr. Atala. Just because the faculty got replaced doesn't mean they would be worse or less likely to benefit your career.

It may be a bad analogy but not for this reason. Wake could absolutely be worse next year than we would have been if the whole team had stayed along with Manning. And regardless of how us ultra-biased fans feel about it the person whose future depends on that outcome is certainly entitled to make the call. And c'mon. Chaundee out. Neath out. New coach and not looking like a lot of immediate help on the way. If it's one year Kentucky is clearly a better spot for Sarr than Wake is - if you can be objective about it.

http://wfuogb.com/2019/09/spotlight-olivier-sarr/

Standing at around 7 feet tall and with a French accent, Olivier Sarr’s presence is easily noticeable on campus. Hailing from Toulouse, France, Sarr first came to the United States when he was 15 years old to develop his basketball skills. Sarr was ranked as a four-star recruit by Rivals coming out of INSEP, France’s National Institute of Sports. In 2017, he committed to Wake Forest over offers from UC-Berkley, UCF and Vanderbilt. Sarr has represented France in the 2016 U-17 World Championship and the 2017 FIBA U-18 European Championship. Sarr has endured some rough stretches over his first two seasons at Wake Forest. Collectivelly, the Demon Deacons have not had a winning season in men’s basketball since going to the NCAA Tournament in 2016-17. Sarr is ready to turn the tides for the men’s basketball program in 2019-20 and make his presence felt on the court.

Rafael Lima: How was it to come from a different country, perhaps a different basketball culture, to play in Winston-Salem, N.C.?

Olivier Sarr: My freshman year was kind of like my discovery year and getting used to everything. Even the language, speaking [English] in the locker room, I couldn’t speak well with my teammates. You know when you learn a language in school? You learn the basic stuff. You don’t learn the slang and the way people talk [in the United States]. So, it was kind of hard at first, but then my teammates took care of me. They really welcomed me. I was part of the family.

RL: What are some of the differences between playing for the French National Team and playing Division I college basketball in the United States?

OS: Oh, playing with the [French] National Team is a completely different thing than playing in college. Here, you have athletes everywhere. Everybody is physically ready. You can’t be better than other guys [in the United States] just because you jump higher than them. Everybody jumps high in here; everybody runs fast. So, it’s really different. Here is more like [focused on the] individual, I would say, than in Europe where they have a system-led [approach]. In Europe is more of [a focus on] a system, in here it is more about the players.

RL: Despite the recent adversity, the basketball team seems to have a really close bond. You all have a lot of guys that hang together off the court. What do you do whenever you’re not on a basketball court?

OS: Yeah, this plays a big role for us [on the court]. Our cohesion and our chemistry is really good. Everybody gets along with everybody. We go to the Pit together all the time. After practice, we go to our house altogether and play some [NBA] 2K or whatever. We just have fun with each other. That helps us on the court too. When you’re that close and you know you have something to say to a teammate, like criticism, he’s not going to take it the bad way.

RL: You mentioned how much you had to adjust coming into the United States How much do you think your game has changed over your first two season in here?

OS: I would say my game changed [as] I changed physically. I gained 50 pounds. I’m able to do stuff that I couldn’t do before physically. Just like, going to the paint, finishing with contact, being more aggressive, grabbing a rebound — literally every aspect of the game [changed].

RL: Is there anything you would like people to know about the men’s basketball team that they might not know on a surface level?

OS: The thing I want people to know is that everybody in this team is dedicated, committed and hard workers. We all want to win. It was hard these past few years, and I know some fans are disappointed. They are probably [thinking about] not coming to our games anymore. But, we’re just working. We’re doing everything it takes to win game after game after game, and we’ll see where this takes us at the end of the season.

Interesting Q&A with Sarr prior to this past season starting. States a couple times how close the team is despite the fans/program not wanting to believe in them.

I seem to remember wakes education being the deciding factor when he chose wake...or at least 1 of them. Clearly he is throwing that away by going to "a place like Kentucky"

Couple that with his dismissing the chance of staying with players he is familiar with...and I think you can't trust what a 20-21 year old kid says lol.

Everything Olivier has pointed out about Wake during his time there in a positive light was ignored with his decision to go to Kentucky. I 100% agree that Danny was on the phone with Sarr saying something along the lines of "F Wake forest...they dont care about us...they wont even pay me my money that is owed"...at least seams like the most feasible scenario to me. Unless all this kid cares about is making it to the league...which I hope he is not like most KY NBA players and disappear the day after the draft

Good luck Sarr..but like some of the other posters...the sooner we can get rid of anything that had to do with the last 10 years the better. Wake was not going to be competitive next year unless we didn't lose a single player...and that was not realistic

https://deadspin.com/wake-forest-s-new-basketball-coach-is-already-the-laugh-1843295082

I tweeted this reply to the “author”:

Wake isn’t going to be good next year. Kentucky will be good and had a glaring need for a center. Sarr will be a senior. Pretty flawed logic to come to the conclusion Forbes is a “laughingstock” and can’t recruit based on those premises.

He blocked me. What a turd.

Do not give that zombie site any clicks. Nobody should be reading deadspin.

Can we round up all those posts though on this Board that said Sarr did not like Manning and was more inclined to stay if he was let go?

Is this actually true...like we have direct quotes from Sarr saying this...or is it "I heard from my brother who has a sister at wake who's friend one time heard that Sarr told his best friend..."

I have a feeling anyone that is leaving actually thought Danny was a good coach...and feels slighted that he was fired. And if you follow manning...he was "completely shocked" that he was fired....not sure if I am dumb enough to believe that...but if he truly did and he kept telling his players that...it is easy to see that the players feel they were done dirty by Wake...which is complete crap.

It doesn't matter, y'all. There's a good chance that his decision was informed by a lot of perspectives, most of which we don't have access to as adults not currently enrolled at Wake Forest and friends with Olivier Sarr. He's gone.

It doesn't matter, y'all. There's a good chance that his decision was informed by a lot of perspectives, most of which we don't have access to as adults not currently enrolled at Wake Forest and friends with Olivier Sarr. He's gone.

If there are ways to find out if D Mannequin is telling his former players that wake is a problem...isnt that another way we can get out of paying that dude any money? Or is he already getting nodda?

F Danny Manning:

https://twitter.com/ChrisFisher247/status/1258091888340541443/photo/1

I am sure this was shared when originally tweeted...but it is clear as day now that Olivier was going to do WHATEVER Danny advised him to do. Poor guy. Poor KY fans thinking they are getting a leader. maybe a leader of losing.

But you are right Strick...time to move on!

Yeah, the real takeaway here is that Danny Manning put himself before his players this spring and is probably a pretty big piece of shit human for doing something like that. Sarr's decision sucks for a lot of reasons, but if he was planning on playing professional basketball next season and his coach fucked him over, then going to Kentucky is probably a pretty good place for him to be. Just my two cents.

Yeah, the real takeaway here is that Danny Manning put himself before his players this spring and is probably a pretty big piece of shit human for doing something like that. Sarr's decision sucks for a lot of reasons, but if he was planning on playing professional basketball next season and his coach fucked him over, then going to Kentucky is probably a pretty good place for him to be. Just my two cents.

Bingo

Plus he will probably pull in a higher salary at UK than in the G-league or overseas so I guess it probably was a good decision

If I were Currie, I'd be all over the NCAA's ass making sure Sarr has to sit out a year!

Good luck at Kentucky. But you chose not to be a deacon and pissed on your education.

F Danny Manning:

https://twitter.com/ChrisFisher247/status/1258091888340541443/photo/1

I am sure this was shared when originally tweeted...but it is clear as day now that Olivier was going to do WHATEVER Danny advised him to do. Poor guy. Poor KY fans thinking they are getting a leader. maybe a leader of losing.

But you are right Strick...time to move on!

It's too bad that we have written his go-away check. I'd guess that telling the players to enter the transfer portal if he leaves would be a legitimate "cause" to void his entire contract.

I agree w/Pearl, the problem is the ease of transferring out of programs and the bad advice that these kids are given. I hate that Saar is leaving, although I felt like Danny did a poor job of utilizing him his three years here at Wake. Only the last half of the season did I /we see the Saar I envisioned for Wake. I know Saar shares the blame, but we needed him (and the others) to learn from being thrown in the fire. Why we played certain guys down 20 is beyond me.

I liked Saar as he seemed like a very good kid. Almost after every mistake or during a timeout he was talking and encouraging his teammates. For me, he's a Deac. Obviously, I wish he would have stayed and graduated. His situation is like lot Dinos, BC's, and Moore. They made decisions/gambles based on future returns. Hope it works out for him.

Back